Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rescue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Rescue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rescue - 8/25/2013 9:03:01 PM   
saiyuki

Hi all. Is it possible to rescue a ship that has run out of fuel? The thought has presented itself as a 'what-if' scenario. An exploration ship has been sent to visit an anomaly far from any friendly fuel dumps. Knowing that it will be a one-way ticket, the ship successfully reached the anomaly. During it's (continuing to explore) flight to the nearest star, it has finally expended all fuel and is now drifting alone.

I know it's just one ship out of many and likely not to be missed, but 'what-if'. I could not find a specific answer to whether this is at all possible -please forgive me if it is in black and white somewhere . After all, who leaves a crew drifting alone.

Regards
Post #: 1
RE: Rescue - 8/25/2013 9:27:25 PM   
Darkspire

Not unless you have a Goa'uld cargo ship piloted by a Tok'ra agent to go give it a nudge

Darkspire

(in reply to saiyuki)
Post #: 2
RE: Rescue - 8/25/2013 9:36:32 PM   
Fenrisfil

Lol.

Seriously though all you can do is send a resupply ship over. When I have a ship I don't want to scrap run out of fuel I point it towards the nearest fuel source and have it wait until my resupply ship can get there and deploy.

Frankly though, I don't do this for exploration ships. If I've sent it after something on the other side of the map then I already plan to scrap it when the mission is done and the fuel is exhausted. Plus of course if you have resupply ships you can always just send one of them to those long range locations.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 3
RE: Rescue - 8/25/2013 11:20:35 PM   
saiyuki

Hi. Assuming the ship is crewed and not just an automated drone.

Should a breathable environment within a ship be factored in the same as e.g Fuel? It's usual that a ship would put into a base to replenish fuel before it expires, but what of the crews ability to breath? Could this be modded into the game?

Regards

(in reply to Fenrisfil)
Post #: 4
RE: Rescue - 8/25/2013 11:35:09 PM   
Shark7

In truth, as long as the hyper-drive is not damaged, the ship will limp along at reduced speed even when out of fuel, eventually moving to some base or planet it can refuel from.

Some things were abstracted for the sake of game-play. I for one would not want to have to micromanage the refueling of every ship in my fleet, there are just too many of them.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to saiyuki)
Post #: 5
RE: Rescue - 8/26/2013 8:17:41 AM   
Canute0

Special exploring ship arn't military ships and they are allowed to refuel at other empire bases/planets you arn't at war.
You should manual explore the area of that sector to discover a new Empire or Independend planet where you can refuel.
But this would need alot of attention yourself, since a ship without fuel allways head to refuel after the current order is done.

Like writen above, the only way are send a resupply ship (when it fetch the right fuel gas before, you can deploy it anywhere) or build a gas mining station at the way the explorer comes home, if you know the resources there.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 6
RE: Rescue - 8/26/2013 10:03:50 AM   
saiyuki

Thanks for the inputs. Always things to learn

Regards

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Rescue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI