Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Capturing Main Bases

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Capturing Main Bases Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Capturing Main Bases - 8/1/2013 9:18:08 AM   
Galahad78

Good day gentlemen,

being a newbie, I need some help & piece of advice from the savvy forumites.

I'm in Nov '43 in a Grand Campaign against the AI, in the latest Beta patch. I have an stack of abt 7500 AV of assorted LCUs, including infantry, armor, artillery, combat engineers and HQs in Johore Bahru, ready to cross the river and siege Singapore. I'm already in a month-long bombing campaign against the base, airfield & port damage is 90+, and I'm starting to City-bomb.

The enemy has abt 1300 AV behind 7 forts, including a couple of IJ Divisions with 350+ AV, and plenty of supplies.

My question is, what is the best tactic to crack such a tough nut? What are the strategies you have used for such targets?

Thanks beforehand!
Post #: 1
RE: Capturing Main Bases - 8/1/2013 12:54:38 PM   
MDDgames

The only thing you can do is what you are doing. Bomb them out of supplies and take it. If you are playing the AI, then that might be harder because the AI cheats on supply.

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 2
RE: Capturing Main Bases - 8/2/2013 3:52:44 AM   
Quixote

You are essentially doing the same thing numerous JFBs have done in early 1942, just in reverse. The principle's the same, though. After you cross and shock (I highly doubt you take it first try against level 7 forts, but who knows) rest for a few turns to get your disruption and fatigue down. When both reach decent levels, then bombard the port with BBs (assuming you can get BBs there, considering mines, Japanese air, etc.) and order a deliberate attack. You will probably lose, but you will also probably lower the fort level one or two points if you have a significant AV disparity and combat engineers present. After this, simply rinse and repeat, until you lower the forts to level zero or one. At this point, rest your units a turn or two then order a shock attack - you'll most likely be the new owner of Singapore.

Note: This can be a lengthy process (honestly, it should be), but it works. If you are unable to run bombardment TFs in to help, then the process will be even slower, but it will still work.

(in reply to MDDgames)
Post #: 3
RE: Capturing Main Bases - 8/2/2013 6:41:20 PM   
Galahad78

Thanks a lot gentlemen. Then I will order my troops (who at the moment are enjoying some well deserved rest at Johore Bahru but good things end quickly ) to cross the river and start working on the forts. It's going to be difficult to assemble a BB bombard force, I just withdrew the two RN BB in theatre and USN BBs are far, far away . See how it develops. Thanks!

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 4
RE: Capturing Main Bases - 8/2/2013 7:37:10 PM   
Amoral

Make sure you switch your units to combat mode before they cross into Singapore. Watch the "distance travelled" on the LCU information pane. When the unit is a turn from completing the move, change the combat order from MOVE to COMBAT. The unit will start travelling a -lot- slower, but it will be in combat formation when it arrives. Because marching into singapore triggers an automatic shock attack for crossing a river, it is important you switch to combat before you get to the singers hex.

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 5
RE: Capturing Main Bases - 8/3/2013 5:55:43 PM   
Lomri

Prepping your units to 100 will also help the river crossing. I'm looking forward to this myself against the AI but I have to crack Alor Star first (Jan 1944). My problem is I'm on Very Hard, so the AI always has supplies. (I want a good game but I do wish I didn't have to surround every unit to destroy it else it sits in the jungles rebuilding (and building forts!) without supply ;)

(in reply to Amoral)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Capturing Main Bases Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI