Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Differences between CoH and Lock and Load?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Differences between CoH and Lock and Load? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Differences between CoH and Lock and Load? - 7/27/2013 5:30:07 PM   
TJD

I've looked at the demo of CoH and have read about Lock and Load but am still wondering how broad the differences are between the two game systems. They seem parallel in a lot of respects but I was wondering if someone could summarize the key variations? I really don't know which one to invest in.

Thanks,

Tim
Post #: 1
RE: Differences between CoH and Lock and Load? - 7/27/2013 5:56:40 PM   
wodin

Personally I'm waiting on Lock N Load. Played the demo of CoH and it just didn't click for me. I've read a fair few LnL AAR's and like the sound of it. Even better this is animated and you don't need someone else to play. Reading both CoH boardgame rules and LnL the LnL system is more for me...feels slightly less abstract.

CoH it seems to me hasn't caught on, I think they changed some things from the boardgame that didn't please the boardgame players..and I think not enough was done to it to please the PC wargame players. They made a 3D map and 3D icons which to me looked nowhere near as good as the boardgame art so I think was a waste of time. The counters are eligible when even slightly zoomed out so thats no good either. The sad thing is someone made a version for their Ipad that looked so much better than Slitherines release. I think LnL is getting it right..using the PC the right way like moving turrets on the counters, general animations plus I think is bringing in things like flanking fire.

It will take someone else who has extensive LnL play and CoH play to be honest to give you a full summary. However I'm going by what I've read and gut instinct..oh yeah and the CoH demo.

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 2
RE: Differences between CoH and Lock and Load? - 7/27/2013 5:59:17 PM   
TJD

Wodin, thanks very much for your input....

Tim

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Differences between CoH and Lock and Load? - 7/27/2013 6:13:45 PM   
danlongman

I have CoH and I like it very much. It plays well and is fun ie, it does what it is supposed to do. I am very satisfied and wouldn't rely on rumours or what somebody
thinks the game should be. Especially someone who has not played it. I look forward to LnL and I will buy it unless it is a total dog. I really like Mark Walker's
boardgame products which are first rate. The game has been in development forever and I still can't play it. Who knows when it will come out? You can buy CoH now
with an expansion. I imagine the LnL game will be first class but I have a very forgiving imagination.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 4
RE: Differences between CoH and Lock and Load? - 7/27/2013 6:29:01 PM   
TJD

Thanks, danlongman. You said you intend to buy LnL too. Does that mean you feel there are significant differences in the game systems, or is it more a matter of you wanting to support the respective developers? I haven't played the boardgame version of LnL so I'm really clueless here apart from what I've read on the web.

I'm struck that the CoH forum is so inactive. The game isn't moving well and that seems to bear out Wodin's remarks above. OTOH, LnL has been hugely delayed and still isn't on the horizon, so I guess my dilemma about which game to buy is a false one?

Thanks, guys.

Tim

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 5
RE: Differences between CoH and Lock and Load? - 7/27/2013 6:34:10 PM   
wodin

danlongman..I played the demo..thats was enough for me and I was giving my opinion overall on the game. CoH felt a touch amateurish and paled compared to the polish and artwork of the boardgame, the UI esp felt erm..cheap I suppose.The worse for me though visually is the terrible scaling of the counters once you zoom out a touch. Again these are just my opinions from the demo. It didn't catch my imagination so failed to immerse. I'd say Squad Battles AOTR or Red Victory are better games than CoH and with my 2D mod (wink, wink) look pretty cool to.(Though both SB games have a game mechanic that bugs me, one day we will get a tactical game that can be praised as the successor to the throne from Steel Panthers))

Again if money is tight wait for LnL release it can't be long as they are in the final beta stage. See what people impressions are then.

< Message edited by wodin -- 7/27/2013 6:38:39 PM >

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 6
RE: Differences between CoH and Lock and Load? - 7/28/2013 12:11:39 AM   
Jamm

I've been playing COH since it came out and as a long time tactical player I'm not disappointed.
I'll probably buy LNL game as well after it comes out. It looks good but with the long development cycle I have some concerns and will probably wait to see what players think.
To each their own, but I'll purchase any squad level game that looks and plays right.

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-works/669418463128598?ref=bookmarks

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Differences between CoH and Lock and Load? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI