Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1920/30s USCG destroyers - The Rum War at Sea

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> 1920/30s USCG destroyers - The Rum War at Sea Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1920/30s USCG destroyers - The Rum War at Sea - 7/18/2013 2:26:49 AM   
spence

While the Navy was experimenting with carriers and practicing for the war that never happened the US Coast Guard was prosecuting a real war at sea against the "Rum-Runners" off the coast of thirsty America. Although there were no mass casualties there was substantial action involving operational strategies and tactics pursued by both sides in the conflict. The Navy lent the Coast Guard a dozen or so four-pipers (and older) DDs which the CG used into the thirties: valuable training of the Officers and Petty Officers for the World War to come.

http://www.uscg.mil/history/webcutters/USCGDestroyerPage.pdf

< Message edited by spence -- 7/18/2013 2:28:33 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: 1920/30s USCG destroyers - The Rum War at Sea - 7/18/2013 3:09:32 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Rum is good!

Related note: A certain Mr. Higgins of New Orleans made a fortune by selling fast boats to the Coast Guard - and even faster boats to the rum-runners .

The design eventually culminated in the Higgins PT boat.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: 1920/30s USCG destroyers - The Rum War at Sea - 7/19/2013 11:46:27 PM   
JeffroK

I think Mr Higgins invented the LCVP, not the PT Boat.
And they were used more by the Rum smugglers than the USCG.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 3
RE: 1920/30s USCG destroyers - The Rum War at Sea - 7/20/2013 8:25:23 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Andrew Jackson Higgins designed racing motorboats, Prohibition-era rum running boats, and the fast patrol
boats which the Coast Guard used to pursue the rum runners. The Higgins boat was the landing craft used by
U.S. Marines in the Guadalcanal invasion. Higgins influenced the design of the well armed PT patrol boats of
Pacific war fame and several types of landing craft (Dunnigan and Nofi, The Pacific War).

In 1941 the Navy sponsored a competition ("Plywood Derby") between several PT boat designs from three manufacturers - Higgins, ELCO and Huckins.
In the end the Navy purchased PTs from all three.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4
RE: 1920/30s USCG destroyers - The Rum War at Sea - 7/20/2013 5:06:54 PM   
Symon

IIRC (but I do have senior moments), the genesis of the 'Higgins boat' (the LVP not the LCVP) was from his designs for fast, beachable craft for the smuggling trade in the Gulf coast/bayou regions. A very interesting man. My kind of fellow. And, oh yeah, he did different designs for the cops and the 'leggers'. A lot like the car people in the mountains back then, tweakin a car one way to run 'shine' and another way for the 'locals' trying to catch them.

He didn't invent the PT or the LCVP, but both owe a lot to his particular blend of innovative genius and je ne sais quoi.

Getting technical, his forebody shape, and dynamic lateral resistance shapes and strakes, were indeed used by all manufacturers of PT boats. He was a supremely competent practical Naval Architect, among his other attributes.

Just IMHO. Ciao. JWE

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> 1920/30s USCG destroyers - The Rum War at Sea Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI