Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Price of Distant Worlds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Price of Distant Worlds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 1:17:07 PM   
dblu

Does this game actually cost a hundred bucks or did I just not understand correctly? As there are four games already, why not market a bundle or have a new stand-alone game/expansion for people who haven't been following Distant Worlds since its dawn?

I study and work part-time, and many younger people like myself will not be buying or playing this game simply for the ridiculous selling scheme.
Post #: 1
RE: Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 2:21:01 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well the game itself (first part) isnt that bad, but it worth it. Buy it and see if you like it. Later on usually have bundle price for other expansions or 19.99 each. I havent bought the last expansion, too many bad reviews and dont think i will like it. The first two expansions is worth getting, maybe someday they will fix and improve the last expansion. I agreed they are pricey or you can wait til they go on sale, but that doesnt happen very often here on Matrixgames.

(in reply to dblu)
Post #: 2
RE: Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 3:54:53 PM   
FerretStyle

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Well the game itself (first part) isnt that bad, but it worth it.

The first DW isn't really worth anything, and gets boring after a few hours. The features in the first couple of expansions are really needed to make it a solid game. Going from original DW to Shadows is like playing two different games.

But what better way to get players interested in the series than keeping the "devoid of features beta" original for sale standalone for them to get their feet wet with?

DW: Shadows is a good game but it is too much to ask players to buy a crap game, then a "meh" game just to have access to the expansions that make the game worthwhile.

And I could hardly complain about the previous versions if the prices were reasonable, but they aren't. It is a large investment for what is essentially an incomplete game.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 3
RE: Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 5:46:29 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: FerretStyle

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Well the game itself (first part) isnt that bad, but it worth it.

The first DW isn't really worth anything, and gets boring after a few hours. The features in the first couple of expansions are really needed to make it a solid game. Going from original DW to Shadows is like playing two different games.

But what better way to get players interested in the series than keeping the "devoid of features beta" original for sale standalone for them to get their feet wet with?

DW: Shadows is a good game but it is too much to ask players to buy a crap game, then a "meh" game just to have access to the expansions that make the game worthwhile.

And I could hardly complain about the previous versions if the prices were reasonable, but they aren't. It is a large investment for what is essentially an incomplete game.

Dont think there a demo for players to test it out before buying it, all they can do is read comments posted here and check out some videos on youtube. Yes i agreed it is incomplete game in all levels all the way to last expansion.

(in reply to FerretStyle)
Post #: 4
RE: Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 5:54:52 PM   
elanaagain

Its a bit steep in price, as it stands, yes. So is War in the pacific, and many other games. The way I get my money's worth is to play some, get involved in the mods, and then move on to another (of a select few games) and then come back later. I'm quite happy with Space Empires, DW, and the Fallout/cyrodiil series. I liked the first witcher - was great. The second one was way too buggy - and rather poor in 'missions.' So Witcher is out of the loop.

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 5
RE: Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 6:27:07 PM   
Tehlongone

Well I'm happy I started buying them one at a time from the original game, otherwise I might have been discouraged by the buy-in price. It really IS worth it though, unless you don't have the money at all.

The high combined price probably reduces sales quite a bit, but lowering it is also a risk, especially with how few people seem to know the game even exists. I still get confused seeing the attention given to Endless Space and Star Drive given how much worse those games are. Maybe they'll get better, but Distant Worlds (with all expansions) is definitely the best current 4X game.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 6
RE: Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 6:31:36 PM   
Lucian

quote:

Maybe they'll get better, but Distant Worlds (with all expansions) is definitely the best current 4X game.

Having tried all three myself I can definitely agree with this. DW is clearly superior in almost all respects.

(in reply to Tehlongone)
Post #: 7
RE: Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 8:13:43 PM   
Jeeves

Do you go to movies, or rent for home viewing, or watch online?
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100814464
They work out to about 3.50-4.50 per hour. Buy the full set of Distant Worlds and expansions, play a couple of months, and your entertainment cost per hour is less than watching movies.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to dblu)
Post #: 8
RE: Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 9:10:26 PM   
dblu

I'm saying that not only would more people play DW, but also the owners would make more money off of this if the selling scheme was half-intelligent.

There are literally zero reasons for selling this game for five times the normal video game price in four different units. Just take a moment and think about how ****ing silly this is.

I'm sure this is a great game, but I for one am not going to buy it for a hundred bucks. I could as well go to Steam and buy the entire Paradox line-up, a few of the newest 4X games and have some left to get a case of beer. Oh yeah, that sounds pretty good.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 9
RE: Price of Distant Worlds - 7/16/2013 10:09:47 PM   
Antiscamp

quote:

ORIGINAL: dblu

I'm saying that not only would more people play DW, but also the owners would make more money off of this if the selling scheme was half-intelligent.

There are literally zero reasons for selling this game for five times the normal video game price in four different units. Just take a moment and think about how ****ing silly this is.

I'm sure this is a great game, but I for one am not going to buy it for a hundred bucks. I could as well go to Steam and buy the entire Paradox line-up, a few of the newest 4X games and have some left to get a case of beer. Oh yeah, that sounds pretty good.

I agree with you. In fact, my first post on this forum was pretty much something like yours. You know, "they'd get more customers with lower prices, make it a Steam-game, market better..." The lot. However, it's still their game and they're the ones selling it and I'm sure they know best what they want with their own product although I don't agree with their reasoning.

And yet here I am. I got my money's worth. Several times already. so I'm happy with Distant Worlds and I consider it one of the best games I ever bought.

(in reply to dblu)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Price of Distant Worlds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI