At the outset, I should say that I'm not sure whether this is a bug or whether it's by design.
With 22.214.171.124, I've noticed that every now and again my attacks will do critical weapon damage, taking out maybe 80 components at once (and destroying the target instantly, if it doesn't have enough components to survive the hit). I'm not sure whether this happened pre-126.96.36.199.
It only seems to happen when the player is attacking. I've never seen it happen when being attacked by a computer player.
How to confirm my findings:
(1) Start a new game with level 7 tech, normal difficulty.
(2) Build an attack ship with one pulse blaster, and a a trace scanner, so you can keep track of the target's components
(3) Build a defender with no shields and about 500 units of standard armour (actually, the same thing will happen if you choose ultradense armour, but it might take longer).
(4) Put the attacker and defender next to each other, using the game editor, and change the race of the defender.
(5) Attack the defender, and observe its component status
(6) Before the target is anywhere near destroyed, you should see it occasionally (i.e. once every 50 or 60 hits) lose a vast number of components (e.g. 70 or 80) in one hit.
I can confirm that I have seen this effect with beam weapons, projectiles, missiles and torpedoes.
< Message edited by Osito -- 6/15/2013 3:24:11 PM >