Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited planets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited planets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited planets - 6/5/2013 1:52:19 PM   
sanderz

Hi

When you send a colony ship to a plant already inhabited by an independent race i have been sending a colony ship (rather than invade).

Even when the race is not hostile (grey on the expamsion planner?) sometimes the colonisation works and sometime not. Any way to improve my chances - would adding troops to Colony ships help?

Also, i seem to be able to colonise any type of planet regardless of type if it has an independent race - now i knew you could always invade - but it seems odd that you are allowed to 'colonise'.
Post #: 1
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/5/2013 2:21:50 PM   
Canute0

The chance to colonize an independent planet depend on the relation of the planet to you.
Best chances are on friendly , worst are on hostile ones.
There is no way to improve the chance, its a generell Race-Race relations.

BTW it isn't a real colonize, the Colony ship is more a welcome gift and an invition to join your Empire.

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/5/2013 2:43:53 PM   
jesuswhywhy

a pseudo cheat would be you could save a moment before

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 3
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/5/2013 6:14:59 PM   
Plant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute

The chance to colonize an independent planet depend on the relation of the planet to you.
Best chances are on friendly , worst are on hostile ones.
There is no way to improve the chance, its a generell Race-Race relations.

BTW it isn't a real colonize, the Colony ship is more a welcome gift and an invition to join your Empire.

And if they don't join, they destroy your ship and eat all your colonists. A different kind of welcome gift.
It's chance based and you cannot change the chance.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 4
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/5/2013 6:23:11 PM   
TanC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plant
And if they don't join, they destroy your ship and eat all your colonists. A different kind of welcome gift.
It's chance based and you cannot change the chance.

Oh the horror! Thanks for the welcome Plant.

I've always wondered how to change this too, thanks for bringing this topic up!

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 5
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/11/2013 2:15:16 PM   
elanaagain

I think the chance of success, when sending a colony ship to 'colonize' an independent world, is based on the relationship between the actual species on the colony ship to the species of the independent colony - not your empire's relationship to the independent colony's species. Anyone know for sure?

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to TanC)
Post #: 6
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/11/2013 2:39:41 PM   
Canute0

On Hostile ones you can send Colony ship over colony ship until you got the planet.
But it would be much cheaper to send a Troop Transport with some Troops, this will cause a reputation hit, but not that worse.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 7
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/11/2013 2:48:19 PM   
Bloodly

Securans get another means to help beat the odds. Every so often, they get 'increased friendliness'-even very hostile races will be willing to accept you on their planet.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 8
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/12/2013 2:39:16 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: elanaagain

I think the chance of success, when sending a colony ship to 'colonize' an independent world, is based on the relationship between the actual species on the colony ship to the species of the independent colony - not your empire's relationship to the independent colony's species. Anyone know for sure?

Yes, that is correct.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 9
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/14/2013 2:52:31 PM   
hfl13

And how do you find the actual species (colony ship) and the relationship of that species to the species of the independent colony.

Please with screenshot(s).

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 10
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/14/2013 2:58:07 PM   
Cauldyth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plant

One that's not unheard of in history.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 11
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/14/2013 3:01:54 PM   
Shark7

In all honesty, your best bet for 'colonizing' an inhabited planet is using a troop transport and conquer it.

I've had colonization attempts at same race independents fail. It's just a random thing really, though the chance of colonizing a world of aliens that hate you is none.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 12
RE: Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited pl... - 6/14/2013 8:41:43 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfl13

And how do you find the actual species (colony ship) and the relationship of that species to the species of the independent colony.

Please with screenshot(s).

With the colony ship selected the race is noted in the selection window. When you hover over the independent world with the colony ship selected it will give you a rating of how likely colonisation is to succeed. (My memory is somewhat vague, maybe.) Been a long time since I used a colony ship on an independent. In terms of the mechanic though, best chances come when both races are friendly and passive and worst chances when both are aggressive and unfriendly.

[Too lazy to spend the time needed for screenies... ]

(in reply to hfl13)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Need advice on sending Colony ships to inhabited planets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI