Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Small Cargo Bay

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Small Cargo Bay Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 1:36:27 PM   
antoine1965

Hi everybody,

how cargobay works?

I built a constructor ship with only 1 cargobay (size 350) and try to build a mining station but without needed it was impossible(i need 217 ressources Silicon,etc,etc).

So i built an another constructor ship with 2 cargobays (size 700) and try to build a mining station and i succeeded it (always 217 ressources).

Who has an explanation?

thank you
Post #: 1
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 1:45:48 PM   
Bingeling

Did you check what it carries when doing the build? The constructor likes to drop of 25 of a lot of resources as retrofit materials. That is several 100s worth of space beyond the design itself.

(in reply to antoine1965)
Post #: 2
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 3:54:24 PM   
antoine1965

To build a mining station, i need 8 ressources. in the first case (only 1 cargobay), the constructor carries 5 of them (and also excess of steel) and in the second case (2 cargobays), it carries all the needed ressources (and somme extra).

in fact, is it possible to know how id loaded a constructor (or any stateship)?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 4:15:12 PM   
Shark7

Are you playing as a pirate or as an empire?

IF I were playing as an empire, I wouldn't build a constructor with less than 10 cargo bays personally since your planets can build them.

If you are playing as a pirate...constructors might have to wait until you have larger ship sizes available.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 4
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 5:30:09 PM   
antoine1965

I'm playing as an empire.

At the beginning of the game, why building a constructor with 10 cargo bays if only 2 are necessary?

I don't understand the loading mechanism. And also, how many different ressources can be loaded in the same cargo bay?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 5:53:11 PM   
Speeder

How you check contents of a cargo bay in constructor or space station?

Post #: 6
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 5:55:58 PM   
Bebop Cola

I could be completely wrong, but I wouldn't expect resources to be necessarily tracked per cargo bay. I would expect cargo bays to add a "volume" statistic to the ship and the ship just grabs up the resources it needs for a given job(including extra resources to leave on the completed base for later retrofitting).

As such, too few cargo bays means it doesn't have enough volume for the resources needed for the job as well as the extra resources needed to leave on the finished base for later retrofitting.

Adding extra bays just reduces the need to micro-manage your constructor ships when it comes to building the current base as well as future(larger) models.

Post #: 7
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 6:00:49 PM   
antoine1965

thank you

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 8
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 6:22:46 PM   
BigWolf

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all resources weighted at 1 cargo space for 1 unit? I'm quite sure it is for Gases, not so certain on non-gases

If it is, then simple math applies
goto Construction summary on your largest base design, add all the numbers, add an extra 50% for a buffer, and you should be good
Reassess every couple of retrofits

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 9
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 8:57:26 PM   
antoine1965

Yes , i read that 1 unit of ressource occupies 1 cargo space (whatever the ressource).

To build a mining staion i need 217 ressources. So theoretically, only 1 cargo bay(350) would be sufficient but it is not.

If I build a constructor with 2 cargo bays (700), i have enough ressources.

(in reply to BigWolf)
Post #: 10
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/29/2013 9:10:21 PM   
BigWolf

If you can catch it, when a constructor (700 cargo one) is on route to build a new base, check the cargohold and compare what it is carrying vs. what it needs to build
Might be carrying a fair amount more for future refits, or some resources actually take up more than 1 cargospace

Edit: had a look myself and it actually seems to take some amount of every strategic resource as well what it needs to build the base
As my constructor is taking around approx 400 units of extra materials above the materials required for the base it is building, and even containing materials that will not be used
If this is the case for everything, it would seem to answer why 1 cargohold in an early game is never enough

< Message edited by BigWolf -- 5/29/2013 9:47:06 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/30/2013 3:45:47 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: antoine1965

I'm playing as an empire.

At the beginning of the game, why building a constructor with 10 cargo bays if only 2 are necessary?

I don't understand the loading mechanism. And also, how many different ressources can be loaded in the same cargo bay?

The first time you have construction of a mine get stuck because the constructor ran out of resources and has to wait in line for a freighter to resupply it, you'll understand.

When I play as an empire, my constructors have 20 cargo bays. I do not like them to get stuck.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 12
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/30/2013 6:22:56 AM   
jamthree

It would be nice if you had a breakdown of what a ship costs you in resources, would be a really nice feature. To test your problem you can go into the base design and click on the "show components" add them up and multiply them by the number of components and get a total. Then after you queue one to be built go into the ships screen and go to the constructor right after it leaves the base, I would do it with a new constructor with the 2 holds and check its cargo before giving it the order to be completely safe. If its only picking up 217 and your 1 cargo ship can't do the same thing then that's most likely a bug. I streamline all my ship designs too and I usually just add the extra hold since i'm pretty sure they keep materials on hand for emergency ship repair.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 13
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/31/2013 10:09:59 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamthree

It would be nice if you had a breakdown of what a ship costs you in resources, would be a really nice feature.

There is, and has been for a long time. Its on the construction tab of the base that is doing the construction of the ship/base. I'm at work, so I hope I get the button name right, I think its "Show Construction Summary".

The one grip I have is you have to have the ship actually being built to get the summary.

(in reply to jamthree)
Post #: 14
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/31/2013 10:39:56 PM   
jamthree

Learn something new everyday, and um yeah that should definetly be accesable from the ship design window.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 15
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 5/31/2013 11:03:49 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamthree

It would be nice if you had a breakdown of what a ship costs you in resources, would be a really nice feature.

There is, and has been for a long time. Its on the construction tab of the base that is doing the construction of the ship/base. I'm at work, so I hope I get the button name right, I think its "Show Construction Summary".

The one grip I have is you have to have the ship actually being built to get the summary.

What is the problem with the button having the very same text in the ship design screen? Right below the component list.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 16
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 6/1/2013 12:44:58 AM   
jamthree

The only problem is it doesn't show a total.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 17
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 6/1/2013 12:49:47 AM   
Raap

They probably just haven't considered it, as it hasn't been a very sought after feature in the past given how resources have always been a 'behind the scenes' aspect of the game.

The entire ship design screen could use a good makeover though.

< Message edited by Raap -- 6/1/2013 3:29:30 AM >

(in reply to jamthree)
Post #: 18
RE: Small Cargo Bay - 6/1/2013 5:08:10 PM   
antoine1965

Hi

with th 1.9.0.3, i sent my constuctor to repair a ship but it didn't use any ressources for repairing.

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Small Cargo Bay Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI