I had the same problem yesterday under Windows XP SP3. Tried everything mentioned here and in the FAQ. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times, updated my drivers. Didn't work at all. After six hours of trying around (net framework takes forever ...) I requested a refund at midnight last night - I was really frustrated ...
So, after a night of sleep I tried again and finally got the game running! I uninstalled the game again. Also I cleared every registry entry that I found while searching for "Distant Worlds" (F3 is your friend). I deleted all remaining folders manually and I reinstalled my sound driver. Then I reinstalled the main game and all three addons. Very strange behavior for a game.
Short summary of what I did:
- Cleanup your .net-Installation with the Tool suggested in the FAQ
- Cleanup your Distant Worlds installation. Uninstall the game, clear the registry from all "Distant Worlds"-entries. Delete all "Distant World"-Folders on your PC (backup savegames and mods if you need them!)
- Reinstall .net-Framework 3.5 and 4.0 + all patches (Windows Update)
- Get all Windows Updates
- Reinstall all drivers (Board, Sound, GFX, NIC ...), get the newest non-beta-versions
- Disable your Anti-Virus!
- Install Distant Worlds Main Game, check if it runs
- Install Distant Worlds Return of ..., check if it runs
- Install Distant Worlds: Legends, check if it runs
- Install Distant Worlds: Shadows, check if it runs
- Patch Distant Worlds to the newest version, check, if it runs
- Enable your Anti-Virus
- Have fun
< Message edited by MrDeadshot -- 7/6/2013 9:07:29 PM >