Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Unit Stats

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Air Unit Stats Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Unit Stats - 4/9/2013 11:09:05 AM   
Powloon

I still feeling my way this game and have just started my first Soviet Screnario and thought it was time to try and get a better handle on the air war.

Can anyone give me an idea of which aircraft stats are important and what they affect?

More specifically:

What are the number of hexes an aircraft can fly is it simply the range / 10?
Is a high or low reliability score better?
Is it best to try and focus aircraft by type at an airfield ie just fighter bombers / recon etc?
Can someone explain what support/need 237/57 (39AV) means (I'm guessing 237 is the support available and 57 is the support needed but I am unsure what AV represents)
What are the consequences of not enough support at an airfield.

Apologies for all the questions!
Post #: 1
RE: Air Unit Stats - 4/9/2013 11:42:16 AM   
morvael

> Is a high or low reliability score better?
Low reliability is better (I know it sounds strange, read it as "unreliability").

> Is it best to try and focus aircraft by type at an airfield ie just fighter bombers / recon etc?
I do a mix of planes on normal airbases (6-7 per air command), plus slightly different build for VVS airbases (one per air command). When the regiments have 20 machines max, I do 3-4 ftr/fb + 2 TacB + 1 LB (or 3-4 ftr/fb + 1 TacB + 1 LB) per "normal" airbase (I do not use longer range LB there, like IL-4). On VVS I place 1 ftr/fb in night mode, 2 IL-4 LB in night mode, 1-2 recon, 1 transport. I think is is purely personal preference. Without order I'd be lost, others may not.

>Can someone explain what support/need 237/57 (39AV) means (I'm guessing 237 is the support available and 57 is the support needed but I am unsure what AV represents)
AV is how much support the planes alone need (so without the AA guns in the airbase). That way you know if you have too much aircraft in airbase. They seem to support around 120-150 planes per airbase. Air command HQ will not help to support the planes. 237 - support you have on hand, 57 - support you need (of which 39 is needed by planes).

> What are the consequences of not enough support at an airfield.
More operational losses, more damaged planes not repairing, regiments operating understrength (they do not fill to max), perhaps worse reaction on interception

(in reply to Powloon)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Unit Stats - 4/9/2013 11:44:14 AM   
morvael

> What are the number of hexes an aircraft can fly is it simply the range / 10?
Yes, but only one of the ranges, the one shown on production screen I think (example P-40E has range 670 in aircraft compare screen, but 223 in production screen - this is the range you need to divide by 10, so it's 22 hexes).

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Unit Stats - 4/9/2013 1:49:29 PM   
Mehring

Different regiment types use different amounts of support. Careful with this. If, as I do, you ram your IAD bases to capacity with fighters, the aircraft will have sufficient support. Tac bombers possibly use a bit more, not sure, but LBs can use so much support you may not want more than 4 (PE-2) or 3 (IL-4) regiments per base, and worst of all are the Yer and TB regiments, which will probably use all available support at 2 regiments per base.

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 4
RE: Air Unit Stats - 4/9/2013 1:58:01 PM   
morvael

Lend-lease aircraft are also demanding. Yak-7B too. It's all a matter of finding out by experimenting. If we would know the exact formula (what factors are used in calculating support need for air unit - maybe load, range, etc) we could make a listing. Without the formula it's too hard since not all groups are equal and doing a "laboratory conditions" test in the editor would take much time.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Air Unit Stats Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI