Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/7/2014 10:35:39 PM   
lion_of_judah

is this before or after the air battle over London which recently took place? I'm not thinking the allies on the western front will be laughing too much longer as my latest aircraft will be rolling off the production lines next turn.....

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 541
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/8/2014 8:19:34 PM   
kombrig

Soviets will collapse soon. Counterattack at Moscow failed miserably. Unable to fight masses of Medium Tank V.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 542
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/9/2014 4:24:25 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

is this before or after the air battle over London which recently took place? I'm not thinking the allies on the western front will be laughing too much longer as my latest aircraft will be rolling off the production lines next turn.....

You were lucky, this is the latest....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jeffrey H. -- 3/9/2014 5:25:07 AM >

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 543
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/9/2014 4:26:23 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kombrig

Soviets will collapse soon. Counterattack at Moscow failed miserably. Unable to fight masses of Medium Tank V.

Time for the remaining Allies to sue for peace. Or beg for it.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 544
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/9/2014 5:01:10 AM   
lion_of_judah

why would I sue for peace when I'm so close to victory. No peace, one side will either win or lose

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 3/9/2014 6:01:39 AM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 545
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/9/2014 5:03:26 AM   
Twotribes

Meanwhile the allies never bombed Germany. Germany never had to worry about production loss.

Post #: 546
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/9/2014 5:04:12 AM   
lion_of_judah

it is not over till it is over, anything could happen and I could still lose this war

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 547
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/9/2014 6:44:53 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Meanwhile the allies never bombed Germany. Germany never had to worry about production loss.

Actually it was a bombing campaign that started the air war. If we continue playing there will be more. It really doesn't pay, the aircraft loss rate is too high and the damage done is too little.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 548
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/9/2014 9:51:00 PM   
Twotribes

With 30 bombers (heavy III) I leveled Lille in a game I am soloing. Haven't sent level IV's in yet but have 48 ready to go.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 549
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/9/2014 10:35:40 PM   
lion_of_judah

I'm in this game for the long haul and plan on either winning or losing this game

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 550
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/9/2014 11:39:28 PM   
ironduke1955

From what I know of the Allied bombing campaign it was the arrival of the P51D a long range high performance fighter that made the US day time bombing raids viable. Up to that point the US losses had been horrendous. British night time raids had been relatively easier suffering lighter casualties. But they got harder as the Germans developed the tech's to attack the bombers. So with air supremacy daytime bombing raids payoff. Without they are suicidal.

Post #: 551
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 12:01:57 AM   
Jeffrey H.

All true and good comments I think. It takes at least 5 to 1 fighters to bombers of sufficient tech and exp levels to what your opponent is throwing up against you. Not to mention onsite flak which can be effective. You'll still have losses.

Im my opinion, the payload of a single bomber unit is underrepresented in it's desturctive capacity. There should be an equivalency in a game like this. Scaling up from a single rifle round to a mortar to an artillery shell all the way to pounds of tnt in an typical aerial bomb.

A single bomber unit in the game actually represents a certain number of planes, which given 50 or so units, ought to lay waste to a target.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to ironduke1955)
Post #: 552
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 12:04:42 AM   
Twotribes

I am having problems with night time raids it sends up all the day light fighters and I get shot down. I have night fighters too but the graphic is clearly that of a daytime fighter on the combat chart.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 553
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 12:43:19 AM   
ironduke1955

Yep something wrong there I am having similar problems only night time fighters and bombers should be involved but for some reason day time fighters are being sent up and not faring well. In reality day time fighters would not leave the ground at night.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 554
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 6:40:45 AM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

I am having problems with night time raids it sends up all the day light fighters and I get shot down. I have night fighters too but the graphic is clearly that of a daytime fighter on the combat chart.

quote:

Yep something wrong there I am having similar problems only night time fighters and bombers should be involved but for some reason day time fighters are being sent up and not faring well. In reality day time fighters would not leave the ground at night.

You know guys, it would really help if you reported strange combat results to bombur, as he is the one that is responsible for those sort of things. I am not sure what is going on, but I can tell you how it is supposed to work.

All fighters that can intercept (daytime and nighttime) will intercept, no matter what. There is no way to change that. However the combat charts are supposed to be made that way that the daytime fighters do no damage, and take no damage from nighttime counterparts, and vice versa. On the plus side, no fuel is spent on defensive intercepts. So having even 1 fuel, will prevent having worse stats, for being out of fuel.

Obviously something is wrong. It is likely in the combat stats for either the night time attackers, or the daytime intercepters. Only Bombur can fix it, and he needs to know what kind of SFTs are involved in the airbattles. So why not send him an email, next time you see some trouble like this, and we will fix it.

(in reply to ironduke1955)
Post #: 555
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 7:21:26 AM   
lion_of_judah

......NEWS UPDATE....EASTERN FRONT

Major breakthrough is occurring along the entire eastern front. German forces have almost completely surrounded the Soviet capital, Leningrad is now surrounded due to an amphibious landing that captured Soviet trench lines without firing a shot. The fall of Gorki will complete the encirclement of the Soviet capital. Southern front now has German forces on the gates of Stalingrad.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 3/10/2014 8:21:51 AM >

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 556
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 7:23:57 AM   
lion_of_judah

......NEWS UPDATE....PACIFIC THEATER

Breakthrough has occurred on the Thai front with tank and infantry forces pouring through the hole. Chinese front saw several victories with advances taking place on numerous sectors. Whole Chinese armies are now in threat of encirclement.

Post #: 557
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 7:25:02 AM   
lion_of_judah

Turkish front...... Soviet turkey is now conquered, with Italian forces heading towards Jerusalem via Beirut first....

Post #: 558
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 9:26:25 AM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

......NEWS UPDATE....EASTERN FRONT

Major breakthrough is occurring along the entire eastern front. German forces have almost completely surrounded the Soviet capital, Leningrad is now surrounded due to an amphibious landing that captured Soviet trench lines without firing a shot. The fall of Gorki will complete the encirclement of the Soviet capital. Southern front now has German forces on the gates of Stalingrad.

Wow, who is that brave fellow (strength point 1) taking Moscow all by himself? Get that guy a medal
Probably won't live long enough to receive that medal but still pretty heroic...

Post #: 559
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 8:20:24 PM   
lion_of_judah

I see the Soviets collapse within 6 turns maybe 8 but the Soviet collapse has begun and victory is at hand. The Soviets have been a thorn in my backside for a while now and once they are defeated, my attention will be turned toward England herself.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 560
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/10/2014 8:47:51 PM   
lion_of_judah

LOL....yeap this is the hero of Minsk

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 561
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/13/2014 1:51:56 AM   
Jeffrey H.

With the imminent demise of the Soviet Union and the collapse of the Turkish front, England seeks an end to hostilities with Germany. Terms are TBD but we hope that the Germans and the English can reach suitable peace terms.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 562
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/13/2014 2:02:26 AM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.
With the imminent demise of the Soviet Union and the collapse of the Turkish front, England seeks an end to hostilities with Germany. Terms are TBD but we hope that the Germans and the English can reach suitable peace terms.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flash Gordon, the movie.
Long Live Flash! You´ve saved your Earth. Have a nice day.

Or in other words, I think the Fat Lady sings now... and Lion of Judah has won.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 563
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/13/2014 2:11:55 AM   
lion_of_judah

once moscow has fallen, we can talk of a possible peace deal. Here are a few items to contemplate......

item 1- ALL ALLIED FORCES WITHDRAW FROM SPAIN, INDIA AND THE NEAR EAST
item 2- ITEM 1 IS NEGOTIABLE WITHIN TERMS SET FOURTH BY BERLIN

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 564
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/13/2014 2:14:08 AM   
lion_of_judah

Why are the allies crying uncle so early? just because the Soviets are about to collapse doesn't mean I have won the war. The British and Americans can still try and break through and head for germany. Just because it looks bleak now, doesn't mean all is lost guys

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 3/13/2014 3:32:30 AM >

Post #: 565
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/13/2014 2:18:26 AM   
ernieschwitz

Actually late march 1944, is not very early to call it quits.

That is some 80 turns into the game...

Post #: 566
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/13/2014 2:36:07 AM   
lion_of_judah

yeah but the British and American could still beat me. I myself wouldn't give up till at the very least my captial was taken but that is just me

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 567
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/13/2014 3:13:34 AM   
lion_of_judah

we can begin negotiations..........

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 568
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/13/2014 3:14:58 AM   
lion_of_judah

let us do some summing up for this game.....what did the allies do wrong and what did the axis power do right, also what did the axis powers do wrong and vice-versa.

I would like to know what each player thinks about the strengths and weaknesses of each player in this game so we can learn not to repeat those same mistakes again or repeat if possible those actions which helped victory become a real possibility. I'll go first

the British..... in my opinion if the British had kept up the air war no matter the loses and was more aggressive in their land campaign then things may have turned out different. By the British stopping their air war when they did, this gave me the time to rebuild my Luftwaffe cause I will tell you, the western front air war was on the verge of defeat for me as I was truly nervous and worried...

The Americans...... blockading me in the Atlantic should have been heavier and control of the sea's is a must. The Americans were blockading the hell out of me in the pacific and while I had built up a very large reservre of infantry in China those reserves were being eatten away at by my offensives. I was losing over 50-100 infantry each turn when i was sending them too my China command HQ becquse of those American subs....

The British stopped me in Spain, but then stopped. If they had of moved more mobile forces there while it was still just italy they could have been in France and at the Rhine in no time. As all my German forces for the most part were on the Eastern front and I did not have much in the way of infantry stopping or much else that could have stopped them. Their pause again, helped me to bring more forces too bear and basically stop the Allies. This gave Italy time to rebuild and there you have it, Turkey finally fell.

In my opinion pausing for very long once you have begun your offensive is not good, especially when you have the enemy on the ropes. That is when you go all out and defeat the enemy. The Japanese while it was beginning to look promising and victory was again looking like it might happen was only thin, a little more of a push from the Allies in this theater and My front line forces for the Japanese were paper thin in most areas and a good push a time or two would have cracked this baby and opened a hole for a major breakthrough if the allies had just been more aggressive.

The Soviets, I must say had me biting my finger nails when I first took over, but because of ernie and him getting production to 125% I was able to produce bombers and fighters and stopped the soviet advance cold which saved the germans big time. The soviet player was very smart building those AA'S as this began causing me large losses in air craft.

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 3/13/2014 4:43:20 AM >

Post #: 569
RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame - 3/13/2014 3:31:17 AM   
ernieschwitz

I think it was a tremendous help towards the German cause that their factories produced at 125%. That was one of the last things I did before the Axis was taken over by lion of judah. The upgrade basically allowed Germany to build 4 factories, and get 5 factories production out of them, while saving 200 PP, by not having to build that 5th plant.

I also found that the Allies, early on should have blocked the naval passageways to the North Sea, and through the Channel, with their subs, to prevent german Uboats from escaping into the Atlantic. It´s about 5 hexes that need to be covered, with submarines. Having to fight those submarines each turn to get out, was one of the worst things I have ever tried.

I also think that the allies gave up to early on the Night Bombing campaign. Early on the only defence Germany had was about 20 Night Fighter Is and 2 heavy flak in each obvious target. I also think that it was dead stupid to try and bomb somewhere that had a navy parked in it. As the navy gets to shoot back.

I found that in the beginning speed was of the essence, that Germany had to keep a good pace, and do surprising things, so as to constantly keep the allies guessing, and had the Soviets tried early to attack the Germans, especially while they were occupied sweeping through Europe that would have been the end.

I think Frank essentially wasted the German fleet, in an attempt to send it towards Britain. It should have stayed in the Baltic, and shelled everything along the coastline there... Also I was very frustrated that Stockholm was not overrun...

Lastly, and not applying to later versions of the game, since counter battery has been removed from the game. The French essentially wasted their artillery, in the maginot, bombarding the German artillery across the river, thus losing alot of it.

Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: GD 1938 v 2, testgame Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI