Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Download Advice Needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Download Advice Needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Download Advice Needed - 2/10/2001 6:57:00 AM   
Blackhorse

I'm trying to download SPWaW to my computer (Windows NT) at work. The first time I downloaded everything except for the last 17kbs, then it stopped downloading. When I "cancelled" the rest of the download (the only option I have on my download window is 'cancel') the stuff I had already downloaded was deleted as well! I've tried it again with a similar result. I've downloaded 344MB. I have downloaded 352,204kb of 352,257kb -- I can see the SPWaW file on my hard drive but I can't open it because "another program is using this file." The download window is still open, but it has been showing 53kb remaining for the last 12 hours - so I'm not optimistic that the download will complete by itself. I suspect that if I close/cancel the download, it will again erase the 344MB file I already have. I've tried GetRight, but that doesn't function on my system at work. Do I have any other options?

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Post #: 1
- 2/10/2001 11:58:00 AM   
chief

Blackhorse: You could try "Download Accelerator Plus" it worked good for me. I don't have the URL but I'm sure you can get by using the above name and a search engine. ------------------ Sm:):)th Sailing...chief

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 2
- 2/10/2001 10:46:00 PM   
David F. Wall

I've always used GetRight on NT, and never had any trouble. At the risk of being presumptive, let me warn you that the game's behavior on NT can be somewhat erratic (NT is limited to an ancient version of DirectX). DFW

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 3
- 2/12/2001 8:42:00 AM   
Blackhorse

Gentlemen, Thanks for the advice. . . and, no, you weren't being presumptive . Even with all its problems, I'm stuck with my in-the-office NT system because at home I download at about 2.5kbs -- or 30+ hours if I tried to download SPWaW! However, I've been able to (so far) trick the Computer Gremlins. I copied the 99%+ downloaded file, then ended the download. As I suspected, the file the download was connected to disappeared -- but the copy remained! The game is playing great so far. I don't know what was in the last 57kbs I missed -- but I'm sure it will crop up at a most inconvenient time! But in the meantime, I'll enjoy! Thanks again. . .

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 4
- 2/13/2001 1:42:00 PM   
Warrior

If you love the game, get a download engine that allows pauses and restarts (I use GoZilla - and it's a freebie). I have a DSL connection but the Matrix server would only feed at 56K speed. It took me two days to get the whole game, but it was well worth the hassle!

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 5
- 2/13/2001 2:42:00 PM   
kao16

quote:

Originally posted by Blackhorse: Gentlemen, Thanks for the advice. . . and, no, you weren't being presumptive . Even with all its problems, I'm stuck with my in-the-office NT system because at home I download at about 2.5kbs -- or 30+ hours if I tried to download SPWaW!
If you have a copy at work... (1) Try and burn a copy at work, or (2) Borrow a laptop and a lap-link cable, copy DL of SPWAW to laptop, take it home and copy to home computer, or (3) use Winzip or similar to archive to floppy - best if you can use LS-120 or Zip drives (putting 340MB on 1.44 floppies is a bit much)

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 6
- 2/13/2001 4:36:00 PM   
Thornado

I can only go with REMF. I used Go!zilla (at work, overnight and I have a T1 at work....). I saw that it took three retries to get the whole file, so a download agent is a must! ------------------ Thornado - You'll never know what hit you -

Thornado - You'll never know what hit you -

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Download Advice Needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI