Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sappers vs RR / construction

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Sappers vs RR / construction Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sappers vs RR / construction - 12/25/2012 11:16:27 AM   
The Guru

What is the final word about this issue? I know there has been much debate about their respective use, and which was good for what, but I don't know what was the conclusion then, and if the recent updates have brought any alteration...

Thank you...

< Message edited by The Guru -- 12/25/2012 11:30:39 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sappers vs RR / construction - 12/25/2012 1:30:33 PM   
carlkay58

Pretty much a personal choice and favorite. The Soviets rarely need more than 3 or 4 RR brigades per front. Sappers cost about the same amount of resources but are more useful in combat - particularly vs enemy forts. Sappers do require more time to train up fully.

(in reply to The Guru)
Post #: 2
RE: Sappers vs RR / construction - 12/25/2012 9:42:25 PM   
The Guru

Thanks

but, I mean, do RR units help for entrenchment, same as sappers and construction?

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 3
RE: Sappers vs RR / construction - 12/25/2012 10:19:00 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Guru

Thanks

but, I mean, do RR units help for entrenchment, same as sappers and construction?

They help with the digging. But in the long run you're better off with sappers. IIRC, the sappers can be assigned to corps when you get to build those.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 12/25/2012 10:21:22 PM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to The Guru)
Post #: 4
RE: Sappers vs RR / construction - 12/26/2012 2:30:55 AM   
Klydon

Sappers early are a two edged sword depending on your view of Russian support units.

Because it is such a slaughter for the first part of the campaign, I generally try to suck my support units back to Stavka and weed out the ones I think should be disbanded (motorcycle regiments are vehicle hogs for instance and I would rather have the trucks in the pool). This prevents perfectly good support units from getting destroyed in the onslaught. I also make it a point to start producing sapper regiments as time goes along to give them time to fill out and train up. They will come in handy for the winter counter offensive if the German is silly enough to hang around. I don't care for sapper battalions and would rather have 1 regiment vs 3 battalions.

The issue with building sapper units AND depending on them to help units dig in is they can be destroyed in combat. Using non combat diggers like the RR and labor units will mean they are helping your units dig in if they are not busy repairing rail links and you won't take the losses. However, it isn't efficient to build a huge pool of labor/RR engineer types because all they do is help dig, so likely a mix of sappers (trying to use them in safer locations of the front if there is such a thing) and RR/labor units are the way to go. Later on, you can look to disband some of the RR/labor units to return assets to the pool.

Bottom line is you do want a pile of sapper regiments available to assign to corps when you start forming those.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 5
RE: Sappers vs RR / construction - 12/26/2012 2:47:19 AM   
hfarrish

I asked this question a while back in a war room thread (you can find it if you have the patience to) and the general consensus was sappers over RR brigades, with the exception of 1-2 (I prefer 3-4 b/c they do things stupidly, and you need a lot of stupid rail repair to accomplish anything productive) RR brigades per front.

I think the takeaway was that RR brigades take up a lot of manpower, don't help in combat, and forts at the end of the day just aren't nearly as useful as they used to be. Thus a unit (particularly in pre-blizzard 41) that doesn't help in combat and only builds forts is not that helpful.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Sappers vs RR / construction Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI