From: Planning the end of the world, well out to 2023!
To track the Brigades, this is a work in progress, a few gaps and 1-2 bits of info that doesnt gel but I havent investigated yet
1st Infantry Brigade
Upon the outbreak of World War II in September 1939, the 1st Brigade consisted of the 13th, 33rd and 41st Battalions. Initially, upon the commencement of hostilities it was decided to call up the Militia to undertake periods of continuous training in order to boost the nation's readiness for war, however, following Japan's entry into the war in December 1941, they were mobilised for defensive duties. Although some Militia units were committed to combat operations in New Guinea from 1942 onwards, the 1st Brigade remained in Australia for the duration of the war, headquartered around Parramatta, New South Wales, where it formed part of the 1st Division. By the end of hostilities, it consisted of only one battalion—the 41st/2nd Battalion—as other units had been transferred, amalgamated or disbanded. Between May 1942 and August 1945 it was commanded by Brigadier Frederick Burrows.
2nd Infantry Brigade
Initially, the brigade was composed of four infantry battalions under the overall command of temporary Brigadier George Langley: the 5th Battalion (Victorian Scottish Regiment), the 6th Battalion, the 14th Battalion (Prahan Regiment), the 32nd Battalion (Footscray Regiment) and the Melbourne University Rifles. However, in early 1940, the Australian Army’s brigade establishment was reduced from to three battalions in order to fall in line with standard British doctrine.
Following the entry of Japan into the war in December 1941 the 14th and 32nd Battalions were merged and later transferred to the 6th Brigade. In February 1942 the Melbourne University Rifles were also removed from the brigade’s order of battle.
In May 1942 the 2nd Brigade, as part of the 4th Division moved from Victoria to Western Australia and at this time the brigade gained the 2/11th Battalion, a Western Australian AIF unit that had fought in North Africa, Greece and Crete, before being virtually destroyed and brought back to Australia. In October 1942, along with the rest of the 4th Division and units from the 2nd Division they took part in a corps-level exercise in Geraldton, Western Australia.
In early 1943, the 2nd Brigade was transferred to the 2nd Division, based in the Mount Lawley area, where they carried out garrison duties along with the 5th and 8th Brigades. In July the 2/11th Battalion were transferred to the 19th Brigade in Queensland. Later, in August 1943, however, the brigade was moved to Darwin, when it became part of the LHQ Reserve. In September 1943 the 5th and 6th Battalions were joined by the 19th Machine Gun Battalion, and then in December by the 10th/48th Battalion.
By late 1944, however, the threat of invasion no longer existed and the division along with many of its component units were disbanded in order to ease some of the labour shortages being experienced in the Australian economy. Between August and November 1944 most of its component units were transferred out and disbanded and as its strength diminished, the 2nd Brigade was finally disbanded on 8 January 1945 while at Wallgrove, New South Wales.
3rd Infantry Brigade
In December 1941, the 3rd Brigade was mobilised for wartime service. Following this the brigade, consisting of the 10th, 27th and 48th Battalions, was attached to the Northern Territory Force and sent to Darwin to defend the port against a possible Japanese invasion. In March 1943, as the threat diminished, the brigade re-allocated to the 4th Division and was withdrawn to Adelaide, before being disbanded in Townsville in April 1944, as part of the reduction of Australian forces that had begun in late 1942 in an effort to release manpower back into the Australian economy. Upon disbandment, the brigade consisted of two infantry battalions, the 55th/53rd and the 62nd Battalions.
4th Infantry Brigade
In September 1939 the brigade consisted of three infantry battalions—the 22nd, 29th and 46th Battalions—and it was initially assigned to the 3rd Division. Following Japan's entry into the war in December 1941, the 4th Brigade was mobilised for war service and raised to a higher state of training at Bonegilla, Victoria. In April 1942 the brigade was transferred to the 5th Division and later, in 1943 it was deployed to New Guinea, being dispatched to Milne Bay to relieve the 7th Brigade. Later it was amongst the first of the Militia brigades to see action against the Japanese at Guiska. At that time the brigade consisted of the 22nd, 29th/46th and 37th/52nd Infantry Battalions. Throughout 1943 and 1944 the brigade was transferred between the 5th and 9th Division a number of times, taking part in the New Guinea campaign.
In September 1944 the Brigade returned to Australia for reorganisation and training before being taking part in the New Britain campaign. Due to a shortage of shipping, the brigade's deployment was delayed and they did not land until January 1945. Following this, the brigade helped to undertake a containment campaign against the Japanese forces on the island until the end of the war in August 1945.
5th Infantry Brigade
During the Second World War the brigade was reduced to three infantry battalions—the 44th, 54th and 56th Battalions—and was undertook defensive duties in Australia until it was disbanded in June 1944 as part of the reallocation of manpower resources undertaken by the Army at the time.
6th Infantry Brigade
At the start of the Second World War, the 6th Brigade undertook garrison duties in Western Australia, however, in July 1943, consisting of the 14th/32nd, 19th and 36th Battalions, it was sent to New Guinea. Based in Buna, in Papua, they carried out garrison duties as well as patrols around the areas surrounding Milne and Nassau Bay. In May 1944, they moved to Lae. In June they were sent to Buolo for a rest, before returning to Lae in September where they were transferred from the 4th Division to the 5th Division and the decision was made to send them to New Britain.
In November advanced elements of the brigade from the 19th Battalion landed at Jacquinot Bay, and after the other two battalions arrived they began a campaign of harassment against the much larger Japanese forces on the island, with the objective of restricting Japanese to freedom of action in the area. The brigade advanced along the coast, using barges, crossing the Mevelo River in February before carrying out a number of patrols towards the Wulwut River to the east. In mid-March, they came up against the main Japanese defensive line in the Waitavalo–Tol Plantation around Bacon Hill and over the course of two days, the 19th Battalion and 14th/32nd fought to capture it.
Following this, the 6th Brigade established a defensive line that extended across the Gazelle Peninsula, and from there they continued to mount patrols into Japanese held-territory until April 1945 when they were withdrawn back to Australia. Although it was originally planned that the brigade would re-organise to make up its losses and begin training for participation in further operations, as the war in the Pacific wound down, the decision was made disbanded the 6th Brigade and a number of its component units in July 1945 as part of the demobilisation process.
7th Infantry Brigade
During World War II, the 7th Brigade was a Militia unit made up of five infantry battalions—the 9th, 15th, 25th, 47th and 61st Battalions. At the beginning of the war the brigade was primarily responsible for the defence of South East Queensland, with battalions located at Chermside, Cabarlah and Maryborough. On 13 December 1941, the brigade received order to partially mobilise; the following day the order for full mobilisation was issued. The brigade then only had 1,393 men in all ranks. Because of the issue of the mobilisation order, by 27 December, this had increased to 4,449 men of all ranks.
In May 1942, the 7th Brigade, consisting only of the 9th, 25th and 61st Battalions, relocated to Townsville to act as the city's covering force along with the 11th Brigade and the 29th Brigade. On 9 July 1942, the first elements of the brigade departed Townsville for Milne Bay, arriving there on 11 July. In July, the Brigade took part in the Battle of Milne Bay along with the 7th Division. In November 1943 the brigade returned to Australia where it undertook a period of reorganisation and training on the Atherton Tablelands. In early 1944, however, the brigade was deployed overseas again, firstly to Madang, before being transferred to Bougainville Island later in the year where they took part in the a number of significant battles until the end of the war including the battles of Pearl Ridge and Slater's Knoll.
Following the end of hostilities the brigade was disbanded on 8 December 1945.
8th Infantry Brigade
9th Infantry Brigade
Upon the outbreak of the Second World War, the brigade was attached to the 2nd Infantry Division and was based in New South Wales. Initially it consisted of four infantry battalions—the 1st, 4th, 17th and 45th Battalions—although as the war progressed its establishment was reduced as units were transferred to other formations. As a whole, the brigade did not see active service during the war and was disbanded in July 1944.
10th Infantry Brigade
Upon the outbreak of the Second World War, the brigade was based in Victoria in September 1939, and assigned to the 3rd Division. On 8 December 1941 the brigade was mobilised for full-time duty as the Militia was called up for garrison and defensive duties following Japan's entry in to the war. As part of the mobilisation process, the brigade was reorganised into a brigade-group formation with organic artillery, anti-tank and engineer support. Its establishment was also reduced from four infantry battalions to three as the Australian Army moved towards the British Army brigade structure. In September 1942, however, after moving to Queensland, it was disbanded—having not seen active service—as part of the reallocation of manpower resources that occurred within the Australian Army at that time. During the war, the 10th Brigade's subordinate units included: the 37th, 52nd, 24th/39th and 24th Battalions, as well as the 2nd Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery, the 10th Field Company, Royal Australian Engineers and the 23rd Anti-Tank Battery, Royal Australian Artillery.
11th Infantry Brigade
Based around Townsville and Cairns before moving to Merauke in June 1943
12th Infantry Brigade
Upon the outbreak of World War II in September 1939, the brigade was stationed in Tasmania, where it served in a garrison role. The brigade was assigned to the 4th Division between April and June 1943, and then assigned to the 12th Division until October 1944. During this time the brigade's establishment was reduced from four battalions to three, however, the brigade's establishment changed a number of times.
The following units were attached to the brigade at various times during the war: 22nd Light Horse, 40th Battalion, 12th/50th Battalion, 22nd Motor Regiment, 36th Battalion, 55th/53rd Battalion, 38th Battalion, 10th/48th Battalion, 12th/40th Battalion.
13th Infantry Brigade
Based in Western Australia pre war
14th Infantry BrigadeUpon the outbreak of World War II the brigade consisted of the 3rd, 34th and 55th/53rd Battalions and was assigned to the 2nd Division. Only one of the these units saw active service while under its command. This was the 55th Battalion,which was briefly delinked from the 53rd in October 1941 (with the 53rd being assigned to the 30th Brigade) and subsequently served in New Guinea from May to October 1942, undertaking garrison duties around Port Moresby and Milne Bay before carrying out patrols along the Goldie River Valley throughout September. In October 1942 they were amalgamated once again with the 53rd and together they were assigned to first the 30th Brigade for the remainder of their early service in New Guinea. In early 1943 this battalion was returned to Australia and from January to April 1943 they were reassigned to the 14th Brigade, however, in April 1943 they were assigned to the 11th Brigade with whom they remained for the rest of the war.
Other units that were assigned to the brigade around this time were the 36th Battalion (8 April 1941 – 14 December 1942 and then again 3 January 1943 – 24 April 1943), which replaced the 34th; the 49th Battalion (11–21 August 1942), the 39th Battalion (18–27 September 1942). Its divisional assignments were changed a number of times after the outbreak of the war as it was moved from the 2nd Division to New Guinea Force in May 1942, the 7th Division in September 1942, the 11th Division in February 1943 and then finally to the 4th Division in March 1943.
The 14th Brigade was eventually disbanded on 24 April 1943, as manpower shortages required the Australian Army to merge or disband a number of Militia formations to reallocate resources elsewhere. Upon disbandment, the brigade consisted of two battalions, the 55th/53rd and the 36th.
15th Infantry Brigade
Throughout 1941 the 15th Brigade was stationed around Seymour, Victoria, before undertaking training further training near Casino, New South Wales, in 1942. At this time they were joined by the 24th Battalion after it was transferred to the brigade from the 10th Brigade, which had been disbanded during the partial demobilisation of Australian forces that was undertaken to rectify a manpower shortage that had developed within the Australian economy. As a result of the addition of the 24th Battalion the 58th and 59th Battalions were amalgamated to form the 58th/59th Battalion, in order to maintain the triangular structure of the brigade.
Later in 1943 the brigade was deployed to New Guinea where it fought against the Japanese during the Salamaua–Lae campaign, with its most significant actions coming in June and into July when they were involved in the fighting around Bobdubi Ridge. At the end of the campaign they were moved back to Port Moresby, before later, in early 1944, being temporarily attached to the 7th Division for its campaign in the Markham and Ramu valleys, arriving at Dumpu on 7 January. In February, after fighting around the Kankiryo Saddle, the 15th Brigade moved up the Faria Valley to take over from the 18th Brigade. The brigade then proceeded to advance towards Madang, which was reached on 24 April 1944.
In October 1944, after 16 months active service, the brigade returned to Australia for rest and reorganisation on the Atherton Tablelands in Queensland. By that time it had grown to a full brigade-group, consisting of a headquarters, three infantry battalions—the 24th, 57th/60th and 58th/59th Battalions—and supporting elements including a signals section, a flamethrower platoon, three troops of tanks from the 2/4th Armoured Regiment, a section of engineers from the 15th Field Company, a company from the 1st New Guinea Infantry Battalion, the 266th Light Aid Detachment, as well as military police, postal and dental units and a detachment from the Australian New Guinea Administrative Unit. Also in support was artillery from 5 Battery, 2nd Field Regiment and four 155 mm guns of 'U' Heavy Battery.
In April 1945, the 15th Brigade was sent to Bougainville to rejoin the 3rd Division where, under the command of Brigadier Heathcote Hammer, it took part in the advance to the Hongorai River as well as the drive towards the Mivo before being relieved by the 29th Brigade on 1 July. Its losses while on Bougainville were heavier than any other Australian brigade that took part in the campaign, suffering 32 officers and 493 men killed or wounded.
29th Infantry Brigade
Raised on 20 December 1941 during World War II as part of the Militia. Initially tasked with defending Townsville against possible invasion from the Japanese. In March 1942, the brigade's three infantry battalions—the 15th, 42nd and 47th Battalions—began concentrating in Townsville where they formed part of the 5th Division.
In January 1943 the brigade was deployed to New Guinea, with the 42nd Battalion deployed to Milne Bay to relieve the 7th Brigade's, 61st Battalion. Later, in early 1944, the 15th Brigade assisted the 7th Division's operations around Lae, conducting patrols in the area until August 1944 when they were withdrawn to Australia for rest and re-organisation. The brigade was then subsequently assigned to the 3rd Division and took part in the Bougainville campaign.
30th Infantry Brigade
The brigade was formed in December 1941 in response to Japan's entry into the war. From the outset it was formed for the purpose of garrisoning Port Moresby, and indeed one of its battalions, the 49th Battalion, a Militia unit from Queensland, had been deployed to New Guinea as early as March 1941. Following the attacks on Pearl Harbor and Malaya, however, the decision was made to boost the force around Port Moresby up to a brigade-group sized force and as a result the 30th Brigade was formed. The units selected to join the 49th were the 39th Battalion from Victoria and the 53rd Battalion from New South Wales. On 3 January 1942, these units were deployed to New Guinea arriving on the troopship RMS Aquitania.
After the Japanese landings at Buna, the 39th Battalion was sent to Kokoda to provide a blocking force. During the Kokoda Track campaign, the brigade was sent up the Kokoda Track. After heavy fighting the brigade was relieved by the 21st Brigade and 25th Brigade. In October 1942 the 53rd Battalion was amalgamated with the 55th Battalion to form the 55th/53rd Battalion. After this, the brigade undertook garrison duties and further training in Port Moresby before taking part in the liberation of Gona and Sanananda during the Battle of Buna–Gona. It was committed to the fighting in December 1942 when the 39th Battalion was dispatched to Gona, and the 49th and 55th/53rd Battalions reinforced the Australian units that were fighting around Sanananda.
In early 1943 the brigade was brought back to Australia for reorganisation. During this time, the 3rd Battalion was added to its order of battle. Based on the Atherton Tablelands in Queensland, the brigade was brought back up to establishment and was transferred to the 6th Division, with a view to participating in further operations in New Guinea, however it was decided to disband the brigade and it was disbanded on 3 July.
31st Infantry Brigade
The brigade was formed in February 1942, as part of the 1st Division of the militia. The Brigade was disbanded on 27 August 1942. Units of the Brigade were 1st, 45th & 48th Battalions
32nd Infantry Brigade
The brigade was formed in February 1942, as part of the Newcastle Covering Force and then the 10th Division of the militia. The Brigade was disbanded upon the disbandment of the 10th Division on 27 August 1942. Units of the Brigade were 4th, 33rd Infantry & 8th Garrison Battalions.
33rd Infantry Brigade
The brigade was formed in August 1945, to serve in the Dutch East Indies and aid in the policing of the surrender and return of Japanese troops to Japan.
1st Cavalry Brigade
The brigade was formed in September 1939? and did not see any active service The brigade was converted into the 1st Motor Brigade in April 1942.
Units that served with the brigade during the war were 5th Light Horse, 11th Light Horse, 2/14th Light Horse, 2nd Light Horse, 5th Motor Regiment, 11th Motor Regiment & 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion
2nd Cavalry Brigade
The brigade was formed in September 1939?, and assigned to the 1st Australian Cavalry Division. The brigade did not see any active service and was converted into the 2nd Australian Motor Brigade in March 1942. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 12th Light Horse, 15th Light Horse, 16th Light Horse (MG), 24th Light Horse, 1st Light Horse (MG), 1st Machine Gun Regiment
3rd Cavalry Brigade
The brigade was formed in September 1939?, and assigned to the 2nd Australian Cavalry Division. The brigade did not see any active service and was converted into the 3rd Australian Motor Brigade in March 1942. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 4th Light Horse, 8th Light Horse, 13th/19th Light Horse, 17th Light Horse (Machine Gun), 20th Light Horse, 13th Light Horse, 26th Light Horse (Machine Gun), 8th Reconnaissance Regiment, 1st Armoured Regiment.
4th Cavalry Brigade
The brigade was formed in September 1939?, and assigned to the 1st Australian Cavalry Division. The brigade did not see any active service and was converted into the 4th Australian Motor Brigade in March 1942. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 3rd Armoured Regiment, 1st Light Horse (Machine Gun), 6th Light Horse, 7th Light Horse, 14th Light Horse (Machine Gun), 21st Light Horse, 6th Motor Regiment.
5th Cavalry Brigade
6th Cavalry Brigade
The brigade was formed in September 1939?, and assigned to the 2nd Australian Cavalry Division. The brigade did not see any active service and was converted into the 6th Australian Motor Brigade in March 1942. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 3rd Light Horse, 18th Light Horse (Machine Gun), 9th/23rd Light Horse, 9th Motor Regiment, 4th Military District Reconnaissance Company, 3rd Reconnaissance Company
1st Motor Brigade
The brigade was converted in April 1942, from the 1st Cavalry Brigade??. The brigade was assigned to the 5th Division on formation, then transferred to the 1st Motor Division in September 1942, and transferred again in November 1942, to the 3rd Armoured Division. The brigade was disbanded in July 1943, and did not see any active service. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion, 5th Motor Regiment, 11th Motor Regiment, 16th Motor Regiment, 6th Anti-Tank Battery. Royal Australian Artillery, 232nd Light Anti-Aircraft Battery Royal Australian Artillery, 6th Field Squadron, Royal Australian Engineers
2nd Motor Brigade
The brigade was converted in March 1942, from the 1st Cavalry Brigade??, the new brigade was assigned to the 1st Australian Motor Division. The brigade did not see any active service and was disbanded at Gherang, Victoria in January 1943. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 1st Motor Regiment, 12th Motor Regiment, 24th Motor Regiment, 16th Motor Regiment, 6th Motor Regiment, 7th Motor Regiment, 15th Motor Regiment, 17th Motor Regiment, 20th Motor Regiment & 1st Field Squadron, Royal Australian Engineers
3rd Motor Brigade
The brigade was converted in March 1942, from the 1st Cavalry Brigade.?? The brigade was assigned to the 2nd Australian Motor Division in September 1942, it then was assigned to the III Corps between October 1942 and January 1943. Between January and September 1943 it was attached to the 1st Armoured Division and from September 1943, to April 1944, it was attached to the 2nd Division. It returned to III Corps command from April 1944 until it was disbanded in August 1944. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 4th Motor Regiment, 26th Motor Regiment, 101st Motor Regiment, 25th Cavalry Regiment.
4th Motor Brigade
The brigade was converted in March 1942, from the 1st Cavalry Brigade??, and converted again to the 3rd Army Tank Brigade in May 1942. The brigade was assigned to the 1st Australian Motor Division on formation and did not see any active service. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 3rd Armoured Regiment, 6th Motor Regiment, 7th Motor Regiment, 14th Motor Regiment
5th Motor Brigade
The brigade was formed in April 1942 at Geelong, Victoria. The brigade did not last long and in June 1942 it was absorbed into the 6th Armoured Brigade. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 3rd Motor Regiment, 104th Motor Regiment, 13th Armoured Regiment, 14th Armoured Regiment
6th Motor Brigade
The brigade was converted in March 1942, from the 6th Cavalry Brigade, and converted again to the 6th Armoured Brigade in May 1942. The brigade was assigned to the 2nd Australian Motor Division on formation and did not see any active service. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 9th Motor Regiment, 18th Motor Regiment, 3rd Reconnaissance Company, 23rd Reconnaissance Company.
3rd Army Tank Brigade
The 3rd Army Tank Brigade was formed on 6 May 1942 by the conversion of the 4th Motor Brigade and bringing together three armoured regiments which had previously formed part of the 1st Cavalry Division. As with all British Commonwealth Tank Brigades, the primary role of the 3rd Army Tank Brigade was to provide armoured support to infantry formations. In keeping with this role the Brigade was initially equipped with Matilda II tanks which had previously been issued to the 1st Armoured Brigade.
Upon formation the 3rd Army Tank Brigade was concentrated in the Hunter Valley region of New South Wales for training with the Brigade eventually being located at Singleton. The 1st Army Tank Battalion was detached from the Brigade and re-assigned to the newly formed 4th Armoured Brigade in February 1943.
As it had been decided that the 4th Armoured Brigade would be responsible for providing all armoured support to Australian Army units in the Pacific Theatre the 3rd Army Tank Brigade headquarters and support units were gradually disbanded between 6 August and 26 September 1943. The 2nd and 3rd Army Tank battalions were, however, retained as independent battalion groups until their disbandment in March 1944 (the 2nd Army Tank Battalion was also re-equipped with M3 Grant medium tanks in September 1943). The Brigade was commanded by Brigadier J.A. Clarebrough throughout its brief history.
The 1st Army Tank Battalion was the only element of the Brigade to see action. After its separation from the Brigade the Battalion served in the Huon Peninsula campaign of 1943–1944 and, after being re-designated the 1st Armoured Regiment, the Australian liberation of Balikpapan in Borneo in 1945.
Upon formation, the 3rd Army Tank Brigade consisted of:
• 3rd Army Tank Brigade HQ
• 1st Army Tank Battalion (Matilda II) (previously the 1st Light Horse Regiment)
• 2nd Army Tank Battalion (Matilda II) (previously the 2nd Armoured Car Regiment)
• 3rd Army Tank Battalion (Matilda II) (formed by expanding the 1st Light Tank Company)
4th Armoured Brigade
The Australian 4th Armoured Brigade was formed in January 1943 to provide armoured support for Australian Army units operating in the South West Pacific Area. The Brigade was never intended to serve as a single formation, rather its role was to provide a pool of armoured units from which units and sub-units could be provided to augment infantry forces. The Brigade was also responsible for developing doctrine and specialised armoured vehicles for armoured warfare in tropical terrain.
In keeping with the Brigade's task of providing armoured units to other formations, the Brigade's armoured regiments were organised into self-supporting regimental groups and the Brigade did not possess the reconnaissance, infantry and other supporting elements which were common in Second World War era armoured brigades.
The 4th Armoured Brigade was disbanded in March 1946.
• 4th Armoured Brigade HQ (previously 6th Armoured Brigade HQ)
• 1st Army Tank Battalion (Matilda II) (ex-3rd Army Tank Brigade)
• 2/6th Armoured Regiment (M3 Stuart) (previously independent)
• 2/9th Armoured Regiment (M3 Grant) (ex-3rd Armoured Division)
• Signals, engineers and service troops
• 4th Armoured Brigade HQ
• 1st Armoured Regiment (Matilda II)
• 2/4th Armoured Regiment (Matilda II) (ex-3rd Armoured Division)
• 2/6th Armoured Regiment (M3 Grant)
• 2/9th Armoured Regiment (M3 Grant)
• 1st Armoured Amphibious Squadron (LVT) (newly raised)
• Armoured Squadron (Special Equipment) (specialised Matilda II variants) (newly raised)
• Signals, engineers and service troops
• A and C Squadrons of the 1st Army Tank Battalion saw action attached to the Australian 9th Division in the Huon Peninsula campaign of 1943-1944
• C Squadron of 2/4th Armoured Regiment saw action attached to the Australian 6th Division in Wewak from October 1944 until the end of the war.
• A and B Squadrons of 2/4th Armoured Regiment were deployed to Bougainville as part of Australian II Corps in 1945.
• C Squadron of the 2/9th Armoured Regiment was attached to the 26th Brigade Group during the invasion of Tarakan in May 1945.
• The remainder of the 2/9th Armoured Regiment was attached to the 9th Division during its operations in British North Borneo from June 1945 until the end of the war.
• 1st Armoured Regiment and the Armoured Squadron (Special Equipment) were attached to the Australian 7th Division during its operations in Balikpapan from July 1945 until the end of the war.
6th Armoured Brigade
The brigade was formed in May 1942, by the conversion of the 6th Motor Brigade? and was assigned to the 2nd Motor Division. The brigade also absorbed units of the 5th Motor Brigade in June 1942. The brigade remained in Australia and did not see any active service before it was converted into the 4th Armoured Brigade in March 1943. Units that served with the brigade during the war were 9th Motor Regiment, 12th Armoured Regiment, 13th Armoured Regiment, 14th Armoured Regiment & 3rd Reconnaissance Company
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum