Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Making things hard actually makes them easier...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Making things hard actually makes them easier... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making things hard actually makes them easier... - 7/19/2012 3:14:18 AM   
jpwrunyan

I have a theory. First of all, we all know that increasing the difficulty of the ai gives the AI more money in the game. This means they have more money for me to embezzle from them for useless techs and "protection" contracts I immediately dishonor. My theory is that this actually makes the game easier than it would be on a lower difficulty setting. Instead of extorting millions of space bucks from the ai on difficult and then declaring war, I would only be able to extort 100000's of space bucks. This difference has a major impact on my war machine as I need to pay the cost for those battallions of ground troops. If the ai didnt have all that money in the first place, I wouldnt be able to steal it and afford to have a huge army with which to crush them. So you see my theory is simple: harder difficulty settings actually makes the game easier.

This is not a call for opinions about how to improve the game. Just wondering if people agree or not. Because I think I am about to put the difficulty setting back to normal.
Post #: 1
RE: Making things hard actually makes them easier... - 7/19/2012 6:50:47 AM   
feelotraveller

I agree. 

It will only make the game harder if you do not know how to get the cpu players money.   (For a somewhat harder game leave money on normal and use the house rule of no tech trading.)

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 2
RE: Making things hard actually makes them easier... - 7/19/2012 7:33:14 AM   
MartialDoctor

Well, you're basically taking advantage of problems with certain aspects of the game. If you don't tech trade for money (or you manually edit the amount traded for all the over-valued techs, which is annoying to do but works) and you honor contracts, since dishonoring them is exploiting the lack of anything to keep you from dishonoring them, then it is more challenging.

You can also make your empire smaller, with worse home world conditions, and less technology advanced than the other empires.

If you do those things, then the increased difficulty level is more difficult.

< Message edited by MartialDoctor -- 7/19/2012 7:35:27 AM >

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 3
RE: Making things hard actually makes them easier... - 7/19/2012 8:29:55 AM   
jpwrunyan

I do all those things you say to make the game harder. My point is there is no situation in which adding a notch to the "difficulty" slider actually makes things harder. All things equal, the slider is better left at normal or easy for more challenge. Instead give the ai more colonies and perhaps tech. Although like with money, more tech can also just mean more tech for me to steal. I agree that these techniques to take the ai's cash are exploits. Exploits that are present on higher "difficulty". Less exploits means harder game. Therefore "easier" game equals harder game.

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 4
RE: Making things hard actually makes them easier... - 7/19/2012 4:01:26 PM   
rogerbacon51

For a more difficult game I start one AI with a fully developed empire and everyone else at a starting level empire. Then the challenge is to take him down before 20 years when he will win because he already starts with the minimum requirements for victory.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Making things hard actually makes them easier... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI