Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strike of the eagle and 1812?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strike of the eagle and 1812? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 5/31/2012 1:05:58 AM   
wodin

Just noticed on the IOS News on boardgamegeek that these two Academy games Strike of the Eagle and 1812 The Invasion of Canada are coming out on the IPad? Is Matrix involved?

Post #: 1
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/18/2012 4:48:24 PM   
danlongman

I have no answer but I wonder how 1812 will be recieved since the Americans lost that one and had to make up a silly
and very popular song about their greatest victory which happened after the Treaty of Ghent had been signed ending the
war. In fact the British had conceded almost all the American beefs before the war was declared. Well they all went
ahead anyway just to see what would happen and when things did not work out everyone agreed to pretend that it never
took place. British and Canadian forces siezed Detroit but gave it back in disgust. York (Toronto the accursed) was blown up. (Secret applause).
A nasty interfraternal border war went on in the Niagara frontier and Washington, protected only by Dolly Parton*, (heheh) was subsequently
burned in revenge for York (Toronto the accursed). Well on our side of the 49th (the "Boarder" to Southrons) we figger burning
Washington in exchange for York (Toronto the accursed) making you keep Detroit after we had a look at it and keeping American beer(?)
out of the country for almost 200 years was a win. With a few exceptions the US Army did rather poorly... on the other hand the USN
put in a remarkable performance. And we lived in peace (the Americans told themselves they wanted warmer climes like Mexico instead)
mostly ever since.
cheers neighbors and friends have a nice summer!
*Madison - I couldn't resist using trailer park history

< Message edited by danlongman -- 6/18/2012 4:51:36 PM >

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/18/2012 5:49:24 PM   
ilovestrategy

Dan, I will never forgive the British and Canadians for giving us back Detroit. If it wasn't for them threatening to cut off our supply of sweet tea and country fried chicken, we would have never taken it back.

According to Ambrose, the citizens of Detroit were begging to stay under Canadian rule because of the really cool Canadian Mounty uniforms.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 3
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/18/2012 5:56:27 PM   
danlongman

It wasn't the uniform so much as their way kool hats, copied all over the US.
What they really wanted was the BEER. On that thought Breakfast!!
cheers

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 4
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/18/2012 7:25:39 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Dan, I will never forgive the British and Canadians for giving us back Detroit. If it wasn't for them threatening to cut off our supply of sweet tea and country fried chicken, we would have never taken it back.

According to Ambrose, the citizens of Detroit were begging to stay under Canadian rule because of the really cool Canadian Mounty uniforms.
Warspite1

TOP MAN ILS!! I haven't read that one yet, can you give us a precis of the book please? If not then just give us an outline of what its about.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 5
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/18/2012 11:52:25 PM   
ilovestrategy

It wasn't a published book, it was an excerpt of an interview taken of him when he had just arrived from the mountains of Washington looking for the American Bigfoot, of which he is the only known human to see more than once.

During the interview he said that a seer told the Brits somethng about Detroit being famous for something called the horseless carriage. The Canadians and Brits thought that was just too strange and decided to force the Yanks to take back Detroit.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/19/2012 1:24:15 AM   
danlongman

And as icing on the Motor City cake Gordon Lightfoot (He of Orillia, Ontario)
wrote "Black Day In July" for you to whistle as you cleaned up the mess.
Did you know that Windsor, Ontario is actually across the river South of Detroit?
I was amused to go down to the river bank and look North into Mo-Town.
The two cities are going to build a new bridge I hear.

Post #: 7
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/19/2012 1:32:30 AM   
danlongman

BTW my maternal Grandfather's family lived on both sides of the border in Michigan and Upper Canada (Ontario).
Legend has it the family fortune was made by bounty jumping from Michigan Infantry Regiments during the ACW.
They would cross the river and stay with cousins on the American side enlist in the first Regiment that was offering
a cash bounty or find a rich Yank to hire them as a draft substitute and skip back across the river the next day
with, usually, some hundreds of U$ dollar$. They did it lots. The money was used to build a prosperous lumber mill.
At the same time many family members served with distinction in Michigan units including a few in the Iron Brigade.

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 8
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/19/2012 1:38:17 AM   
parusski

quote:

It wasn't a published book, it was an excerpt of an interview taken of him when he had just arrived from the mountains of Washington looking for the American Bigfoot, of which he is the only known human to see more than once.

LOL LOL. Now even ils is spreading the gospel of Ambrose.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 9
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/19/2012 1:56:16 AM   
jwarrenw13

Do not belittle the American victory at New Orleans, even if it was in large part due to the British idea that the American soldiers from Louisiana and what was then the Southwest were cut from the same cloth as the rabble that fought in the northeastern campaigns, the British thus strolling in neat formations right into the fire of the entrenched Americans, many of whom were very, very upset that the British invasion of Louisiana might interfere with the upcoming Mardi Gras season. I might add that there is also some doubt as to how the British might have reacted had they captured New Orleans, regardless of the Treaty of Ghent. After all, the sale of Louisiana to the United States by Napoleon was illegal to begin with (look it up), and the British might have decided, for example, to give the whole thing back to Spain. So the American victory at New Orleans prevented a very big mess and allowed Mardi Gras to proceed without disruption.

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 10
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/19/2012 2:50:43 AM   
wodin

Listen the British beat ourselves, just some of us (the ones that beat the British soldiers) decided to call ourselves Americans.

Here endith the history lesson. British win again. ;)

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 11
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/19/2012 7:09:40 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

During the interview he said that a seer told the Brits somethng about Detroit being famous for something called the horseless carriage. The Canadians and Brits thought that was just too strange and decided to force the Yanks to take back Detroit.
Warspite1

All true enough ILS but you have not mentioned the main reason the British refused to keep Detroit. If you read Ambroses' blockbuster "We don't need this Motown $%^" (1968) Maxwell House Publishing, you will get another perspective on this curious historical incident. From Chapter 3:

..after Hulls' surrender, when Major General Isaac Brock and his Indian ally, Tecumseh, entered the sprawling metropolis that was Detroit, the Englishman was aghast. On every street corner there were people; some playing a strange kind of music, on even stranger looking instruments, while elsewhere groups of ladies were singing, while gyrating their hips and making all sorts of strange movements.

Brock looked at Tecumseh in utter bemusment. The Indian exclaimed with one of his one liners (for which he was so famous) "what the $%^& is this $%^&?". "Well quite", responded the rather non-plussed Englishman.

Brock apprehensively walked over to one of the musicians to enquire what was going on. The man, a black man with frizzy hair that exploded from the top of his head, stopped playing his instrument and looked up "Hey whassup bro? waz happenin my man?" He gave Tecumseh a quizical look, and centred on the trousers the Indian was wearing which flared out at the bottom "Cool - I got have me some of those".

"I say, would you be so kind as to tell me what is going on here?" asked Brock. "Sure thing bro - we auditionin for a new record company - Motown Records - just set up in town". The American then pointed to a young lady singing into a strange phallic looking device that Brock had never encountered before, "That the favourite right over there - Diana Ross is her name". "Why, you wanna audition too?"

"Er..certainly not" retorted the officer, visibly shaken "I have never heard such a noise in all my life". "What do you think Tecumseh?".

"I think we get the %^&*& out of this strange %^&*ing place!"

"I think you're %^&*ing right old boy - let's go.

On their way out of Detroit, the two soldiers passed one of the Motown executives walking in the opposite direction. The American acknowledged Brock "Hey bro - great piece of soldiery there to take the city, respect man". Isaac was eager to get away from this foreign land but responded with pride, "Well you know the British Army when it wants to achieve an objective - there is not a mountain high enough, nor a valley low enough, narily a river wide enough to keep us from accomplishing our goal". The American gave a smile and continued walking, a thought having suddenly come into his head.

And with that, the British / Indian army turned around and headed back for the peace and tranquility of Canada. Interestingly, this book also gives an indication of Ms Ross' real age*.

*allegedly

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/19/2012 7:56:35 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/19/2012 7:55:41 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Just noticed on the IOS News on boardgamegeek that these two Academy games Strike of the Eagle and 1812 The Invasion of Canada are coming out on the IPad? Is Matrix involved?

Nice try spambot

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/19/2012 7:21:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Nice try spambot
soojan

Wodin not spambot. He is my friend.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 14
RE: Strike of the eagle and 1812? - 6/19/2012 7:47:14 PM   
wodin

Blimey spambot...longest running spambot on here then.

< Message edited by wodin -- 6/19/2012 7:49:06 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strike of the eagle and 1812? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI