Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Scen Proposition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> New Scen Proposition Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Scen Proposition - 5/19/2012 5:06:35 PM   
JWE

Was reading a thread elsewhere about invading OZ and questioning whether the US/OZ pipeline could be severed or effectively interdicted. Did an Ops Problem for one of the groups a couple years ago on this issue and it struck me that it might be a nice small map scenario for the general playing public. It would be in the right time frame, where things were pretty much equal, and gives the Japanese player an excellent opportunity to win.

It is Operation SF. Have the original Japanese Operations Order #633, 18 May, 1942, that details everything down to sanitation platoons and picket tuna trawlers. Had to make certain assumptions.

Coral Sea happens as it did, except the bomb in Shokaku’s bow hits a few feet farther indoard. First Moresby Op got whacked. Midway happened, but not quite the same way, so as not to preclude KS. The USN lost what it did. Japan lost CarDiv 1 – Kaga sunk, Akagi a burning twisted hulk being towed back to Japan; maybe scuttled, maybe not, but if not, still out of the war for at least a year. CarDiv 2 is in slightly better shape, Hiryu and Soryu are still afloat with some motive power, but their decks are in ruins. Planes lost, but 2 precious hulls survive. Nagumo follows Genda’s advice, “Time to dee-dee outa here, Bwana, neh?”

Ichiki returns to Saipan to prepare for his moment of destiny on Guadalcanal (maybe) and everybody else fires up FS (which now becomes more important). Shokaku arrives Kure 17 May, enters Kure drydock 31 May, leaves drydock 11 June (historically 17 May, 16 June and 27 June). Hiryu arrives Kure 14 June for repairs. Soryu arrives Yokosuka 16 June for repairs.

Operational timing for FS delayed 10 days from the timeline defined in IJA OO #633..

28 June, IJN components assemble at Truk;
10 July, IJN components sortie from Truk in support of phased operations;
Operation NK:
18 July, South Seas Force (Horii, 144th IR (+)) invades New Caledonia, staging from Rabaul;
Operation MO-2:
22 July, Aoba Force (4th IR (+)) does a return engagement to Port Moresby, staging from Palau, with timed IJN support;
Operation FI:
28 July, Kawaguchi Force (35th Br/144th IR (+)), plus I and II Bns from 41st IR, invades Fijis, staging from Truk, with timed IJN support;
Operation SA:
31 July, Higashi Force (III/41st IR) invades Samoas, staging from Truk, with timed IJN support.

IJN provides 3 Bn equivalent SNLFs, 1 each for NK, FI, and SK.
9 July, Ichiki Force (28th IR (+)) alerted for movement to Truk/Rabaul, becomes 17th Army reserve force.
Hiryu could reasonably be ready for redeployment for SA (not likely, but possible). Would most likely wait for Soryu’s repair completion a couple weeks later. They would need entire new airgroups and time to work them up. Their surviving planes and pilots would go to reconstituting the ‘kaku’s airgroups. Reconstituting the ‘ryu’s airgroups will mean raping the reinforcement pipeline for 11th Air Fleet. Tanstaafl.

Allied units become available when they did. Further Japanese units become available when they did. Oh, and this is what the map will look like: upper left corner is Beetlebob, which stands in for Palaus/Davao, kinda bottom right is Tahiti, kinda bottom left is Hamilton, kinda left is Sydney, and the rest you all know very well.

Anybody interested in something like this??

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/19/2012 5:36:44 PM   
Captain Cruft

I should say so.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 2
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/19/2012 5:38:29 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Absolutely. Interested in all small-map, limited duration scenarios, whatever they might be. Go for it!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 3
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/19/2012 7:35:31 PM   
bradfordkay

This looks very promising, but I think that I would extend the map slightly to include Wellington and Pearl Harbor - being that they are barely off the map anyway (and that Wellington was the organizing point for the initial Cactus invasion).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 4
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/19/2012 8:08:59 PM   
Kitakami

It sounds very, very interesting. I agree on Wellington, maybe even the other major port in the Australian SE, west of Sidney?

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 5
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/19/2012 10:59:20 PM   
oldman45

I like the idea and would be willing to give it a whirl.

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 6
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/20/2012 1:05:34 AM   
PaxMondo

Looks really good JOhn.  I agree, bring Pearl on map.

Pax

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 7
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/20/2012 3:37:31 AM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

quote:

Absolutely. Interested in all small-map, limited duration scenarios, whatever they might be. Go for it!

JWE -

I am with berto. Will follow with interest...

Mac

P.S. - Real Men Invade Oz... (Yeah I know - I am not there yet; just at the wannabe level - give me time <grin>)

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 5/20/2012 3:41:02 AM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 8
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/20/2012 4:53:37 AM   
John 3rd

I AM taking Australia right now!

John--Excellent Idea. If you want any help please let me know. Could be a lot of fun.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 9
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/20/2012 1:43:36 PM   
mikkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto
quote:

+1, it sounds very interesting JWE

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 10
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/20/2012 5:32:28 PM   
JWE

Ok, I'll see about porting it over, then.

No Pearl, no Wellington. Nothing extraneous. This is a scenario based on an Operations Problem, and that will be the extent of it. Wish I could blank out the entire NE corner of the map, but ... nothing really there but open ocean, so what the hey.

You all are just going to have to take the Ops Problem as a given. There's lots of surprises, for both sides, without getting into extraneous matters.

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 11
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/20/2012 8:31:33 PM   
Mike Solli

Sounds exciting John. I'd love to see that scenario.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 12
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/22/2012 5:46:21 PM   
JWE

Only witch is it will have to be a H2H or PBEM scenario, at least for while. I'm figuring out this AI stuff. Getting better at it, but I can't say as I like it much. It will take a while (a looong while) to work out an adequate set of scripts for this thing.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 13
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/24/2012 8:48:58 PM   
JWE

Yeah, we do'n need no steenkin PH. Looking at the operational history and deployment records for the various US units in SoPac and woof !!

32nd and 41st Infantry Divisions were already in OZ, arrived 13-14 May, 1942.
Americal Division was already at Noumea, major elements (+) arrived as TF 6814 in 27 Feb, 1942
25th Infantry Division was available on Oahu from 2 May, 1942, it was in training and it's actual deployment was 2 Nov, 1942
43rd Infantry Division actually from staged Ft Ord 6 Sept, 1942
1st MarDiv
.. 1st Marines, depart SFO for NZ, 25 June, 1942
.. 5th Marines, at NZ, 16 May, 1942
.. 7th Marines, at Samoa, 20 May, 1942
2nd MarDiv
.. 2nd Marines, depart San Diego for NZ, 1 July, 1942
.. 6th Marines, available San Diego from 25 May, 1942, actual deployment 9 Sept, 1942
.. 8th Marines, at Samoa, 6 Jan, 1942

So, Japanese Intelligence puts 750 troops in the Samoas. Thus, they attack with 1 IJA Bn and a SNLF. What they find is 7th and 8th Marines; ooops. Then they assume 7,000 or so at New Cal and attack with 3 IJA Bns and a SNLF. What they find is Americal with a poopload of support; ooops.

They might can get the Fijis. But just look at what's in the US pipeline.

This is another buzzsaw just like Guadalcanal was; pissy little Bns assaulting Regts, until somebody gets wise and throws Divisions into the mix. A classical Strategic meeting engagement.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 14
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/30/2012 6:51:30 PM   
JWE

Ok, going to pull this down. It's a very technical scenario, so probably doesn't belong here. Will announce release and provide all background data so that interested folks can come on down and play it.

Ciao. John

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 15
RE: New Scen Proposition - 5/31/2012 4:07:57 AM   
John 3rd

Good Luck!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> New Scen Proposition Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI