From: PDX (and now) London, UK
Congratulations on longest running game in history of this forum, Obvert!
Now, show us your pools. I bet you couldn't even use those 8k Kamikaze Pilots you prepared.
1. What was your best plane for each kind of mission?
2. What was your training schedule? Too few/many pilots of any kind?
3. What was your Naval Construction plan, and what would you change in the future?
4. What were your planes research, and production priorities, and what would you change?
Also, sort this 100k destroyed planes by Total Numbers. Was there more ZEROs, or P-40 lost?
I'll get some screens up in a bit. To answer some of your questions first though ...
1. This is a big question. Obviously there is a different answer through each era of game too. I'll default to the best in late war.
Sweeps: Ki-83 (but Frank Ki-84r and N1K5 are also very good)
CAP: Frank Ki-84b (against bombers) Frank Ki-84r and N1K5 George (against fighters)
Naval strike: Grace
2. I use the same method for all pilots in every game. I train intended skill (air, airfield bombing, search, etc) and then get defensive skill in some way (low sweep at 100ft for fighter pilots) for a few weeks. Depending on group and leader the turnaround could be averaging about three months? Just a guess. I go through them and find which are ready and start over.
I used a lot of FP groups to train fighter pilots. I resize to 20-24.
I always end up with more IJAAF bomber pilots than I need.
In future I'd be interested in a game with NO pilot trained allowed. I think it distorts the game mechanics too much to have so many highly skilled pilots for each side. Japan should suffer for pilots in the end. Experienced pilots should be precious. Lower skill levels would also tone down naval strikes, airfield bombing and sweep results.
3. I didn't build Musashi. I'd probably build it next time. Don't need the extra HI and It's useful.
4. I'll show more about production with screens in a bit. Not sure I'd change much. Probably make fewer Jacks, although they're useful early if they come before the George. The N1K5 is just very good as a final model.
I might also skip the Ki-100. The Tojos were fine for a service 1 fighter quite far into the game, and the Oscar line is more versatile. the final version is good with eh 20mm canons and works for the lower level of my CAP or for escort.
I built the Patsy, but it's too little too late. I think in general I'd streamline and build fewer late war models.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill