Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Updates for Stock Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Updates for Stock Scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/29/2012 6:40:00 PM   
JWE

Many people do not visit the Scen Design Sub-Forum (don't blame them a bit). So it's been suggested I replicate it here.

quote:

Was tweaking Andy Mac's new Scen02 with the AAA and ASW fixes and thought, heck, why not ! So updated all the Stock GC scenarios with AAA, ASW, Super-E, fixes. All on the Babes website.

Scen01_War in the Pacific_The Full Campaign vj1
Scen02_War in the Pacific_Hakko Ichiu vj1
Scen06_December 8_The Full Campaign vj1
Scen07_War in the Pacific_The Full Campaign (Quiet China) vj1
Scen08_War in the Pacific_Hakko Ichiu (Quiet China) vj1
Scen09_December 8_The Full Campaign (Quiet China) vj1

Simple drop in and replace, using the existing AI files. Not updatable for in-progress games, restart required. Maybe Michaelm will gratuitously stamp them, if you ask nice. Maybe, too, these will be the standard for any future data patch (not likely, but you never know).

Ciao. J

Yes, these are mods. But they are mods by the game developers, and ongoing scenario developers. You got a problem with that, then you got a problem nobody is likely to help you with.

There is a series of waves of bitches about certain stuff that regularly surfaces from time-to-time. These updates fix those issues. Use them, or not, your choice.

Post #: 1
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/29/2012 7:37:36 PM   
Blackhorse

Well done, sir!

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 2
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/29/2012 8:53:16 PM   
Mac Linehan

JWE -

Thank You for taking the time to update the Stock Scenarios - it will give the game a whole new feel and flavor. I am so pleased and grateful that a wider range of players will have the opportunity to experience the improvements and tweaks that this represents.

And: I would respectfully point out that these mods are done by a highly experienced group of developers and modders - who have forgotten more about AE code and game function than most of us will ever know.

Hundreds of hours of labor and testing - all unpaid and for the love of the game only. Original Stock was a solid rock to build upon; once you try the mods you will never look back.

Life is Good.

Andy Mac -

There is a reason that AE continues to improve in so many positive ways - and attract more players. Matrix support is long term and absolutely second to none.

My respect to both of you.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 3
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/29/2012 9:07:07 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Many people do not visit the Scen Design Sub-Forum (don't blame them a bit). So it's been suggested I replicate it here.

quote:

Was tweaking Andy Mac's new Scen02 with the AAA and ASW fixes and thought, heck, why not ! So updated all the Stock GC scenarios with AAA, ASW, Super-E, fixes. All on the Babes website.

Scen01_War in the Pacific_The Full Campaign vj1
Scen02_War in the Pacific_Hakko Ichiu vj1
Scen06_December 8_The Full Campaign vj1
Scen07_War in the Pacific_The Full Campaign (Quiet China) vj1
Scen08_War in the Pacific_Hakko Ichiu (Quiet China) vj1
Scen09_December 8_The Full Campaign (Quiet China) vj1

Simple drop in and replace, using the existing AI files. Not updatable for in-progress games, restart required. Maybe Michaelm will gratuitously stamp them, if you ask nice. Maybe, too, these will be the standard for any future data patch (not likely, but you never know).

Ciao. J

Yes, these are mods. But they are mods by the game developers, and ongoing scenario developers. You got a problem with that, then you got a problem nobody is likely to help you with.

There is a series of waves of bitches about certain stuff that regularly surfaces from time-to-time. These updates fix those issues. Use them, or not, your choice.

Thanks John! And maybe for the computer illiterates (That is me...probably the only one on this forum). Can you use this on ANY stock installation? I get confused when I see the Babes affiliation... Many thanks.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 4
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/29/2012 9:42:26 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Thanks John! And maybe for the computer illiterates (That is me...probably the only one on this forum). Can you use this on ANY stock installation? I get confused when I see the Babes affiliation... Many thanks.

Steve - O, Loyal Follower of AE -

It is time. You ARE ready. Do not resit any longer; immerse yourself in the Light. Study Babes. Learn it; Live it. All will become clear, thus leading to Full Enlightenment and Understanding.

Resistance is futile... <grin>

True Believer Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 4/29/2012 9:46:06 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 5
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/29/2012 11:03:39 PM   
ny59giants

It would be nice if the PTB (Powers To Be) decided that these fixes could be applied to on going games. Since I'm at August '43 in an ongoing PBEM game, this is not going to help me at all.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 6
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/30/2012 2:41:55 AM   
Alfred

JWE was being helpful in stating not to apply the update to existing games. The problem with applying to ongoing games is that the split sub tube problem experienced in an earlier data update would almost certainly be experienced in this new situation regarding AAA and ASW and then players so affected would complain. Rather than hearing complaints from ingrates it is better to avoid the abuse altogether.

This problem of database updating of ongoing games is beyond the control of the PTB.

Alfred

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 7
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/30/2012 4:55:48 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

JWE -

Thank You for taking the time to update the Stock Scenarios - it will give the game a whole new feel and flavor. I am so pleased and grateful that a wider range of players will have the opportunity to experience the improvements and tweaks that this represents.

And: I would respectfully point out that these mods are done by a highly experienced group of developers and modders - who have forgotten more about AE code and game function than most of us will ever know.

Hundreds of hours of labor and testing - all unpaid and for the love of the game only. Original Stock was a solid rock to build upon; once you try the mods you will never look back.

Life is Good.

Andy Mac -

There is a reason that AE continues to improve in so many positive ways - and attract more players. HENDERSON FIELD DESIGN GROUP? support is long term and absolutely second to none.

Mac

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 8
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/30/2012 9:14:12 AM   
n01487477

Yep - thanks a lot for putting in the time to make DB improvements to the stock scenario's.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 9
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/30/2012 12:37:25 PM   
m10bob

Remarkable!..Thank you....

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 10
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/30/2012 1:02:00 PM   
janh

quote:

+1
Thanks, this was a very good idea. I wouldn't have seen this so quickly otherwise. And of course also a big "thank you" to all DaBabes contributors.

BTW, isn't most of this database changes that will port ongoing games? I never tried, but since my present game is in early 43 now, it wouldn't be my first choice to restart atm. What issues may pop up if tried to upgrade?

< Message edited by janh -- 4/30/2012 1:03:09 PM >

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 11
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 4/30/2012 7:53:42 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh
BTW, isn't most of this database changes that will port ongoing games? I never tried, but since my present game is in early 43 now, it wouldn't be my first choice to restart atm. What issues may pop up if tried to upgrade?

No issues at all. Because you won't be allowed to upgrade.

You might not care about any issues, but there's some out there that would be outraged and feel compelled to endlessly post their displeasure. So restart required means restart required.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 12
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/5/2012 5:07:37 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

JWE -

Life is Good.

Andy Mac -

There is a reason that AE continues to improve in so many positive ways - and attract more players. HENDERSON FIELD DESIGN GROUP? support is long term and absolutely second to none.

Mac

JeffK -

Thank You for the correction. I am very much remiss in not including the Henderson Field Design Group; the Team deserves credit and recognition for all that it has and continues to do in supporting AE in general, and Mods in particular.

No slight intended, gents. Your work is very much appreciated - and recognized.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 13
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/6/2012 12:59:30 AM   
Hanzberger

I think the Jones site is down

Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?

Post #: 14
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/15/2012 5:04:48 PM   
JWE

By request of players and some of the original scenario designers, some of the small stock scenarios are being updated to the same standards as the recently modified stock GC scenarios.

Scen04, Guadalcanal - update v01 is now posted on the Babes site. Scen03, Battle of the Coral Sea and Scen05, The Thousand-Mile War, are in process. This should give some impetus to new players and those players who do not wish to invest in a GC scenario.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 15
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/15/2012 7:17:58 PM   
Treetop64

Question.

As I am (still. It takes weeks for me to set up a non-historical first turn before the execution) setting up for my non-historical first turn on a new Scen 1 Allied campaign (saved game before the first-turn execution), will installing these mess things up OOBs or scripts or anything? Or, will the changes not have an effect unless I start and select a new campaign and start all over? Just need a bit of clarification.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 16
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 12:15:39 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

Yes, these are mods. But they are mods by the game developers, and ongoing scenario developers ...

Maybe I'm missing the point, but if these mods are by the AE the game developers, why aren't they being patched into AE as updates?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 17
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 1:05:41 AM   
JWE

Well excuse the heck out of us for trying. Next time we won't even bother telling you people. Have a nice day.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 18
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 1:10:39 AM   
Mike Solli

Hey John, thanks. You guys never cease to amaze me. Years ago, this was, hands down, the best war-game ever. And you keep making it better.

Now my wife may not feel the same way. I tell her that she always knows exactly where I am and what I'm doing (usually cursing my wily opponent).

I really appreciate all you have done here.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 19
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 1:23:52 AM   
Kitakami

Many thanks!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 20
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 5:54:07 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

Yes, these are mods. But they are mods by the game developers, and ongoing scenario developers ...

Maybe I'm missing the point, but if these mods are by the AE the game developers, why aren't they being patched into AE as updates?

Simple... because this is unofficial, off-the-clock volunteer work being done by the guys who love this game so much that they created AE with no expectation of remuneration. Matrix would have to pay someone to to test and release them as official updates, which isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to improve the best wargame ever made!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 21
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 6:02:18 AM   
moore4807

JWE;
Just look at it as JoeD's unique way of saying thanks for the great work encased in a question!

I for one think its great that this game survives so long and keeps interest going! Maybe you guys need Mod fanboys? LOL
Jim

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 22
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 6:27:47 AM   
Nikademus

my personal thx to JWE for updating the official AE scen04 (Guad) to the lastest GC standards. It was lagging badly in that dept but he got it updated in no time flat. Had i tried it would have taken forever!!!!!! Device slots are sometimes NOT your friends. :)

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 23
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 8:22:43 AM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

Bradfordkay gave the general answer in post #21 why they aren't being released as a data patch.

For a more detailed answer as to the pitfalls which to to be avoided requires a lot more official Matrix work before release, see this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3092284

Post #12 in that thread is from JWE and he identifies the sort of pitfalls which lie about. Post #13 is from Andy Mac which elaborates a bit more on the issue.

Basically the process of applying an official database update to ongoing games is fraught with many hidden diffiulties and invariably leads to player complaints. Which is why in the past there have been several comments from the devs that code updates are fine but database updates are not favoured.

Alfred

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 24
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 9:11:53 AM   
janh

Thanks Alfred, that now explains it. I was wondering about the reasoning.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 25
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 10:29:18 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

Simple... because this is unofficial, off-the-clock volunteer work being done by the guys who love this game so much that they created AE with no expectation of remuneration. Matrix would have to pay someone to to test and release them as official updates ...

Well, at the risk of making an already awkward situation even more so ...

Since the devs have already done the work w/o any renumeration -- thank you, BTW -- why can't AE players beta test the patches w/o any renumeration?

Isn't that what happens even when official patches are first released onto the Members Forum, or am I still missing something here?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 26
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 1:06:56 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

Simple... because this is unofficial, off-the-clock volunteer work being done by the guys who love this game so much that they created AE with no expectation of remuneration. Matrix would have to pay someone to to test and release them as official updates ...

Well, at the risk of making an already awkward situation even more so ...

Since the devs have already done the work w/o any renumeration -- thank you, BTW -- why can't AE players beta test the patches w/o any renumeration?

Isn't that what happens even when official patches are first released onto the Members Forum, or am I still missing something here?

Joe, there is more to it on Matrix's part when anything is released as an "official" patch.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 27
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 4:55:10 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Can these be saved as a new scn number so we can play a stock campaign say scn2 and this one???

thanks

cav

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 28
RE: Updates for Stock Scenarios - 5/16/2012 5:28:35 PM   
Treetop64

quote:

quote:

Yes, you are missing the point. You're scratching your head over semantics.
To answer your question, they have. The latest official patch is the result of a series of betas consisting of a long, long list of modifications and tweaks. Officially policed 'mods', if you will, that culminated into the latest patch.

It doesn't all happen at once.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Updates for Stock Scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI