[REL] [Universe] Character Image Pack

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Tampa_Gamer

[REL] [Universe] Character Image Pack

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Another portion of my personal mod - now updated for the DW: Universe expansion

UPDATED screen shot of images (was finally able to get attachment working)

From the readme...

Tampa_Gamer Character Image Mod v1.01
Distant Worlds (Universe) version 1.9.5.1
May 31, 2014

========================================================================
INTRODUCTION

Distant Worlds (Legends) added the concept of RPG-like characters to the game. These characters each have a "card" in the game which contains data regarding the character as well as an image of the character (typically a "head and shoulders" picture). At this point, the default image for each and every character is simply the race image, which lends itself to a rather boring RPG element. This can be worked around by making a copy of the race you like to play and adding it to your personal theme and then designating characters for that race. You can designate as many or as few characters as you want (e.g. if you wanted each class of characters to have its own picture, then just use one image and copy it 15x giving each a unique name). For my own personal theme, I have created my own cast of characters which are for the most part humans. Included in this mod are my current batch of images - 15 for each of the nine character classes. However, because I use pictures of my friends/family for the Leader and Pirate classes, I have excluded those and instead included the same image for all 15 images.

In addition to the images, I have included an example of my "CUSTOM RACE.txt" file including all of the names for purposes of copying/pasting into your own version of personal theme.

INSTALLATION/REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS

This mod is created in the spirit of allowing these to be added to your own custom theme/mod.

To install, unzip these files to your personal theme folder contained in the Customization folder of the main gamedirectory. They should be placed within the following subfolders of your theme:

(1) Place the 135 .png files in "[Distant Worlds install folder]Customization\[Your Theme]\images\units\characters"

(2) Place the file "CUSTOM RACE.txt" in "[Distant Worlds install folder]\Customization\[YourTheme]\characters" but rename it consistent with your own custom race.

To uninstall, simply delete them and the default files will be used instead.

MOD CONFLICT ANALYSIS

This mod should not create conflicts with other mods unless you try to add characters to the same race you added these. If that is the case, then you can avoid the conflict by appending the two lists of characters into one text file (and verify that none of the image files utilize the same name).

VERSION HISTORY

v1.01 (05/31/2014) updated release for Distant Worlds: Universe
+ updated to include 5 more images for each class and 15 for the captain class

v1.00 (02/29/2012) initial release version
+ added new text file containing statistics for 70 characters
+ added 70 new character images

NOTES/COPYRIGHT ISSUES

(1) The images contained in this mod were taken from a variety of sources and were further modified using GIMP and other tools. This mod is distributed completely free of charge.

(2) This mod may be used in any personal themes you re-post provided you give me credit for this contribution and put a link to this thread so others can provide feedback and/or know of future changes.

(3) As all my mods are a continual work-in-progress, please forward all tweaks, suggestions and bugs found to me via personal mail.

Have Fun!
-Tampa_Gamer

Download Link (Zip File)

Attachments
UpdatedSnapshot.jpg
UpdatedSnapshot.jpg (914.13 KiB) Viewed 361 times
For those interested, forum thread link to post with a master list of all my DW mods: Link

Igard

RE: [REL] Character Image Pack

Post by Igard »

Some great characters here. Nice work TG. [8D]
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Just a quick update to ensure compatibility for DW: Universe and include various images incorporated over the last year or so. This is not intended as a stand-alone mod, but instead as a resource for your own personal mod theme.
For those interested, forum thread link to post with a master list of all my DW mods: Link

AnddyiRaynor

Post by AnddyiRaynor »

You really should update that image at the top (it was there the other day) that showed a preview of those pictures included in the download because not everyone (me) wants old people/ old pictures. [:'(]
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Done - was having trouble with attachment feature. Snapshot should now include added images from prior updates. Of course as an "old person" myself I resent the comment that no one wants old people! ;)

andyinkuwait

Post by andyinkuwait »

I'd like to ask some questions just to make sure I've got it right. I want to mod the Extended Universe theme and I play as a human so I rename the txt file human.txt and put it in Extended Universe\characters. I then put the pics into Extended Universe\images\units\characters. Do I need to change the txt file and add 'human' somewhere or will it just use those characters whatever race I play while playing this theme?

Apologies for being dense but I'm very new to modding games......

Also I can change the initial number in the text lines to ? in order to randomize the order the characters appear. Is that correct?

I really like the idea of having my pics randomly appearing with randomized skills and attributes. This will tell a great story I think!!
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

The images are file specific, so only the race that your specified/linked in \Extended Universe\characters\ with those links (e.g. human.txt) will use those pics. You could in theory have multiple races using the same images as long as their characters files were setup that way. With respect to the "?" I have not had 100% success in using that for the random order but in theory you should be able to change them all to ? and have them appear in random order.

andyinkuwait

Post by andyinkuwait »

I've put ? in front of all lines but I am getting maybe 18 characters appearing at the beginning of the game on my home planet.

What determines how many characters appear and what type they are at the beginning of the game?

Playing vanilla I would usually have maybe one character leader at the beginning of the game so I seem to have messed that up.

Any ideas?
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

that is exactly what my experience was - the usual character limits didn't seem to apply when I used "?"

andyinkuwait

Post by andyinkuwait »

OK. No problem, I'll put them back to an ordered list for now.

Return to “Design and Modding”