Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/15/2012 8:49:21 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

Warspite1

Okay, HAL is really staring to freak me out now. He changed your post to read shoe size......

Should I be scared here? It's getting so I can't sleep nights - not that I sleep anyway with all this research and coding, and Disney polls and stuff.

Hal does not tolerate much. You must be doing something he does not approve of. I never had any issues with Hal.
Warspite1

Well I'll start conversing in German and see if that settles him. He's normally okay once I've sung him a lullaby at the end of the working day - he just gets so cranky for no apparent reason and flies off the handle....I wonder if HAL is a female computer?

DUH. Everyone knows Hal is short for Halerina.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 601
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/15/2012 10:16:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

quote:

Does anyone know anything about one of the lesser known battles of the G7YPBW - The Battle of Lago Poopó (1805)?

Here is the general battle area

Interesting little known detail is that local boat rowers had to be hired to get the attacking forces across the lake which smelled alot like poo which caused nausea for many of the troops. Rare picture below of one on the local boat rowers.

Warspite1

Right something new: I am going to start the story and invite Steiner, Yogi, nate and Orm to add to the story – one paragraph at a time. Please do not make anything up – your sections should be thoroughly and properly researched.

The Battle of Lago Poopo was fought on the 31st May 1805. The battle was fought between armies from four nations and each country gives the battle its own name. While Lago Poopo is its Peruvian name, the battle goes by the name of Alotta Poopo in Russia, Les Battle de la deux lakes in France and the Battle of the silly names (snigger) in England.

Fought across the sprawling Bolivian lowland plain that sits between the twin lakes of Titicaca (snigger) and Poopo (guffaw guffaw), the battle took place over a three-week period in the stifling Bolivian June heat.

The small English contingent – 800 men of the 3rd Battalion the Princess Ursula’s (South Shields) Yeomanry (P.U.S.S.Y), commanded by Lt-Colonel M.R.S Slocombe, was ordered to guard the plain between the two lakes. These 800 men had a vital 200-mile front to guard. If the French army – 60,000 strong, with their 20,000 Peruvian allies broke through, then the Peanut Brittle-rich farmlands of western Brazil would be at their mercy.

The incredibly brave English soldiers were all alone. All they had to assist them in the defence of the plain was 750,000 Russian soldiers of Ivan Koniev’s 4th Army…..

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/15/2012 10:17:28 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 602
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/15/2012 10:54:57 PM   
parusski

quote:

Princess Ursula’s (South Shields) Yeomanry (P.U.S.S.Y)

That has stopped me in my tracks...I will have to make my contribution the day after today.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 603
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/15/2012 11:02:20 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Princess Ursula’s (South Shields) Yeomanry (P.U.S.S.Y)

That has stopped me in my tracks...I will have to make my contribution the day after today.
Warspite1

Er..you mean tomorrow?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 604
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/16/2012 12:04:52 AM   
Yogi the Great

You know on careful review I think our rowers came from Lake Titicaca.

Warspite, please take great care and include a lot of detail on the marker chits representing the rowers. Without them the entire Princess Ursula’s (South Shields) Yeomanry contingent would have been lost.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 605
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/16/2012 8:50:43 PM   
nate25

Warspite,

Don't forget the 7th Bn., Bungay Uttoxeter Lampeter Lerwicks,
and the 2nd Bn., South Hams Impington Truro Etons.

Both were guarding Basilio's PB Farm at Lago Poopo.

Thanks,
NG

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 606
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/16/2012 10:12:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

Warspite,

Thanks,
NG
Warspite1

Those are made up battalions aren't they nate? I repeat my earlier quote

quote:

Please do not make anything up – your sections should be thoroughly and properly researched.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 607
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/16/2012 10:53:57 PM   
nate25

quote:

quote:

Warspite,

Thanks,
NG
Warspite1

Those are made up battalions aren't they nate? I repeat my earlier quote

quote:

Please do not make anything up – your sections should be thoroughly and properly researched.

I beg your pardon?

The 7th Bn., B.U.L.L. was protecting the hacienda, and the 2nd Bn., S.H.I.T.E. was deployed at the PB works.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 608
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/16/2012 10:54:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite, please take great care and include a lot of detail on the marker chits representing the rowers. Without them the entire Princess Ursula’s (South Shields) Yeomanry contingent would have been lost.
Warspite1

I have been working on the Rower counters for about three days now Yogi. These are vital counters in the Lago Poopo scenario. This is my first pass at the counter. Comments?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 609
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 11:22:14 AM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

I have been working on the Rower counters for about three days now Yogi. These are vital counters in the Lago Poopo scenario. This is my first pass at the counter. Comments?

Very nice warspite and quite artsy. Leaves plenty to the imagination of the player.

On the other hand, do you think perhaps a bit more detailed depiction of the rower could be in order. Maybe a removal of some attire, turn a little sideways displaying more detailed features with the correct amount of shadow. But again very nice work I am impressed.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 610
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 11:39:30 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Very nice warspite and quite artsy. Leaves plenty to the imagination of the player.

On the other hand, do you think perhaps a bit more detailed depiction of the rower could be in order. Maybe a removal of some attire, turn a little sideways displaying more detailed features with the correct amount of shadow. But again very nice work I am impressed.

Warspite1

Yogi, may I enquire: are you looking at this from the perspective of a wargame or as a dirty old perv?

I suspect its the latter....let me see what I can do

Post #: 611
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 12:25:09 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

Yogi, may I enquire: are you looking at this from the perspective of a wargame or as a dirty old perv?

I am deeply offended. My only motivation is for you to make a beautifully illustrated game. My suggestion would have vastly increased the number of copies you would be able to sell.

Although you might want to consider this topic for the next great poll. Just what percentage of wargamers are actually dirty old pervs? Perhaps the world needs to know.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 612
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 12:44:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

I am deeply offended. My only motivation is for you to make a beautifully illustrated game. My suggestion would have vastly increased the number of copies you would be able to sell.

Although you might want to consider this topic for the next great poll. Just what percentage of wargamers are actually dirty old pervs? Perhaps the world needs to know.
Warspite1

Of course - I apologise. Is this illustration of sufficient beauty?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 613
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 1:15:30 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

Very good warspite, sales should skyrocket. I do question the need for the two x's near center of picture, although it may be period armor protection. You do good work!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 614
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 1:46:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Very good warspite, sales should skyrocket. I do question the need for the two x's near center of picture, although it may be period armor protection. You do good work!
Warspite1

The X's? These were actually a very clever defensive ploy adopted by the Lago Poopo rowers. They had heard that the French infantry were somewhat lacking in the accuracy department. By placing big arrows across their chest, they assumed that the French soldiers would aim for these targets; thereby ensuring that French gunfire would miss them by about six feet.

This ploy proved exceptionally successful.....well it did until the Lago Poopo rowers treacherously switched sides in 1810. When they came up against the British 95th Riflemen, they forgot to remove the X's - with predictably unfortunate results.......

Post #: 615
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 5:17:53 PM   
parusski

I just came across this photo of warspite1 being rowed by HER. It is rumored warpsite is spending more time in that boat than working on the game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 616
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 8:19:53 PM   
nate25

Hmmm.

He's not what I had pictured.

Still, if you spend all your time programming a game, there's not much left over for grooming your look, right?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 617
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 8:26:19 PM   
parusski

quote:

Hmmm.

He's not what I had pictured.

Still, if you spend all your time programming a game, there's not much left over for grooming your look, right?

ROTFLMAO.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 618
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 8:43:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I just came across this photo of warspite1 being rowed by HER. It is rumored warpsite is spending more time in that boat than working on the game.

Warspite1

Not so - although I don't smoke or have a ponytail - I am much fatter and uglier than that. I don't know who the HER is, but assume you mean Naiad. This is not the case - Naiad died, along with her rowing chums in a hail of bullets courtesy of the 95th Riflemen in 1810.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 619
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 8:58:16 PM   
nate25

So what now, Warspite?

You've got your OOBs, you've got your battle descriptions, you've got HAL. . . It's been almost two weeks.

When do we test the beta?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 620
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 9:02:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

So what now, Warspite?

You've got your OOBs, you've got your battle descriptions, you've got HAL. . . It's been almost two weeks.

When do we test the beta?
Warspite1

Well, when you three lazy individuals write the script for the Battle of Lago Poopo. I cannot get this game in Beta format without this vital battle being coded. This was THE turning point of the war. Besides which, telling this story gives us the opportunity to post more pictures of hot babes by the lakeside wearing little more than a couple of large handkercheifs.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 621
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 9:06:14 PM   
nate25

One thing I don't see anyone bringing up is the fact that the entire battle took place on the little spit of land that divides the lake in two.

This is where Basilio's PB plantation was.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 622
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 9:09:51 PM   
parusski

quote:

Naiad died, along with her rowing chums in a hail of bullets courtesy of the 95th Riflemen in 1810

Uh oh. You must not have read Naiad - The True Story, by S. Ambrose(1992). Ambrose states "Spencer Perceval, effective PM in 1810, ordered that a rumour should be released saying Naiad was killed in a hail of bullets. In fact, Naiad was spirited to London where she lived, under constant guard, until she was betrothed to Robert of Uttoxeter(also known as John). It was a sordid affair, with RoU divorcing his first wife, Marjorie, in order to marry a Naiad. RoU's health club failed shortly after marrying the nymph forcing him to take a job with a bank in Uttoxeter. The banks President, Peter of Uttoxeter, gave RoU a job as a restroom attendant in the bank. Robert and Naiad have been seen together just a few times, prompting all who see them to note how RoU has not aged well, while Naiad is eternally young".

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 623
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 9:10:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

One thing I don't see anyone bringing up is the fact that the entire battle took place on the little spit of land that divides the lake in two.

This is where Basilio's PB plantation was.
Warspite1 (adopting suitably superior tone)

nate25 - I would, at this juncture, refer you to post 602:

a) observe the map which features lakes Titicaca and Poopo
b) please read - if indeed you have learnt so to do - the introduction to the battle that I wrote to start the process off. This confirms where the battle was fought.

Now, sort yourself out or Mrs W will be paying a visit to Middletown Ohio with a stick of celery and an egg-whisk. Believe me, you don't want to go there.....

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 624
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 9:31:51 PM   
nate25

Maybe HAL has led you astray.

Titicaca is on the border of Peru and Bolivia. (Island of the Sun, etc.).

I believe Yogi has had a hand in this deception as well. Just another reason we can't trust him as President.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 625
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 9:34:52 PM   
nate25

Look at the map.

Basilio's was on the tiny spit of land that divides Poopo in two.

I'm not saying in the area b/t Titicaca and Poopo.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 626
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 9:36:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Maybe HAL has led you astray.

Titicaca is on the border of Peru and Bolivia. (Island of the Sun, etc.).

I believe Yogi has had a hand in this deception as well. Just another reason we can't trust him as President.
Warspite1 (no longer giving off an air of superiority, but starting instead to lose the will to live)

Look at the map!!!! What in the name of all that is holy, is difficult to grasp?? The lake in the northwestern portion of the map, near La Paz, is Titicaca. The clue is the names Peru and Bolivia on the map....

Mrs Warspite

Shall I pack the egg-whisk Mr W sir?

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 627
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 9:51:05 PM   
nate25

I can read the map.

So we're leaving out Basilio's from the game?

This is straying too far from history. To leave out the skirmish at Basilio's PB Plantation is not doing the Battle of Lago Poopo justice.

Huh. I should've known when you wouldn't fix the ammo headstamp issue that it was your way or the highway.

Such a British bias. I don't know if can contribute any more at this juncture.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 628
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/17/2012 10:02:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I can read the map.

So we're leaving out Basilio's from the game?

This is straying too far from history. To leave out the skirmish at Basilio's PB Plantation is not doing the Battle of Lago Poopo justice.

Huh. I should've known when you wouldn't fix the ammo headstamp issue that it was your way or the highway.

Such a British bias. I don't know if can contribute any more at this juncture.
Warspite1

nate25 I am a very serious historian. No, I most certainly do not - at this or any other juncture - suggest leaving out Basillio's. It happened, its a shame, but it happened. We can never - should never - forget what happened on that small strip of land. But when you say the entire battle took place there, you are completely ignoring so much of the rest of the campaign. That's not British bias - its fact.

I suspect there is an element of guilt in your response, and I don't blame you for that. After all, had the 3rd Middletown (Ohio Players) Regiment been able to secure a supply of Nike Zoom Hyperenforcer Basketball trainers, they may have been able to run to Basillio's farm quick enough to save the town from the fate that overtook them. Oh yes, I have done the research. It was one John nate25 III, your great, great, great grandad I believe - that, as quartermaster-general for the Ohio Players - failed to put in the requisite paper work in time to ensure delivery of the Nike footwear.

In regular army boots there was simply no way they could reach Basillio's in time....I'm sorry, I feel your pain.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 629
RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary - 3/18/2012 2:54:12 AM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

The X's? These were actually a very clever defensive ploy adopted by the Lago Poopo rowers. They had heard that the French infantry were somewhat lacking in the accuracy department. By placing big arrows across their chest, they assumed that the French soldiers would aim for these targets; thereby ensuring that French gunfire would miss them by about six feet.

This ploy proved exceptionally successful.....well it did until the Lago Poopo rowers treacherously switched sides in 1810. When they came up against the British 95th Riflemen, they forgot to remove the X's - with predictably unfortunate results.......

Hmm I understand, but truly horrific. While I appreciate the great accuracy of the British 95th Rifleman the destruction to such a magnificiant and shapely mound is disturbing. Please keep the chit marker properly displaying the original topography.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: 1000 posts help-12yr anniversary Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI