Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> RE: New Game? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Game? - 9/30/2020 4:36:09 PM   
Zorch

+1 Ramming Speed!

(in reply to mercenarius)
Post #: 241
RE: New Game? - 10/4/2020 1:07:33 AM   
mercenarius

Here is a screen shot of the Popup menu in action with disabling. The idea is that the player can turn tooltips on to get an explanation for an item being disabled.

Attachment (1)

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 242
RE: New Game? - 10/4/2020 6:14:13 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

+1 Ramming Speed!

Indeed.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 243
RE: New Game? - 10/8/2020 7:22:47 PM   
Lascar

Very nice looking graphics.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 244
RE: New Game? - 10/11/2020 1:01:56 AM   
mercenarius

Well, I found that in preparing the popup menu for rivers that I had to finish my scheme for fleet patrols on rivers, which I hadn't quite finalized. So I started by adding naval bases on rivers which is something that can be supported on certain rivers.

Before showing that, let me say that I realize that the game map gets pretty crowded on the Rhine and Danube frontiers with so many Roman forts and fortresses (and cities). This isn't so true here, because this screenshot is taken from the Trajan scenario and that is 98 A.D. A hundred years later and the Danube frontier is bristling with them.

I decided to change the control banner for ports to use an anchor symbol in place of a faction icon. That is more generic because the player has only the color scheme to go by, but I think that in general it will provide more clarity rather than less. Here is a screenshot of the naval base at Noviodunum with the provincial fleet in port:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mercenarius -- 10/11/2020 1:13:28 AM >

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 245
RE: New Game? - 10/11/2020 1:05:25 AM   
mercenarius

Here is the naval base at Gesoriacum with the provincial fleet at sea. Now, this isn't a river port, but it shows the new anchor icon in action. There isn't a banner in the city because there isn't a garrison there (unlike Noviodunum which has a frontier army garrison in the city proper).

Anyway, if the player isn't sure about control, all banners can be toggled on with the "B" hotkey, of course. And if there is any doubt the player can simply select the port to verify the current owner. I say this because there are countless barbarian factions and their colors are not always so easily identifiable. Well, it's tough being the Emperor of Rome!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mercenarius -- 10/11/2020 1:10:33 AM >

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

Post #: 246
RE: New Game? - 10/11/2020 10:16:32 AM   
Orm

Thank you for the update. This looks awesome. And it sounds even better. It might indeed be tough to be emperor, but it sure do sound like fun.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 247
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> RE: New Game? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI