Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/20/2011 5:27:15 PM   
cavalry

Which longer scn is good to try for the axis?

I have played Road to Smolensk - hopeless WW1 style battle
I have played 2 x case Blue - Both times the Russian are on the offensive by end Aug.

I have a lot to learn but I do not think i played any of the above badly. I do not know how many of you have played these scn?

So please advise some comments on the play balance of say 43 or 44 scn

Thanks Cav
Post #: 1
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/20/2011 10:02:05 PM   
governato

I am playing GC43 as The Russians against Callistrid (and I should post a casual AAR about it). It is fun so far and it 'feels' like the real campaign. The Axis is running back to the Dnepr. but the Red Army has a hard time coordinating all its firepower on a fluid frontline. My opponent has been able to preserve most of his panzers so he has opportunities for strong counterattacks, although he as so far choosen not to do so. GC44 would be more one sided...

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 2
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/21/2011 9:07:05 AM   
cavalry

OK thanks for that - so I assume he did not try Kursk?

< Message edited by cavalry -- 12/21/2011 9:08:50 AM >

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 3
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/21/2011 2:23:01 PM   
juret

44 is unplayable. u can hold east front but romania and hungary very fast surrenders and u can do nothing againt it. also whole southern germany becomes avaible for invasion of red hordes and u got no defenders

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 4
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/21/2011 2:55:32 PM   
cavalry

OK thanks - I assume you have played that one?

43 looks the better bet.

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 5
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/21/2011 5:13:38 PM   
governato

No he did not try a Kursk Offensive. '44 should be fun vs the Russian AI...

< Message edited by governato -- 12/22/2011 4:53:00 PM >

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 6
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/21/2011 6:41:04 PM   
Callistrid

On the 43GC the german don't have any chance to encircle Kursk. lvl 4 forts plus high CV value guard troops stand against the german. My only hope was to build a better defense line near the dnyepr, hold a short line...
However, we start the game in 1.4.36. and I still use all my AP to activate the german army :(

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 7
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/22/2011 2:10:36 PM   
cavalry

OK thanks for the reply - if I remember the forts are now 3 at Kursk - still looks tricky.

(in reply to Callistrid)
Post #: 8
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/23/2011 9:00:22 PM   
Mentor

Why not the '41 GC?

The later GCs are complex and tricky.  You need to perform a lot of finesse to get them back into a playable zone that fits your style and objectives.  I would not recommend playing one of them as your first GC, especially if you found the short scenarios tough.  I can be almost 100% confident that you will be in better shape in the second year of the '41 GC than you are when you start the '42 GC.

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 9
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/23/2011 9:37:31 PM   
governato

On the other hand GC41 is rather unforgiving to German players, which is why many of them quit after Winter..by then they would want to replay the campaign from the start. I find the 42 and 43 exciting and fresher (GC41 has been played a thousand times!).
But mileage might vary of course.

(in reply to Mentor)
Post #: 10
RE: Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? - 12/24/2011 2:49:34 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Callistrid

On the 43GC the german don't have any chance to encircle Kursk. lvl 4 forts plus high CV value guard troops stand against the german. My only hope was to build a better defense line near the dnyepr, hold a short line...
However, we start the game in 1.4.36. and I still use all my AP to activate the german army :(

I'll disagree with you on a small point there -- the Germans can in fact pull off a Kursk encirclement, right from turn 1 in the 43 GC. That's been the case from 1.03 right to the latest patch. There are enough elite SS assets in the area to break the lines on both sides and pull off the encirclement at at least a shallow level.

That does, however, doom the German army to defeat. I have had 2 opponents try it against me as the Soviets, both succeeded and both surrendered within about 5-6 turns of the start of the game. The reinforcing Soviet mech forces coming down from Moscow and Tula will counter-encircle the Germans on both sides fairly easily before the Germans can reduce the pocket or build any fort levels, and the Germans just can't break out of that with any speed. Plus, if you're playing random weather (which most people do these days) chances are you'll get a turn of mud within 3-4 turns and when that happens it's death for the Germans.

Don't try it. Best to stick with the fallback to a fortified river line as others have suggested and hope to grind the Soviets down from there.

Having said that, the 43 GC is my favourite scenario. It's well worth playing for either side.

--
Del

(in reply to Callistrid)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Which Scenario 43 or 44 as Axis? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI