Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Terrible Characters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Terrible Characters Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 2:40:06 PM   
Supronar

I'm in the early game as humans and I get my first fleet admiral. So I look him over, and he's got all negative stats. Negative to maneuvering, negative to defense, and at least three other negatives. I dismissed him. Is there any reason to keep a character like this? Seems a bit of a waste to get a character that actually makes you worse.

For RPing, how in the worlds does this guy make admiral?
Post #: 1
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 3:05:43 PM   
Stelteck

In fact, in my opinion, in any army or organisation, especially in peace time (with no real external pressure to force you to be competent), you have more chance to find leader with negative stats than brillant one.

To raise in any organisation, you must be a good politician and be expert in hiding problems under the carpet......

Your amiral is probably very competent in public relation with political leaders

(in reply to Supronar)
Post #: 2
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 3:06:10 PM   
Ares106

i got a xenophobic and corrupt spy.

his picture was posted on the awesome characters thread in a sarcastic manner.

So i sent him on a suicide mission despite people suggesting I keep him on counterintelligence.

Now that Im at war with regional powers, my stations are randomly blowing up because he was the only spy i had gotten all game, and ever since his death my counter-espionage agency is naked.
If you are going to dismiss someone, do it only if you are certain it will not hurt you later.

(in reply to Supronar)
Post #: 3
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 4:08:46 PM   
Canute0

quote:

I'm in the early game as humans and I get my first fleet admiral. So I look him over, and he's got all negative stats. Negative to maneuvering, negative to defense, and at least three other negatives. I dismissed him. Is there any reason to keep a character like this? Seems a bit of a waste to get a character that actually makes you worse.

In fact be happy he got so many skills, doesn't matter if they got negativ. After a few battles he learned alot and they are positive.
Its better then someone who just got 1 skill that is positive.

(in reply to Ares106)
Post #: 4
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 5:09:08 PM   
Fishers of Men

Canute is correct. I had an admiral with several negative abilities when I first got him. But I did not dismiss him but assigned him to a fleet. After a few victories in battle, his abilities began reversing in to positive ones. Now is he is good enough to lead a much larger fleet in an invasion of an enemy homeworld. I am glad I held on to him and gave him a chance to improve.

FoM

Old............but very fast

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 5
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 5:18:33 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Supronar
For RPing, how in the worlds does this guy make admiral?

We have a saying here in America -- at least in the days when I was in the super-corporate world...
It is not what you know, but WHO you know...

I am sure that does not happen today, though...

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 12/20/2011 5:20:23 PM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Supronar)
Post #: 6
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 6:44:38 PM   
Shark7

A weak, poor administrator leader. Luckily I was a replublic and he lost the election....to someone even worse.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 7
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 8:43:23 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

quote:

In fact be happy he got so many skills, doesn't matter if they got negativ. After a few battles he learned alot and they are positive.
Its better then someone who just got 1 skill that is positive.

Actually it depends on whether they are negative skills, or negative traits. Skills will improve given time/experience but trait negatives with no skill component will never improve. I had an admiral in one game who was to hopeless to keep. Six -10 trait negatives, and one skill, hyperjump speed which was also -8. Okay, decades down the track he may have got the fleet moving a bit faster (after slowing it down all that time) but his targeting, counter-measures, damages, etc negatives were never going to go away. Clearly better off with no admiral than this character.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 8
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 8:54:20 PM   
J HG T

Speaking about terrible characters, just finished my current game by destroying Shakturis. Quite damn epic war in couple of sectors that had many stalemates and several worlds blown apart by DWs (long live the New Freedon Alliance and Zerhex Alliance!).
But, to the point: I had ludicriously bad luck about half-way through the game: About four leaders in row with absolutely no positive bonuses. They were simply useless. Pretty much every negative trait you can think of was seen. When the Refugees appeared I was getting really worried 'cause of my incompetent leaders who couldn't even push pens.
Things got better, but it was really close that my empire would pretty much collapse to economic crisis and unhappy people rebbelling.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 9
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 8:57:47 PM   
Supronar

Maybe there's room in the future for a new facility, like an academy, that could raise the odds you get better traits on your leaders.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 10
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/20/2011 10:09:21 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
A weak, poor administrator leader. Luckily I was a replublic and he lost the election....to someone even worse.

I am sorry Shark, that was so funny, I fell off of my chair laughing...
Here comes the big elections, and you want to get rid of Bozo the Clown, and then you end up with someone like Paris Hilton as a replacement.

Is it time for an uprising yet?

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 12/20/2011 10:12:00 PM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/21/2011 12:47:15 PM   
jpwrunyan

Corrupt, Weak starting spy.

I can't dismiss him either because, UNLIKE LEADERS, spies never come back.
Seems like starting human spies are always corrupt, lawful, or otherwise crappy. But this is the first time I have seen it THIS bad.

Counter Espionage -6
Espionage -9
Sabotage -14
PsyOps -20
Concealment -20
Assassination -20

What a POS.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 12
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/21/2011 1:27:09 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Supronar

Maybe there's room in the future for a new facility, like an academy, that could raise the odds you get better traits on your leaders.

Indeed,an academy that would allow a positive modifier so leaders might start with less negative penalties or at 0%.

Also the academy would allow a better chance at multiple skills.

Excellent idea i was thinking along these lines myself.

(in reply to Supronar)
Post #: 13
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/21/2011 3:23:01 PM   
Ares106

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

Corrupt, Weak starting spy.

I can't dismiss him either because, UNLIKE LEADERS, spies never come back.
Seems like starting human spies are always corrupt, lawful, or otherwise crappy. But this is the first time I have seen it THIS bad.

Counter Espionage -6
Espionage -9
Sabotage -14
PsyOps -20
Concealment -20
Assassination -20

What a POS.

i sent my spy on a suicide mission, does that mean I will never get another spy?

what kind of things can you do to get more spies?

For instance I get generals for recruiting troops and admirals during space combat. How do spies work?

I remember in the first DW and ROTS spies where way too easy to recruit and use, now it seems way to hard to use espionage.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 14
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/22/2011 1:11:54 AM   
jpwrunyan

This is an ongoing gripe I have with the game: getting new spies. So far in my experience the only way to get new spies is to succeed at spying. So no matter how crap my spy is I try to get him to do something. I really think this is broken since every other leader it seems you can take active steps to receive. But not spies. Crappy spy? Dead spy? You are SOL.

For the record, I have never gained more than one *maybe* two new spies in a game... After like 30 missions...

(in reply to Ares106)
Post #: 15
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/22/2011 2:29:27 AM   
Ares106

quote:

This is an ongoing gripe I have with the game: getting new spies. So far in my experience the only way to get new spies is to succeed at spying. So no matter how crap my spy is I try to get him to do something. I really think this is broken since every other leader it seems you can take active steps to receive. But not spies. Crappy spy? Dead spy? You are SOL.

For the record, I have never gained more than one *maybe* two new spies in a game... After like 30 missions...

i think this is good, you shouldn't get more then 1 or 2 spies,

otherwise you can too easily go under deep cover on your enemy and completely destroy him without much effort. as if you are paying with map hacks on.

But I think that if you do loose all spies you should get a new one in like 5 years tops.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 16
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/22/2011 4:13:33 AM   
Ares106

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ares106

quote:

i think this is good, you shouldn't get more then 1 or 2 spies,

otherwise you can too easily go under deep cover on your enemy and completely destroy him without much effort. as if you are paying with map hacks on.

But I think that if you do loose all spies you should get a new one in like 5 years tops.

Ok i finally got an agent at random but it really did take about 15 years.

(in reply to Ares106)
Post #: 17
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/22/2011 5:54:28 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I am sorry Shark, that was so funny, I fell off of my chair laughing...
Here comes the big elections, and you want to get rid of Bozo the Clown, and then you end up with someone like Paris Hilton as a replacement.

Is it time for an uprising yet?

Well elections do have consequences...but why do those consequences always have to be bad?

And actually that would be an upgrade to the one I got. They didn't just scrape the bottom of the barrel, they took the bottom out of it and dug a hole 6 feet below where the barrel sat to find this guy.

< Message edited by Shark7 -- 12/22/2011 11:48:30 PM >

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 18
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/22/2011 7:01:31 AM   
jpwrunyan

I have never successfully gone deep cover nor have I ever had a spy level up cover skill. I have only had a max 20% bonus to cover in a spy from traits.

I also dont want a lot of spies because I dont want to manage them all. Especially if I have to send them on 50 stupid missions that dont matter just to level up their abilities. Give me one spy who can destroy a mining station in a years time and I am happy. Give me no spies or useless spies and I am less happy.

I agree, if you have no agent you should guaranteed get one within at most 5 years.

(in reply to Ares106)
Post #: 19
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/22/2011 10:13:57 AM   
2ndACR

If I could just restrict who become my leader. Hate when another race that is in my human empire become my leader. 

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 20
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/22/2011 3:11:29 PM   
llanite_slith

Just finished a long, low level conflict with the Dhayut. Peace is announced on the news services and I see a note that my main admiral picked up a new trait: drunk. Guess the victory celebrations were too much for him.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 21
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/22/2011 5:45:27 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: llanite

Just finished a long, low level conflict with the Dhayut. Peace is announced on the news services and I see a note that my main admiral picked up a new trait: drunk. Guess the victory celebrations were too much for him.

.....and this was just from a Low Level conflict! Poor Admiral!

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 12/22/2011 5:48:21 PM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to llanite_slith)
Post #: 22
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/22/2011 5:56:15 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

.....and this was just from a Low Level conflict! Poor Admiral!

We can only hope poor Emperor Palpatine has a similar problem after a time...

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 23
RE: Terrible Characters - 12/23/2011 3:19:39 AM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

Characters tend to get negative traits when the game thinks you have made tactical errors. You may have won the conflict, but if you lost a lot of ships doing so, the game may have penalized your admiral.

My admirals get good traits when I crush my opponents, but bad ones if I take losses.

I also have seen drunk come up when I surrender to an enemy empire to end a hopeless war.

(in reply to llanite_slith)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Terrible Characters Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI