Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game design purpose of derelict fleets?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Game design purpose of derelict fleets? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game design purpose of derelict fleets? - 12/6/2011 1:25:05 PM   
Keston

First, finding abandoned ships is fun, and the work of repairing most of them makes them not TOO easy to exploit. It's nice to have some surprises be positive. But there are a lot of derelict fleets out there.

Second, though, I feel guilty about exploiting them even if I don't actively hunt for them. In a slow tech game, they can be fairly powerful in either my or AI hands. So I pick up the lone abandoned ships from events, and for a fleet take one or two to use/retire and shoot up some of the rest. Now that I realize the resources they contain are valuable, I'll probably just retire them if resources look scarce.

So my question - what game design purposes do they serve?
Post #: 1
RE: Game design purpose of derelict fleets? - 12/6/2011 2:14:00 PM   
Canute0

These derelict fleets only appear when you enable the original story line. And at the end of the storyline you can find the Planet destroyer.

But the AI empires will exploid these derelict fleets too if they find them before you do.
And with just the beginning Const. Yard it takes ages to repair one ship.

But if you want give the AI empire an advance, let them start more expanded next time, while you start from the scratch.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 2
RE: Game design purpose of derelict fleets? - 12/6/2011 3:05:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Keston,

If you play the full original storyline and the Return of the Shakturi storyline to the end, you will find that a real need for those derelict fleets. With just the original storyline, they are fun and part of the background of the galaxy.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/6/2011 3:28:06 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 3
RE: Game design purpose of derelict fleets? - 12/6/2011 3:24:45 PM   
jpwrunyan

Are the derelicts there to begin with or does each location get spawned by the previous event?
I've only gotten as far as the ...

er, spoiler alert...

ok... I've only gotten as far as how they use the GK to get rid of the Shark. I actually thought that was the end for the original storyline. You can get to a planet killer in the original?!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Game design purpose of derelict fleets? - 12/6/2011 3:28:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

Everything is there from the start, they are just hard to find as the galaxy is a big place.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 5
RE: Game design purpose of derelict fleets? - 12/6/2011 3:39:35 PM   
Bingeling

Is the debris link to the Shak story the reason why I never see the Shak story play out? Apart from my very first shak game where I had an uninspired random game in a ring where I did not want to play on? I don't play with the original storyline because of those debris fields.

I got the stupid refugees in my current/last game, but I already won, I think I can whop anyone at anytime, and they are still sitting in a corner with 5k military strength being in wars while allied to the insects.

As for their 5k military strength, my 1st, 2nd and 3rd battle fleets got 9k each, so at the current time they are not impressive, and also still hiding.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Game design purpose of derelict fleets? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI