Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Silvermist, Pirates and reputation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Silvermist, Pirates and reputation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Silvermist, Pirates and reputation - 12/3/2011 1:22:09 AM   
MasterChief

Viewing DAS123’s “DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR” and I was impressed with the monumental struggle against the Silvermist. The question is, shouldn’t reputation get a significant boost for defeating Silvermist scourges? We get a rep. boost for clearing out pirates and the Silvermist is an even greater menace to the galaxy

Chief of the Watch... Over the 1MC, pass the word... "DIVE!" "DIVE!"... sound two blasts of the Diving Alarm ... and pass the word, "DIVE! "DIVE!"
Post #: 1
RE: Silvermist, Pirates and reputation - 12/3/2011 2:29:57 AM   
Nedrear

I agree... though the whole "pirate killing to boost rep" should have a cap at satisfactory. Meaning a bad empire can get neutral through that, but not noble.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to MasterChief)
Post #: 2
RE: Silvermist, Pirates and reputation - 12/3/2011 3:23:57 AM   
Fideach

I can't even remember the last time I saw an empire having a negative reputation. Worse I've seen is dubious, and that was myself after bombarding a few planets.

Think I'm going to go watch that AAR. I want to see how bad the silvermist gets. I've only encountered one so far.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 3
RE: Silvermist, Pirates and reputation - 12/3/2011 7:42:18 AM   
Keston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

I agree... though the whole "pirate killing to boost rep" should have a cap at satisfactory. Meaning a bad empire can get neutral through that, but not noble.

Seems too procrustean - I suggest diminishing returns as the overall bonus increases well above what reputation would otherwise be on the merits. Even an occasional good deed can be spun into good PR, but a major rehabilitation of reputation can only go so far for evil.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 4
RE: Silvermist, Pirates and reputation - 12/3/2011 7:52:36 AM   
feelotraveller

Seems like some self restraint is necessary. If you don't want the reputation boost don't go destroying pirate bases. Personally I feel that reputation gained through gifting etc. is dodgier than the pirate bonus. Either of them I can live with by not doing.

On the topic of the original post I'm happy enough with the Silvermist not giving a reputation boost. If we go that way will we get it for all creatures, including space slugs? If not, where to draw the line. I like the fact that the computer doesn't seem to recognise the severity of the Silvermist threat and in fact practically makes it worse by feeding it up. Forces the player to intervene, lose some ships, and maybe even lose the game... oh yeah, uh huh, give to me.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 5
RE: Silvermist, Pirates and reputation - 12/3/2011 10:10:40 AM   
BigWolfChris

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller
I like the fact that the computer doesn't seem to recognise the severity of the Silvermist threat and in fact practically makes it worse by feeding it up. Forces the player to intervene, lose some ships, and maybe even lose the game... oh yeah, uh huh, give to me.

Both agree and disagree with this
The extra challenge is good, but from what I've read, it can be common for Silvermist to cripple the AI to the point of actually winning the game for the player if they have already teched up enough to wipe it out

< Message edited by BigWolf -- 12/3/2011 10:14:21 AM >

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 6
RE: Silvermist, Pirates and reputation - 12/3/2011 10:39:57 AM   
Canute0

You only get reputation from destroying Pirate bases, and they are very easy to defeat. Add a Fighter bay and 2-3 extra shields to the stations and you dont even need patrols.

But a Silvermist is a danger for your colonies, and a fighter bay isn't enough to stop them. And the bad thing are, i think they warp to other system too.
Good think they arn't that hard to defeat IMO, a Carrier with 4+ fighter bays can do the job, just let the fighter stay out of the fight and let the fighter do the job.
Later you can design a fast ship with EMP and repair bot to do the job too.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 7
RE: Silvermist, Pirates and reputation - 12/3/2011 3:59:12 PM   
MasterChief

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

Seems like some self restraint is necessary. If you don't want the reputation boost don't go destroying pirate bases. Personally I feel that reputation gained through gifting etc. is dodgier than the pirate bonus. Either of them I can live with by not doing.

On the topic of the original post I'm happy enough with the Silvermist not giving a reputation boost. If we go that way will we get it for all creatures, including space slugs? If not, where to draw the line. I like the fact that the computer doesn't seem to recognise the severity of the Silvermist threat and in fact practically makes it worse by feeding it up. Forces the player to intervene, lose some ships, and maybe even lose the game... oh yeah, uh huh, give to me.

Agree to your first point. I don’t RP the pirate hunting crusader. I only swat pirates when they are interfering with an ally or me . If I get a rep. bonus for that, so be it. I also am a little skeptical of rep bonuses for gifts… Unless later patches allows for techs that can mitigate plagues; then you should receive a bonus for humanitarian (for lack of a better word… no offense attended to our other race families) efforts if you freely give the tech away .

I disagree on your second point. Silvermist is not a slug or kaltor that threatens an explorer or two (only if entering their extremely small territorial boundaries)… it is a space creature that has been bumped up to “event” status and rightly so. It can and will take down capital ships, bases and colonies and replicates to the point that if unchecked will spread and rid the galaxy of all life!! I would think that deserves a slightly stronger response from the societies populating said galaxy. Maybe even a pat on the back of anyone that eliminates this threat.

Love this game and as a side benefit the forum. There are some great personalities and debates here.

Chief of the Watch... Over the 1MC, pass the word... "DIVE!" "DIVE!"... sound two blasts of the Diving Alarm ... and pass the word, "DIVE! "DIVE!"

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Silvermist, Pirates and reputation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI