Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Economy Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Economy Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Economy Question - 12/2/2011 3:52:55 PM   
smcintyr11

Hi I am just learning the game. But basically my question is this. I keep losing money although I don't know why. Right now my State cash on hand is negative -15K, my state cashflow is +9K. My private cash on hand is 67K on my private cashflow is -52K. My cash on hand will seem to slowly improve sometimes making it to even and then it will suddenly drop 10-15K. I think I should be making money with a positive cash flow, but this appears to not be the case. I looked at the galactic encyclopedia and manual, but it didn't give me any answers. If someone could point me in a direction it would be helpful. Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Economy Question - 12/2/2011 4:01:29 PM   
cookie monster

You are losing money because your maintenance charges are too high

Retire some extra ships or troops, and see how your bank balance recovers

When you retire the ships you can rebuild them from the same parts later if your at the same space port

(in reply to smcintyr11)
Post #: 2
RE: Economy Question - 12/2/2011 4:26:51 PM   
smcintyr11

Do mining bases count towards these maintenance costs as well? If they do, right now I have my constructor ships automated and they have built many mining stations. It might be a better idea to manually control what mining stations are being created?

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 3
RE: Economy Question - 12/2/2011 4:27:48 PM   
MasterChief

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

You are losing money because your maintenance charges are too high

Retire some extra ships or troops, and see how your bank balance recovers

When you retire the ships you can rebuild them from the same parts later if your at the same space port

Interesting. I always assumed retiring a ship was the same thing as scraping it ... I better go back and read the galactopedia

So, from an economic standpoint is retiring similar to "moth balling" a ship. If not that would be a great addition. You could lay up your obsolete ships for a fraction of the maintenance cost and be able to call them up as a reserve in time of need (with an obvious cash dump to bring the ships fully on line again.)

Post #: 4
RE: Economy Question - 12/2/2011 4:32:35 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

Dam I never knew that,duh.

Post #: 5
RE: Economy Question - 12/2/2011 4:38:12 PM   
cookie monster

Check your empire screen and look at the totals of the maintenance charges

Remember your taxes plus resource trades make your profit, so mines are good

Ships and troops and space ports are charges

Although the space port does have a trade centre which generates income

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 6
RE: Economy Question - 12/2/2011 4:39:32 PM   
Cauldyth

Also, if you've authorized refits, the money doesn't get deducted for a particular ship until it actually arrives at port for the refit. I've had cases where I authorized large refits, and months later I was still getting hit by periodic massive deductions as the ships were still trickling in.

(in reply to smcintyr11)
Post #: 7
RE: Economy Question - 12/2/2011 4:47:30 PM   
Fideach

Mining stations, when it comes to having lots of them, from my experience are only profitable if you have trading partners to sell the excess resources too. Researching the commerce tech helps with making profit on trading as well.

I would suggest to scrap\retire any excess ships you don't need in the military and check your expansion planner and see what resources you have more then enough sources for. Then scrap some of those bases that you don't need and are in an area with excess of those resources.

You could also do what I did in my current game, playing a human military dictatorship. My large fleets and the fact everyone doesn't like me, keeps me in the red. But I fund it with rapid expansion, and selling off my lower tech to everyone. Even sold a few bases. Not the best practice, but can keep you afloat till your colonies catch up tax wise.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 8
RE: Economy Question - 12/2/2011 8:36:44 PM   
smcintyr11

Thank you for all the replies. It is definitely a learning process

(in reply to Fideach)
Post #: 9
RE: Economy Question - 12/3/2011 3:37:59 PM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

Dam I never knew that,duh.

I don't think that's how it works, exactly. Can't find a clear reference in the galactopedia, but pretty sure when you "retire" a ship you get the resources used to build it back, and they are stored at the colony/shipyard where decommissioned. So the components aren't sitting there, but the resources are now available for constructing future vessels.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 10
RE: Economy Question - 12/3/2011 5:06:01 PM   
Data

This is indeed how it works, have tested it some time ago.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 11
RE: Economy Question - 12/3/2011 5:14:25 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL:  the1sean
I don't think that's how it works, exactly. Can't find a clear reference in the galactopedia, but pretty sure when you "retire" a ship you get the resources used to build it back, and they are stored at the colony/shipyard where decommissioned. So the components aren't sitting there, but the resources are now available for constructing future vessels.

Indeed.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Economy Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI