From: Earth, Sol
I spawned a silvermist in the dhayut homesystem, they had about level 2 technology.
They were unable to stop it, even in their homesystem.
It started around their secondary colony in their homesystem. The dhayut homefleet jumped in. It brought it down to 150 health or so, but everytime it ate a ship of them, it grew, and its health grew with it (not only its max health).
Then it ate the secondary colony.
Another 2 dhayut fleets jumped in, one after the other was eaten, pushing it down to 500 health of now over 2000 max health.
There was hope when one of the ships was a carrier. The fighters posed a real problem for the silvermist. It seemed to try to eat one of the fighters, but those are quite fast, and it can only chase one at a time.
It was on the brink of destruction, but then it ate the carrier and all fighters disappeared.
It attacked the homeworld of the dhayut, little problems with the def bases, but again with the fighters.
As soon as it attacked the fighter holding spaceport, all the fighters disappeared and it eventually ate the homeworld.
There are some things to learn here:
1. The AI has the firepower to kill a silvermist early on, but squanders the power needlessly, even in the homesystem.
2. Fighters are good against the silvermist, until the fighters disappear without good cause...
3. If a silvermist reaches max size (1500, with 4200+ health), it can not get stronger by eating stuff (it does not regenerate by eating stuff).
4. It doesnt seem to split until it regains full health, and the regeneration rate is fixed.
5. It doesnt seem to regenerate when at hyperspeed.
6. The player needs to get involved, have resupply-ships and a fleet ready for intervention.
7. Fighters are nice, but keep the carriers out of trouble. Since fighters are immune to area weapons, that could also be a nice combination (emp area weapons, normal ones are not very effective vs silvermist).
8. If the silvermist has maxed out its growth, even single suicide ships can prevent it from splitting and wear it down, even though they get eaten.
< Message edited by Locarnus -- 12/4/2011 11:59:52 PM >