Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Free Trade Agreement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Free Trade Agreement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Free Trade Agreement - 12/1/2011 10:42:43 PM   
Locarnus

Why do AI empires refuse to ente a Free Trade Agreement with me?

I m humanoid, thy are insect for example, or haakonish or wekkarus or whatever. We share trade with each other (eg 3/4 of their trade are with me), we have positive relations (eg +20 or better), I have an ultra rare ressource and am willing to trade it with them.
They still refusing to enter an FTA with me, which would give them quite a boost.

Thats plain stupid of the AI...

DW:U BalanceMod v0.9 (extended TechTree)
compatible with DW:U Extended, StarTrek and XPanded

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3624576
Post #: 1
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/1/2011 10:45:39 PM   
ASHBERY76

It is roleplaying A.I.

If you want generic A.I's you can mod the races text and make them all the same if you want.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 12/1/2011 10:47:54 PM >

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 2
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/1/2011 10:50:14 PM   
RooksBailey

I've had the same problem.  Good relationship, good trade, but the AI won't agree to a FTA on my urging, but it WILL offer the same treaty back to me at some point.  In fact, a campaign back or so, I offered a FTA and the AI refused.  Then a second later, it offered the same treaty to me!  

Seems a bit quirky. 

< Message edited by RooksBailey -- 12/1/2011 10:52:09 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 3
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/1/2011 10:52:23 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: RooksBailey

I've had the same problem.  Good relationship, good trade, but the AI won't agree to a FTA on my urging, but it WILL counter-offer the same treaty back to me.  In fact, a campaign back or so, I offered a FTA and the AI refused.  Then a second later, it offered the same treaty to me!  

Seems a bit quirky. 

No as I said it is roleplaying the race type.You can change it all pretty easy.

Dhayut
'Friendliness: friendliness level (normal = 100). This factor influences likelihood of forming treaties with other empires and general interaction with other empires
Friendliness ;65

(in reply to RooksBailey)
Post #: 4
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/1/2011 10:53:51 PM   
RooksBailey

Yeah, but that doesn't seem to explain why it would refuse my offer of a FTA but a literal second later it offers me the same treaty.  

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/1/2011 10:54:06 PM   
Locarnus

How is that roleplaying?

Is it hardcoded that they will never enter a fta with me, or do I just have to bribe them into oblivion for it to happen?

edit: Or rephrased, how does the "65 friendliness" work?

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 12/1/2011 10:55:08 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 6
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/1/2011 10:58:17 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: RooksBailey

Yeah, but that doesn't seem to explain why it would refuse my offer of a FTA but a literal second later it offers me the same treaty.  

Maybe it had flagged 'treaty on table' when you offered even though the box hadn't popped up yet.

Or maybe there is a potential bonus (for diplomatic characters) for the empire offering the treaty.

Or...

(in reply to RooksBailey)
Post #: 7
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/1/2011 10:58:59 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Locarnus

How is that roleplaying?

Is it hardcoded that they will never enter a fta with me, or do I just have to bribe them into oblivion for it to happen?

edit: Or rephrased, how does the "65 friendliness" work?

If you want easy treatys like you get with the atuuk it would be

'Friendliness: friendliness level (normal = 100). This factor influences likelihood of forming treaties with other empires and general interaction with other empires
Friendliness ;138

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 8
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/1/2011 11:15:07 PM   
Canute0

+20 relationship isn't allways enough for a Free trade, try to get a bit more and the AI will offer the free trade to you.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 9
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/2/2011 12:44:16 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

It's never impossible to get agreements with the AI, but sometimes you have to work harder for it than you normally would in a 4x game. Which i find quite refreshing.

For example, I started a game as the Gizureans on a small-ish map, and wound up sharing a cluster with the Zenox. They didn't even ask questions, they just declared war "We naturally dislike you -19"

Of course, I took their only fresh colony, and blew up all their ships, and forced them into subjegation and slavery. I met a Zenox empire later in the game who also attacked me on sight, because by then I had a pretty significant slavery relations penalty.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 10
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/2/2011 12:58:09 AM   
Keston

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

Or maybe there is a potential bonus (for diplomatic characters) for the empire offering the treaty.

In diplomacy who gets the credit and political positioning issues are important (in other social contexts as well), though one would expect the other side to at least wait a week or so before proposing THEIR new idea.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 11
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/2/2011 2:20:40 AM   
WoodMan

In Legends I seem to recall a new feature being that diplomacy is planned ahead by the AI.  If its an untrusty race, maybe it won't sign a treaty with you because that would boost your economy, and ultimately it plans to stab you in the back.

Edit: But more likely +20 isn't enough for an unfriendly race to sign.

quote:

Thats plain stupid of the AI...

Actually not signing treaty with everyone who asks is not stupid. It would be more intelligent to to sign treaties with those who are no threat and no competition to you. Signing treaties with the other superpowers may benefit your economy, but it might benefit theirs more, especially if they have a rare resource.

The ideal situation would be to find which of the other superpowers who might challenge you for victory is having a spot of bother with another superpower, refuse to trade with them but trade with their rival. You've isolated their economy, now if war breaks out between the two its time to strike. Of course the AI doesn't think like this, but my point is its only beneficial to sign a treaty with someone who:
a) isn't a threat or rival, (I'm not talking about your relationship, but their relative power compared to yours)
b) won't benefit more from the treaty than you

< Message edited by WoodMan -- 12/2/2011 2:42:55 AM >

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 12
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/2/2011 6:55:41 AM   
J HG T

I've actually had AI empire suggest MDP with about +20 relationship. AIs tendency for treaties varies more in Legends and honestly makes much more sense most of the time.
It was way too easy to spam FTAs and MDPs pre legends if you knew what you were doing. I personally like it how it is now.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 13
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/2/2011 4:41:38 PM   
MasterChief

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

I've actually had AI empire suggest MDP with about +20 relationship. AIs tendency for treaties varies more in Legends and honestly makes much more sense most of the time.
It was way too easy to spam FTAs and MDPs pre legends if you knew what you were doing. I personally like it how it is now.

Agree... seems more realistic to me. EXCEPT... I am puzzled when my neighbor, who I have a FTA with, refuses a MDP with me even though they are getting thier butts kicked in a war.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 14
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/2/2011 4:42:21 PM   
Locarnus

I m at 55+ relations now, still they refuse the fta...

Their homeworld got hit by disasters, they should take any help/income they get, if they were halfway intelligent...
Considering my trade with them was 400k+ and they have an ultra rare as well as me, that would bring their income back...

Its like "No, we will rather die of starvation than to have a mutually benefitial treaty with you, because we dont like you". A race that stupid would be extinct before it travels to the stars...

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 15
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/2/2011 4:47:40 PM   
ASHBERY76

I am happy that you cannot manipulate the whole galaxy to your agenda with ease like you could in DW pre Legends.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 16
RE: Free Trade Agreement - 12/2/2011 5:04:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Locarnus,

If you see something that doesn't make sense, feel free to upload a save file for us and we'll investigate.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Free Trade Agreement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI