Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SilverMist Spawning Grounds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> SilverMist Spawning Grounds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 2:07:21 AM   
Cauldyth

Some fool of an AI unleashed a SilverMist on the other side of the galaxy and failed to contain it. Now it and its offspring are slowly but surely eating their way through that region of the galaxy. The AIs keep trying to colonize the area, which just keeps feeding them. Too funny. I keep the colonizable planet overlay turned on, so I can see the spread of the infestation as the number of colonizable planets spreads.

Which raises the question: can the AI properly deal with SilverMist? This outbreak did happen in a part of the galaxy where there was no strong empire, so maybe that's why it got out of hand.
Post #: 1
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 2:12:59 AM   
Erik Rutins

Aha, you are facing the worst case scenario for the Silvermist. The AI can absolutely deal with the Silvermist, but if whoever releases it fails to deal with it, it can become a problem larger than a single empire can deal with. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 2
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 2:23:24 AM   
Simulation01

That's awesome!

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 2:44:24 AM   
Cauldyth

Hah, sweet!

Edit: And to top it off, my advisers keep pushing me to colonize those planets. Clearly they haven't been reading the news.

< Message edited by Cauldyth -- 11/27/2011 2:52:03 AM >

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 4
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 5:57:57 AM   
Shadowsage

Is there any way to force spawn a SilverMist in the game editor or with console commands?

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 5
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 9:17:44 AM   
cookie monster

Yes just add the Silver Mist via the editor

(in reply to Shadowsage)
Post #: 6
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 9:39:24 AM   
James009

I've only seen one reported Silvermist in my galaxy/game. Luckily, its kinda distant from everyone but still near my borders. Should I be concerned?

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 7
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 9:41:41 AM   
Data

No, not at all. Actually the guy that proposed this creature wanted it as a pet......so it's a pleasure to have it around
Joking aside this one is like the space eel in MOO2, if you ignore it for too long it will spam it's offsprings all over you.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to James009)
Post #: 8
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 11:01:04 AM   
Canute0

Ohh yeah a silvermist pet, you definitiv never need to clean your room anymore!! :-))
If you can train the silvermist, you maybe have some furniture left so you can enjoy the clean rooms :-)

My colony ship released a silvermist while it colonize a planet. Sure the Silvermist ate the colony and the first defender who i send to it.
I saw i got 3 silvermist there after a while.
i send a mixed fleet with 1 carrier and 5 fast cruiser . I didn't check the silvermist help entry but i was lucky these Cruiser got EMP weapons by default, unlucky it was 1.700 and EMP didn't hurt them.
So i notice Fighter are the best way to kill a silvermist. The Fighter are fast enough to dodge the silvermist and they prevent the Silvermist to go after the carrier itself so long the carrier stay out of combat (Evade).
But it looks like the Silvermist allready spread over the neightbour systems too. After i finished these 3 silvermist at the system i wanted the colony, and founded the colony again a 3. time (the 2. one ate another silvermist), i got encounter message from my explorer and private ships with silvermist.
Anytime i got these is send one of my Carrier to that system to wait for a Silvermist or i needed that carrier for other duties.
After a long while, i dont got any Silvermist encounter anymore.

Silvermist the Galactic Plaque !!

P.S. i think Silvermist shoul be immun to Railgun/Massdriver/missiels weapons !

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 9
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 1:12:02 PM   
Nedrear

Immune to missile weapons? You might shot through a cloud, but using an atomar bomb in a cloud is not healthy for it.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 10
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 1:32:25 PM   
w1p

I'm far too wary of them, the instant I see one I send in several ships and don't stop till their all dead. Genuinely scary if you think about it, accidentally leaving them unchecked and the next thing you know there's 3000 of them chewing through your systems!

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 11
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 1:40:30 PM   
Bingeling

I sent a battle fleet (10 ship+) when I found them and knew where they were. They took them down with old fashioned blasters and missiles just fine. I would not try with a 4 ship fleet, tough. They took time to kill, and managed to eat a single ship of a battle fleet just fine while I killed them. I don't think I allowed them to grow much either, even if both of them ate a fresh colony.

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 12
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 2:41:32 PM   
Canute0

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

Immune to missile weapons? You might shot through a cloud, but using an atomar bomb in a cloud is not healthy for it.

quote:

What is the reason for a Bomb7missiel to explode ?
- close range or impact detonator, but how that works on a cloud ? Yeah you maybe could calibrate or construct a scanner to detect the cloud to work with that, but that would need a anti-Silvermist weapon research tree.
- time based detonator, that would work but not very prakticable.
- manual remove control detonator, that could work, if the cloud can't block the detonation transmission.

If the bomb don't detonate in the right time, the cloud just would eat it. Thats why i think all physical weapons shouldn't harm the Silvermist, just Energy weapons.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 13
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 2:54:27 PM   
Cauldyth

I definitely make sure the wipe them out when I encounter them near me. Unfortunately, this one was on the far side of the galaxy and I was locked in one of my many recurring wars with the lousy Gizureans next door. As a result, I couldn't justify diverting a fleet for the long trip to clean out the area. On the bright side, I'm currently #3 in the victory conditions, and the SilverMist will have to eat through #1 and #2 before it gets to me. I can then declare victory, just before promptly evacuating the galaxy.

On a more serious note, I wish there were a way of flagging certain systems as quarantined. I leave 99% of my fleets automated, and the AI keeps sending lone cruisers into the area, which promptly get eaten. My advisers also keep pushing me to colonize those systems.

I'd envision quarantining as having two effects on the AI:
- do not send ships to the quarantined systems
- do not consider the quarantined systems for colonization

It seems like prior to Legends this feature wouldn't have been useful, but the SilverMist alone is enough to justify it. And on that note, kudos to Wizz for the great creature concept!

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 14
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 3:04:09 PM   
MasterChief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

I definitely make sure the wipe them out when I encounter them near me. Unfortunately, this one was on the far side of the galaxy and I was locked in one of my many recurring wars with the lousy Gizureans next door. As a result, I couldn't justify diverting a fleet for the long trip to clean out the area. On the bright side, I'm currently #3 in the victory conditions, and the SilverMist will have to eat through #1 and #2 before it gets to me. I can then declare victory, just before promptly evacuating the galaxy.

On a more serious note, I wish there were a way of flagging certain systems as quarantined. I leave 99% of my fleets automated, and the AI keeps sending lone cruisers into the area, which promptly get eaten. My advisers also keep pushing me to colonize those systems.

I'd envision quarantining as having two effects on the AI:
- do not send ships to the quarantined systems
- do not consider the quarantined systems for colonization

It seems like prior to Legends this feature wouldn't have been useful, but the SilverMist alone is enough to justify it. And on that note, kudos to Wizz for the great creature concept!

Quarantining plague systems or sectors might be useful also. You could also use the diplomatic venues to advise your allies to avoid systems you have quarantined.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 15
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 3:26:31 PM   
Nedrear

A projectile is always dangerous, especially if used in counterdirection to the target. Try to stop a 1000km/h bullet while driving with 200 km/h in its direction. The impact is 1200km/h.
Therefore the Mist first needs to let it through, adjust the direction and while cruising with it eat it away. Until then the time detonator makes a bad "boom". And yes you can calibrate a distance and set it onto a missile very easily today... space nations should be rather bored by this princip. And if all fails a proximity explosion will stop every chewing on the bomb beforehand. The blast is big enough.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to MasterChief)
Post #: 16
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 3:29:44 PM   
Locarnus

It would be very nice if you could flag a system as to be under a "common danger".

Then all the green relation empires (trade treaty) and the blue alliance ones could send detachments to deal with that common danger, maybe temporarily granting those task forces refueling rights.

Of course given the ai, it could maybe just sent fuel in the form of single ships to the silvermist...

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 11/27/2011 3:30:37 PM >

(in reply to MasterChief)
Post #: 17
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 9:44:43 PM   
Sithuk

The quarantine system idea is superb. It would help with the pirate base infested systems too.

Is there a popup to confirm that the last silvermist has been destroyed? I've take out 3 or 4 and the prospect of micromanaging a fifteen system patrol is a little daunting.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 18
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/27/2011 9:45:48 PM   
Cauldyth

I don't think there's any indication the last one has been killed, no.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 19
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/28/2011 10:47:29 PM   
balto

In one of my battles (20+ hours, not joking), I am killing everybody. I use it as my practice game. I have the Death Ray, all the wonders, etc.., I knew there were Silvermists in the Northeast quadrant of the galazy for a long time, I just let them go because not much was there for me. I sent three of my best fleets up there, all were beaten back/killed. Each fleet had a carrier, 7 destroyers, and 2 troop transports all with tons of fire power and shields. When I fought them, the Ancient Guardians helped, but they too were wiped out. I sent another three Fleets with even more updated weapons (I think each fleet easily had 5000 firepower, I can't remember). The Guardians came again, all were wiped out. I was watching the whole time, they just kept popping up. So I am unsure if anyone else has seen this, but this was sort of over the top. I am just leaving them there. I take it this is a fluke.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 20
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/28/2011 11:10:46 PM   
Locarnus

@balto:

Well, if you keep feeding them, they of course will multiply

Do you equip your fleets with ion weapons? 5000 firepower is a lot. What weapons are you using?

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 21
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/29/2011 2:59:02 AM   
Cauldyth

Keep in mind that by design they are resistant to all weapons exception Ion Cannons. Also keep in mind that the release version has a bug that makes them completely immune to Ion Cannons. That combination makes them pretty nasty.

Make sure you've grabbed the public beta patch of 1.7.0.1, which fixes the bug.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 22
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/29/2011 3:37:45 AM   
balto

Each Fleet had 5000. My techs are at the top of the food chain. As far as Ions, I have one on each ship. I was unsure if the Ion effect was duplicative so I just use one. I am sorry, I just read the Galactopedia, I see the Ion thing v Silvermist. Thanks

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 23
RE: SilverMist Spawning Grounds - 11/29/2011 5:04:53 AM   
bigbaba

oh boy this nasty little baby ruined my game nearly. i had just 2 colonies and found a friendly independant colony. sent a fleet with a colony ship there, got a colony and starbase for free and then guess what?

it enterd my system and destroyed not only my whole fleet but also the starbase and the planets population.

one day is payback day.:)

realy nice concept and a massive upgrade to the former DW monsters which were not that destructive.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> SilverMist Spawning Grounds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI