Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Damaged, Out of Fuel ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Damaged, Out of Fuel ships Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Damaged, Out of Fuel ships - 11/11/2011 5:36:40 AM   
balto

When you get a message on this, it says to send a Constructor ship to fix this? The only way I see how to do this is to remember where the ship is at, then find a Constructor Ship using those buttons, then when I find the Constructor Ship, I then have to scroll where I believe the broken ship is, then click on it. This takes forever. Is there a better way?
Post #: 1
RE: Damaged, Out of Fuel ships - 11/11/2011 9:14:47 AM   
Bingeling

Yes. Either scrap it, or hope some AI constructor pics it up.

Apart from that? Not that I am aware of. You can of course locate the broken ship in the ship list too.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 2
RE: Damaged, Out of Fuel ships - 11/11/2011 10:12:26 AM   
Canute0

find the damage ship with the "no mission" button.
then find a free constructor over the Ship window, use Select button but not the goto button. close the window.
You should still see the damaged ship, and now you can use the constructor to repair it.

But mosttimes ist more effektiv to scap the ship, unlike its a valueable or unique ship.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Damaged, Out of Fuel ships - 11/11/2011 10:40:22 AM   
Bingeling

Hm. "Valuable or unique ship". That would be my overpowered alien capital in early game, yes

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 4
RE: Damaged, Out of Fuel ships - 11/11/2011 2:58:48 PM   
Canute0

When it is overpowered, how it could be damaged ? :-)

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 5
RE: Damaged, Out of Fuel ships - 11/11/2011 3:37:03 PM   
Bingeling

Have you even played this game?

A powerful alien cruiser can be killed easily, but is not easily replaced. That is with low tech, during which times a single alien cruiser can have the firepower of a rather large destroyer fleet. Or two rather large destroyer fleets.

Powerful ships tend to do dangerous work. Like spaceport busting.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 6
RE: Damaged, Out of Fuel ships - 11/12/2011 2:23:00 AM   
balto

I think how it should work is when you see the message for the damaged ship, and you click that message, and you see the damaged ship.., you can than go to the Empire Navigation Tool and go through the Constructors. When you have the constructor you want, you than click on it, and it will then appear in the Selection Panel, and there is a button that says "Repair the damaged ship you are looking at right now..," something like that.

I am not explaining this well, but the Main Screen Interface does not work great. For example, (1) the Empire Navigation Tool and the Selection Panel should remain functional no matter what window you have up; (2) despite what it says, the Selection Panel frequently takes you right to the unit.., it should never go to the unit(s) unless you specifically click a field in it that will take you there; the Empire Navigation Tool and the Selection Panel need to work better together without affecting the Main Screen. For example, the Constructor situation, or any similar one, you should be able to go back and forth with Empire Nav Tool and the Selection Panel without affecting the main screen.., and with this, the Selection Panel should have more buttons.. ,like, "Attack the Alien Ship on your main screen, fix the ship on your main screen, land troops at the planet that is on your main screen.., etc"

Also, the button that allows you to find the nearest military unit.., it should also allow you to click again to find the next nearest, and the next, etc.., and ping it on the map so you can see what is the best thing to do instead of pausing the game and figuring out the best thing to do.

I am not a good writer.., but I know what I am seeing and I have seen all the features I have mentioned in other games.., just not sure which game(s) because I have so many (like we all do).

Anyway, this game is interesting and well done, but the micromanagement stuff is bother me because it appears to be able to fixed very easily with some interface enhancements.

< Message edited by balto -- 11/12/2011 2:24:17 AM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 7
RE: Damaged, Out of Fuel ships - 11/12/2011 8:36:38 AM   
Bingeling

There are two things to selecting and looking.

1: Where the camera is centered. In your case, this is near the damaged ship.
2: What is selected. This is not necessarily your damaged ship.

When you enter the ship list you can see by the little map inside where your current selected ship is. You want a nearby constructor, not a constructor on the other side of the galaxy. Selecting a ship won't move the camera. There are however ways to center the camera on the selected ship. Some button in the ship list probably does this (go to ship). And clicking the selected info down left will center the camera. This last one is very possible to do.

So what should work, without testing...
1: Look at your damaged ship.
2: Enter ship list.
3: Filter and look through your constructors until you find a nearby one.
4: With the constructor still selected, exit expansion planner
5: Ctrl-right click your damage ship and say something like "queue next mission: repair ship".

This way the constructor will finish the current mission first. If you are in a great hurry, just say repair ship and let the current construction project of the constructor be abandoned in a half finished state.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Damaged, Out of Fuel ships Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI