Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tuggin at my heartstrings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tuggin at my heartstrings Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/11/2011 4:45:10 AM   
Byeohazard

Close to paypalin this sucker a few times. I am curious what the general consensus is of Distant Worlds. I know this probably isnt the least biased place to ask but perhaps if you know a little about me and the games I enjoy I can put together some of your thoughts to make a decision.
I just bought AI War and as much good stuff as I have heard about that one It is pretty far away from "hookin" me and reelin me in. I supose Im just not feeling much attraction or emotional endearment to the units.....graphics generaly are not too important to me but for some reason I feel like I'm controling a bunch of nats......Im not giving up on it though. The units seem a little more familiar in Distant Worlds...they seem like something I can get attatched to so that is part of the atraction. I like the atmosphere of master of Orion 2 more than Gal Civ 2 although I would say both are excellent games. From what I can tell this game is like a much more complex MoO2?? I have read some user reviews over on Gamespot and they were really mixed...some high scores..lots of low scores. For a game like this however..I believe it is more of niche game that may not attract alot of more casual folk or people that need a high level of grahic detail or streamlined play. Another game I really got hooked on is X3 Terran Conflict and that game is very niche...lots of people dont care to put in the time to learn it as it is pretty unweildy to the uninitiated....I put a good 100 hrs into and was still learning and enjoying it...then the computer took a dump....back to the drawing board. How does Distant Worlds play as far as UI? I have gotten a little overwhelmed with number crunching in a few games...Gal Civ took some time..how does this game compare in terms of controling the ecconomy and running a empire? Is it unwieldy or fairly easy to understand.........
I look foreward to hearing back!
Post #: 1
RE: Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/11/2011 5:31:32 AM   
HectorOfTroy

Mate, all I can say that the universe in this game always feels alive and that is not that you can say about any other 4X game.

Being a RTS rather then TBS, combined with private sector ships, pirates, random events, monsters, shipwrecks, abandoned spaceports, ancient evil/good empires that show up, independent planets, your planets becoming independent makes this game feel very alive (plus we will be getting characters as well -admirals, spies, governors).

Plus there are like 20 races too choose from or play against.

I reckon just that is a reason enough to buy.

And then you can get into ship/spaceport design, diplomacy, warfare, economy.

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 2
RE: Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/11/2011 6:55:29 AM   
Byeohazard

Thanks so much for the info. I was't aware of thos e aspects to the game Hector! Atmosphere is definetly a factor and a living world adds to that. Looking foreward to hearing from others..be it challenges the game seeks to overcome or particular things it does very well..I'm interested in hearing about them. The game has been out fopr a while now so I am sure it has developed along the way.

< Message edited by Byeohazard -- 11/11/2011 6:56:06 AM >

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 3
RE: Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/11/2011 12:10:41 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Byeohazard

Thanks so much for the info. I was't aware of thos e aspects to the game Hector! Atmosphere is definetly a factor and a living world adds to that. Looking foreward to hearing from others..be it challenges the game seeks to overcome or particular things it does very well..I'm interested in hearing about them. The game has been out fopr a while now so I am sure it has developed along the way.

Distant Worlds is a lot like a choose your own adventure book, after you get good at it. A lot of the challenge comes from figurinh out how to challenge yourself after you've mastered most of the other parts of the game.

Luckily, i've yet to get that good. It still takes some effort to build an empire, and I'm still more than capable of losing wars.

Oh! And there's an expansion coming out, that seems like itmay well be one of the largest and most detailed expansions for a 4x Game, well.. ever.

Certainly I think the game is worth buying. I also am a fan of MoO2 and GalCiv2. GalCiv is probably the one 4x game that has the least in common with this one. GalCiv was very dry, and spread-sheety. On the other hand, it did a great job of keeping you on your toes. Not an easy game, IMO. If you're one of those types who was able to beat the GalCiv2 AI on Hard without breaking a sweat, there may be no hope for you, because DW is certainly easier than that!

That little caveat aside, I think you'd probably enjoy the game. I'd recommend buying the original DW and messing around with it for awhile, and if you like the conceps then get the expansion, too. The original DW has some pesky interface issues,and those are fixed in the Return of the Shakturi expansion (and apparently further refined in the upcoming Legends expansion); however you should be able to tell whether it's worth buying all the expansions based on a play-through of the original.

Welcome to DW!

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 4
RE: Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/11/2011 12:26:28 PM   
Bingeling

Not every game fits every person, I have bought games that I have hardly played, and that other people rave about. But I love Distant Worlds, and I believe one can have fun on many different levels. The pausable real time system feels very much like Europa Universalis in space. Relaxed.

I would not buy right now, but rather look at what kind of deals show up when Legends launch in a few weeks. A package price may compare well to for instance DW+Shakturi, but I don't have any kind of info on pricing, of course. The entry of characters seems like it could very well add some heartstring tugging features. Nursing your fleet admiral, and being scared when his ship takes damage .

As for those games you mention. I have not played any of them...

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 5
RE: Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/11/2011 12:35:55 PM   
WoodMan

Agree with what the others have stated above, especially the atmosphere and galaxy feeling alive part.   Also, there are one hell of a lot of ways you can set up the game, the way you play it might be totally different to the way I do, its good in that way, I like it slooooow and biiiiiig and thanks to the options available I can have it that way.

One thing that is key to remember about Distant Worlds is that it gets better and better over time.  The mixed reviews are probably because they were playing and reviewing the release version of Distant Worlds (unpatched), which I never tried but I have heard bad things about it even from the dedicated followers here who have nothing but praise to heap upon the game in its current state, (that includes me).

With the above in mind if you buy Distant Worlds expect a great experience, but RotS improves it greatly, and it looks as if Legends is going to do the same again.  If you try the original and like it you will love the first expansion and probably the second which is looking like it will live up to its name (it's gonna be legendary).   You have a choice of buying the original to see what you think, or splashing out on all three (hopefully there will be a trilogy option) later this month.  I can't advise either way there, but just do something, you're missing out!!!

< Message edited by WoodMan -- 11/11/2011 12:36:23 PM >

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/11/2011 1:08:13 PM   
Data

quote:

Also, there are one hell of a lot of ways you can set up the game, the way you play it might be totally different to the way I do, its good in that way, I like it slooooow and biiiiiig and thanks to the options available I can have it that way.

Same here, most epic and immersive game evaaaa...

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 7
RE: Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/11/2011 1:57:51 PM   
Farrels

As said above, Distant Worlds plays a lot like EU3. If you like the pace of that game and you like 4X space games then chances are you will enjoy distant worlds. As the game is pausable it can be played at a relaxed pace, and once you get over the (quite steep) learning curve then you never feel completely overwhelmed.

In terms of features, Distant Worlds has all the usual 4X flavours, ship design, diplomacy, a nice big tech tree, lots of different races to play. What really makes it a classic of the genre though IMO is te immersive universe that it creates, space creatures lurk in isolated systems, pirates frequently attack your empire, vast trading networks are created and freighters ply them. Seriously you can just spend a lot of time watching the day to day goings of your empire. Once youve witnessed this its hard to play SOTS, gal civ etc as these games just dont have the same level of immersion.

Finally, as the game is SP only a word on the AI - its okay but once you have mastered the mechanics then the computer is quite easy to beat - there are ways to make it harder but i for one hope that legends will improve this

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 8
RE: Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/12/2011 10:34:16 AM   
feelotraveller

Ditto to all the above praise.

Oh, and there are resources - 19 strategic ones (used to build stuff) and 22 luxury ones, used to improve your economy. I'd swap all of the above for these alone.

(in reply to Farrels)
Post #: 9
RE: Tuggin at my heartstrings - 11/13/2011 6:25:35 AM   
Byeohazard

Thanks for all the great responses...I have been checking back here every so often to see what folks have to say.
If I were to summarize would it be fair to say that Distant Worlds brings a vast universe that feels alive to the player. Alsd that it has more "charm" than Gal Civ 2 (which i know is a very "smart" well made game..but I also felt is lacked some in personality). It seems also fair to say that Distant Worlds is detailed..lots of resources and planet/ship buildig to play with. The only negative I am taking away from what I have seen here is that the AI becomes fairly predictable but that this may be ironed out a bit in the next expansion. It also gather that the game has infact become a better experience over time due to suppor from the developer. One of the critisisms I have heard elsewhere is that the "automation" of your empire isn't quite as effective as it could be. Is it maybe too effective (game plays itself) or maybe too boneheaded (makes critical mistakes). I am guessing this may have been tweaked for the better over time.
Thanks again.....standing by!! Im definetly leaning to wards "buy" but wanting to see what Legends brings to the table.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tuggin at my heartstrings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI