Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Spaceports are NECESSARY!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Spaceports are NECESSARY! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spaceports are NECESSARY! - 11/3/2011 4:42:03 PM   
Jeeves

Some other threads discuss spaceports as though they are a burden. Spaceports are your CASH COW! They are the only way to get money out of the civilian economy besides taxes. I tax low so that my civilians have LOTS of money to buy ships. They generally run out of money before they run out of spaceports to build ships at. So if you are looking at the civilian balance sheet with envy, and wishing that you could tax your citizens more, slack off! Spend your tax pittance to buy spaceports with extra yards and suck that money right out of the civilian's pockets... Oh yeah, I just remembered, civilians also pay for mines completed by your constructors, but that barely pays maintenance for the constructors...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Post #: 1
RE: Spaceports are NECESSARY! - 11/3/2011 4:57:53 PM   
feelotraveller

All for spaceport love.

I don't understand why you would not build at least a minimal spaceport (=weaponless/defenseless medical and recreational centre) at every colony. I think that maybe the spaceport deniers try to build death stars fit for wiping out an enemy fleet!

I'm not sure if I have this right but I thought that you (=empire) paid for mines and then were reimbursed by the private sector? I've never checked it to be sure but it seemed to explain some/most of the bounces in cash reserves (money being subtracted at start of the construction and repaid at the end?).

Spaceports also, and importantly, reduce the travel time for freighters who will often take goods from mining bases to the nearest spaceport.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 2
RE: Spaceports are NECESSARY! - 11/3/2011 5:11:48 PM   
Data

Yap, all valid points but I don't know of anyone that considers them a burden.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 3
RE: Spaceports are NECESSARY! - 11/3/2011 6:19:25 PM   
Nedrear

Everyone said you do not need big spaceports everwhere. Nobody said anything against a colony spaceport with two yards and one plant of everything as well as medicine and recreation with commerce and cargo bay. That is fine! But as you pay for a spaceport and the colony is not grown up yet it will eat away your income by not beeing profitable. Do not build big super heavy armored spaceports at outer rim colonies.

Furthermore your mines are always paid for by the private sector. Therefore think twice what these ships really need. Don't blow them up by putting in dozens of extractors. Your industrie can't eat that much without beeing overblown itself, draining the private sector and therefore your colony revenue. And yes you pay for the build up of a mining station or extractor and the privates are using it, financing you by bying your ships in return.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: Spaceports are NECESSARY! - 11/25/2011 4:20:04 PM   
balto

If you create Research via individual research stations (you should), watch your research caps. Once you are a little above the caps (which should happen right away as this is a number one priority), mod your Spaceport designs by Removing the Research labs. It makes the SPs cheaper and less maintenance. Heck, offset this cost savings by tossing in an Ion Cannon and Ion Protection!
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Spaceports are NECESSARY! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI