Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finding and moving the Big Guns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Finding and moving the Big Guns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finding and moving the Big Guns - 11/2/2011 1:50:54 AM   
wadortch

Hello WITE people.
I have read in various AAR's that it is possible to move heavy guns to points of siege (Sevastopol, for example, being a prime location for such deployment).
My question--how is this done?
I have used the Commander's report to display German artillery units. This display does not show the caliber of the guns in the units.
I use this same report to identify German equipment types (including the massive Karl mortar).
So, the question is--how do I find out where Karl is and once found, how do I move him to an HQ near Sevatopol?

Walt
Post #: 1
RE: Finding and moving the Big Guns - 11/2/2011 3:43:54 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'd like to hear about the answers to that myself.

(in reply to wadortch)
Post #: 2
RE: Finding and moving the Big Guns - 11/2/2011 4:06:59 AM   
NotOneStepBack

Not sure about the German side, but the Soviets have a "heavy mortar battalion" which I moved from certain units for sieges. X Army --> STAVKA --> Needed Army is how I did it. Probably similar for the german side. As for finding the gun, it might have to be a manual search...

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Finding and moving the Big Guns - 11/2/2011 5:20:29 AM   
JAMiAM

Unfortunately, except for the "named" (Theodore and Karl) gun battalions and batteries, there is no way to tell merely from looking at the CR listing. So, if you want to sift out the 210mm Howitzer battalions, you will have to do a bit of tedious rooting about, looking at the TOE for the individual battalions, and then shifting them upward to higher level HQs. I like to send them to OKH whenever possible, because once there, they can be pulled to any subordinate HQ on the map.

The 210mm Howitzer battalions are the M18 battalions, as shown in the screenshot below. If you have a subordinate HQ selected, you can choose to assign from the higher level HQ where you have the guns parked, and then select the particular type gun for the job. Likewise, the named guns will appear distinctively, so you can easily select them.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 11/2/2011 5:21:32 AM >

(in reply to NotOneStepBack)
Post #: 4
RE: Finding and moving the Big Guns - 11/2/2011 7:13:11 AM   
JKLilly

I've been able to do it by going to the production screen. If you filter with labels, there is a Heavy Artillery subsection. Right column lists the number of units with that equipment. Click on that and you'll get a list of units, you can then move them.

(in reply to wadortch)
Post #: 5
RE: Finding and moving the Big Guns - 11/2/2011 8:31:43 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: jklilly

I've been able to do it by going to the production screen. If you filter with labels, there is a Heavy Artillery subsection. Right column lists the number of units with that equipment. Click on that and you'll get a list of units, you can then move them.

Great idea! Thanks.

(in reply to JKLilly)
Post #: 6
RE: Finding and moving the Big Guns - 11/2/2011 3:51:03 PM   
wadortch

Great tips.
Thank you!

Walt

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 7
RE: Finding and moving the Big Guns - 11/2/2011 4:19:53 PM   
Balou

Somehow schedule of the "Karl" unit(s) partially confusing:

turn 3: withdrawl of 1/833 and 2/833 Batt
turn 49: arrival of 3/833 Batt
turn 58: withdrawl of 3/833 Batt

So far so clear, but:

turn 61: arrival of 628 Karl Siege Mortar Battery
turn 99: arrival of 'Karl' Karl Siege Mortar Battery (yes, that's how it is listed)

A second full battery ? or just renamed ?

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 8
RE: Finding and moving the Big Guns - 11/2/2011 7:32:18 PM   
Q-Ball

There are a handful of 280mm equipped "Heavy Howitzer" Battalions that are easy to find, as they are labelled "Heavy Howitzer". There are 3 I think. IIRC, all of them start in VII Corps. Send to OKH, then next turn back down to subordinate Corps.

Another way is to sort from the Production Screen; click on number of units next to 210mm, then you will get a list of units filtered to 210mm. Start moving those.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Finding and moving the Big Guns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI