Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR... German allowed?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> AAR... German allowed? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR... German allowed? - 10/29/2011 3:55:33 PM   
Nedrear

In general the topic revolves around it's title... strange how the world works.

Can a story in the official AAR section be written in German or does it have to be in English? For I am able to write in both languages the narrative compound might be limited in another language as is the grammar. Therefore if it is absolutely impossible I might write it on my own homepage for those interested.

Preview to the AAR:

As RotS is not available in Germany yet, I like hard discs instead of downloads and the shipping of the English version is not in my interest it will be based on the old engine. Nontheless it will become a intermingling RPG story of characters influenced by each other and their empire. For that I mod the map names with the editor and change the starting stats of humans to another character (Smart 0, Egoistic 15, Careful 25, Friendly 25, Neutral 0) and open up ocean planets and a Trade-Empire to them. The main change will be the birth rate reduced to 3,5% for a more logical growth of the empire and to make colonies count. That will prevent the spam on every planet as the income will come in much later. A colony therefore will become an investment to be considered careful as it needs protection.

The story itself starts with the great failure of the planned planetary republic of Juned and how the trading empire came to be in its wake. After that it will start with the main story and characters.

Read you later!

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Post #: 1
RE: AAR... German allowed? - 10/29/2011 4:19:29 PM   
WoodMan

Your English seems perfect from the post above 

Audience might be limited if its in German, not sure how many German players DW has, let alone AAR readers. 

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 2
RE: AAR... German allowed? - 10/29/2011 4:39:04 PM   
Nedrear

I never said it will be forbidden to translate it further on. The translation would only need to credit me as the author while taking the credit to translate for himself.
The main point is the use of language in a text. Sure I can write simple sentences or offer my thoughts about content with limited grammar issues. That aside the figure of speech would be a waste for the story. I would be unable to build up metaphors or such things as I am not immersed in the language of the reading people.

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 3
RE: AAR... German allowed? - 10/29/2011 5:03:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Nedrear,

German is certainly allowed, as long as you follow the forum rules. As the previous poster pointed out, it may limit your audience in one regard but you may also pick up a few readers that the English AARs are missing!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 4
RE: AAR... German allowed? - 10/29/2011 5:07:19 PM   
Nedrear

Now that I got official approval I will start, though by "single" demand, I might add an English version to the text as such. Though I am sure the quality of the result will suffer.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: AAR... German allowed? - 10/29/2011 6:32:59 PM   
WoodMan

Well I take a look at the AAR's every now and then, so I'll give it a read (the English version if it's available).  From your first post you sound like a good story teller, so I hope I can read it 

By the way, don't forget people like pictures to go along with the story, massive blocks of text can scare people

Also, you are missing out on a lot by not having RotS (and soon Legends), if you have a CD burner, or even a dedicated USB flash pen you can make as many hard copies of your game as you like!

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 6
RE: AAR... German allowed? - 10/29/2011 7:01:27 PM   
Nedrear

I know I miss a lot... especially with legends. Though I am unsure if my "student account" can purchase games in the far off world. Well I got a Pay Pal account...

As the Prologue is only connected to the starting area which always can be described differently I might try to get RotS today or tomorrow before I start it. Since the game text file will be replaced the whole game will switch to English, that is for sure. Not that the German version was pefectly German anyway. Actually the grammar sucked.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 7
RE: AAR... German allowed? - 10/29/2011 8:03:20 PM   
WoodMan

quote:

I might try to get RotS today or tomorrow before I start it.

I think there will be a Christmas sale in a few weeks

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 8
RE: AAR... German allowed? - 10/30/2011 9:33:18 AM   
Data

WoooooooooodMaaaaaaan, we will hold you to that

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> AAR... German allowed? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI