Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions about Arty and the AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Questions about Arty and the AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions about Arty and the AI - 10/21/2011 4:26:07 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Hi all,

Work has allowed me more time to get to know this game and I have been playing the Hoffen-Ho Down scenario.

Initially, I have only been giving orders to the 3 maneuver units and leaving all of the Arty units in place with what ever they are set to at the default.

I reserve for my use the 2 15+cm batteries and the 21cm mortal (1110 I think). I leave all else alone.

So as my different plans have unfolded I began to notice that very little of the other arty units, other than the ones withint the maneuver units them selves, seemed to be firing. Once in a while the AI would use one or two, but I have never noticed one of the Nebelwerfer units firing unless I directly ordered it to do so (and then reattached it). So I am doing something wrong as there is a lot of HE lying about unspent and my line units are the worse for wear.

Advice or suggestions?

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
Post #: 1
RE: Questions about Arty and the AI - 10/21/2011 5:24:13 PM   
Lieste

The Nebelwerfers are tricky - the short range makes it hard to use them for counter-battery or CCC/Supply interdiction, plus the intermittent firing makes it hard to strike moving targets reliably.

They are effective when they land - which makes them great for supporting an assault, but the enormous impact pattern makes it difficult to spot for them - by the time your assaulters can see dug-in infantry in towns, you are too close to fire the mission in support.
The trick is to use all 4 Bn to suppress/neutralise the entire objective area immediately prior to the first wave jumping off, repeating if you have time/space. The AI won't get this right most of the time. In more open ground you will see the AI using the heavy artillery more often, but it does seem weak when dealing with known 'strongpoints' with unknown defender positions...

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions about Arty and the AI - 10/21/2011 5:34:46 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Hi Lieste,

I have been trying not to control Arty too much directly, but from your explanation it seems like in this case it is justified.

My next big challenge is trying to time the bombardments better.  I am still learning mow much time it take to cover ground, so my barrages often are far too early.

Thanks,

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions about Arty and the AI - 10/21/2011 5:47:43 PM   
Lieste

You can always pause the game once the troops have started forming up (to get all the timer controls working correctly), then set the artillery to fire at low rate for 1-2 hours each covering the whole area... subtle as a brick, but it works - keep back some for counterbattery, and let the Bn work their own mortars...

You don't have to get the timing 'right' if the barrage is long - the lift should occur as troops reach it (unless avoid friendlies is disabled), and with low rate the expenditure needn't be excessive. It can help 'topping up' suppression once or twice with high-rate weapons (such as the NW), as a few batteries firing at low rate might not have enough oomph to do the job alone... but they will keep the pressure up on a shaken target nicely.

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Questions about Arty and the AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI