Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Not getting independant bonus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Not getting independant bonus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not getting independant bonus - 10/16/2011 5:22:01 PM   
Stormy Fairweather

Trying to understand how the bonuses for absorbing independant races work. I set up an ocean planet with Quameno (4 million) to see if that would allow me to colonize ocean planets or get the tech boost they give. I got not stat boost, and could not colonize ocean planets, although that might be due to the fact the planet does not yet have a space port.

After reading around here a little bit I learned that you only get bonus for alien populations after 10 million, so using the editor I jumped the pop to 14 million, but still saw no bonus. What would explain that? Shouldn't I get the bonus after that, or does the pop have to be over 10 million when you absorb them to get anything? That makes no sense, as I understand there is another level of bonus gained after 2 billion, and I really don't want to have to wait to absorb nations until they grow big enough to give you the full bonus.

Thanks.

Aside - This is the greatest space game I have ever played, if it could zoom/scroll smoother it would be perfect. I wonder what is up with the gas clouds/nebula, they seem to cause mroe lag than anything else, but I can see nothing about them that seems particularily demanding.
Post #: 1
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/16/2011 5:50:30 PM   
J HG T

About bonuses:
Some of the race specific bonuses only apply when that race is your selected one. The Quamenos tech bonus is prime example; You won't get this tech bonus if you absorb independent or other empires quamenos. Bonuses that you get are planet specific bonuses, like Securans and Zenoxs happiness bonus or Boskaras and Mortalens war tolerance bonus.
In short: You get bonuses that affect single planet from absorbed races, but you only get empire wide bonuses if you have chosen that race.
Hopefully that made sense.

Yeah, the nebulaes and clouds are resource hogs for some reason, I turn them 'cause of that. Hopefully they get fixed in Legends.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 10/16/2011 5:54:14 PM >

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Stormy Fairweather)
Post #: 2
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/16/2011 5:52:20 PM   
Stormy Fairweather

Are you certain of that? In another game I played I absorbed a small independant nation and got an empire wide reduction in ship maintanence costs. And in several games I saw numerous added bonuses from different races listed under several other empires in the diplomacy screen

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 3
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/16/2011 5:58:02 PM   
J HG T

That's actually correct. Now that I think of it, you get empire wide bonuses but the population of the corresponding race must be quite large in your empire before the bonuses start to apply. It's explained in Galactopedia but I don't remember the exact numbers.
I need to start up the game, play and check these things up.
Only thing I can say for certain is that you get the empire wide bonuses when the population of that race gets large enough.
I stand corrected about that.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 10/16/2011 5:59:59 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/16/2011 6:20:23 PM   
Stormy Fairweather

I read here it was 10 million, which is why I am stumped, as I said I have such a colony but I am getting nothing special from it. The only unusual thing I can think of is that I had made it via the editor, but that shouldn't matter, should it?

Perhaps I misread the number, or the person who said it was wrong. Gonna look around a little more I guess.

As to the nebula clouds, if I were to guess I think the image that is used is a very high resolution even when zoomed out so it is only just visible. The problem might be circumvented by using lower resolution images the more zoomed out you are, and only becoming higher resolution as you zoom in. I am almost certain that is how the planets were done.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 5
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/16/2011 6:34:27 PM   
J HG T

There's a delay on some things in DW. The bonuses from population might be one of these things. I'd say increase the population by 10 mil. at a time, let the game go on for a while and see if the bonuses show up.
The empire wide bonuses definetly should work; In my current game my trade partners, Haakonish, have 4% research bonus 'cause of the immigrants from my Quameno empire.

Post #: 6
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/16/2011 6:38:13 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stormy Fairweather

Aside - This is the greatest space game I have ever played, if it could zoom/scroll smoother it would be perfect. I wonder what is up with the gas clouds/nebula, they seem to cause mroe lag than anything else, but I can see nothing about them that seems particularily demanding.

It's certainly a great game. Not sure I can rank it above MOO2 (yet) but it sure is getting close. Maybe the expansion will do it? Have to see how they handle characters. The other things I sorely miss are EP's for ships and race customisation on setup. On the other hand I love the resources and the granularity of different stellar bodies.

I found turning the zoom and scroll settings down (mine are at about 1/3) helped with the view 'jumping'. Your computers performance may differ but this could smooth them out and once you get used to it you don't notice any loss in speed.

Post #: 7
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/17/2011 4:30:23 PM   
Stormy Fairweather

Well, using the editor, I jumped the population of Quameno to over a billion in my human empire, and I still got no bonus for them, nor was I able to colonize their homeworld type. I also had a population of those little rat dudes, and I boosted thier pop in the same manner over a billion, then waited a few minutes and I got no bonus from them either.

Is there some extra requirements for getting the bonuses of alien populations? Or is it the use of the editor itself that precludes it? Which would bug the hell outta me, as I have been trying to use the editor to understand that particular mechanic so when I start my next game I know how to empower my empire better.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 8
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/17/2011 5:48:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Stormy,

What version of the game are you running?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/17/2011 5:59:53 PM   
ehsumrell1

Hello again Stormy Fairweather. In addition to what J GH T mentioned, remember that if you
use the game editor to 'tweak' things in your game universe, you also would need to look
inside the 'races.txt' file in the DW main directory at the settings for the race you are
modifying. In the races file, Reproduction rate, Research Bonuses, Trade bonuses and two
types of Tech Focuses are set for each race. Using the editor, it is my belief that more
than one conflict can be created between how races react that can skew the numbers (math).
Although I can't say for certain, I'm willing to bet that might be what you're seeing
happen. Hope this helps!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Post #: 10
RE: Not getting independant bonus - 10/17/2011 7:08:36 PM   
Stormy Fairweather

I am using 1.5.0.1 with the expansion. The updater tells me I am fully up-to-date. Edit - I just downloaded the 1.5.0.8 patch separately, and when I went to install it it says I am already up-to-date, but the title screen stills says 1.5.0.1.

Basicly, all I did was use the in-game editor to put a nuetral population of Quameno on an ocean planet (I understand that is their home type) and when I colonized it the game seemed to treat them the exact same as my own race; I didn't get the bonus from them, nor was I able to use them to colonize other ocean worlds. Now if I was wrong about their homewold type being ocean then I can see how that could interefere with using that colony to build ships to colonize the Quameno homeworld type, but it doesn't explain why when I gain no bonus from them, even after boosting the pop quite high (I had read elsewhere there were pop requirements for getting said bonuses)

I have gotten small bonuses from several races I absorbed, but as far as I recall none of those bonuses ever increased, although I have yet to play a game to completion so perhaps I simply didn't reach the required populations.

< Message edited by Stormy Fairweather -- 10/17/2011 11:27:39 PM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Not getting independant bonus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI