Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapting to new PCs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapting to new PCs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapting t... - 10/6/2011 4:57:25 AM   
Genosse

Hey,

I have the Matrix versions of Tiller's World at War collection, American Civil War and Napoleonic Battlegrounds. My first question is, are there any plans in the works for Matrix to release Battleground: Ardennes in a form that works on newer windows OS, similar to the above Tiller series?

My second question is, I have a legally-bought CD version of Battleground: Ardennes (not deluxe, I don't think) from back in the day. Assuming Matrix doesn't release an updated version of Ardennes for modern Windows, can anyone help me adapt the old game to a modern computer, or is there a community somewhere online that deals with this? I have windows 7, 64 bit version, which BG: Ardennes definitely didn't like when I tried to install it. Thank You.
Post #: 1
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/6/2011 6:14:04 AM   
planner 3

When you say "Old version" do yoiu mean DOS or XP ?

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to Genosse)
Post #: 2
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/6/2011 6:23:54 AM   
Genosse

It's a CD ROM, from probably around 1995-96, and back when I got it we must have had Windows 95, maybe 98, so no, not DOS but well before XP.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 3
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/6/2011 11:02:55 AM   
Phatguy

Have you tried running it in emulation mode?

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to Genosse)
Post #: 4
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/6/2011 11:52:46 AM   
TonyAAA

FWIW, 64-bit OSs are incompatible with 16-bit Windows apps like the original Battleground games.

If memory serves Tiller released some 32-bit executables that should allow most(all?) of the old Battleground titles to run on 64-bit Vista/7.

Not sure where to find them but they must be on the web somewhere.

< Message edited by Tony_A -- 10/6/2011 11:55:00 AM >

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 5
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/6/2011 6:22:48 PM   
Nikel

Yes, cannot run 16 bits applications in a 64 bits OS

32 bits updates for battleground games are in this link, but there is no version for Ardennes, I guess it was never released

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~tiller/32bitupdates.htm

You could do the following to run these games in a modern PC:

- Install the game in a 32 bits OS PC

- Update the game, including the 32 bits patches

- Copy the game folder in a USB stick.

- Paste in your new 64 bits computer. The game is now 32 bits and should tun in a 64 bits PC.

So the only solution for Ardennes should be this

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Or a dual boot, Windows XP/7

(in reply to TonyAAA)
Post #: 6
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/6/2011 6:56:42 PM   
Genosse

Is that last link what Apathetic was talking about with emulation mode? I have no experience with that type of thing, anyone have a link to a good tutorial?

Thanks for the input so far.

(in reply to Nikel)
Post #: 7
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/6/2011 7:34:44 PM   
Nikel

Not sure, I suppose he was referring to compatibility mode? The installer are 16 bits applications and won't run in W7 64 bits

With Windows XP mode you will be able to run Windows XP 32 bits inside Windows 7 64 bits, like a console mode, then you can install and run the games that are 16 bits.

Also note that W7 pro or ultimate is needed

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

If you do not have them, in patches scrolls you can find the 16 bits updates for Ardennes, just search for that word. The last are 1.34, not 2.x like the 32 bits above

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

Note that there are versions for UK, US and for a Bulge Ardennes Gold

(in reply to Genosse)
Post #: 8
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/7/2011 5:32:28 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Genosse
I have windows 7, 64 bit version, which BG: Ardennes definitely didn't like when I tried to install it. Thank You.

Battles from the Bulge likes it though. Why waste time with a relic?

(in reply to Genosse)
Post #: 9
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/7/2011 7:52:02 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Genosse,

We are not currently planning to re-do Battleground: Ardennes, sorry.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 10
RE: Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapti... - 10/7/2011 10:38:44 PM   
Perturabo

I remember enjoying the demo of it when I was a kid. Too bad that the demo can't be run on Wine.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Battleground: Ardennes - Matrix version, and adapting to new PCs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI