Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/10/2011 11:39:28 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Man, you've been awfully successful in southern China. I don't know how you guys do so well in China....

My opponent decided to vacate most of this area when I started bombing the scattered corps in any clear hex they moved into. He only left the units in Wenchow, which is holding out well, but must be nearly out of supply as the fields are not being fixed.

What is becoming difficult is finding a good line for attacking his forested hexes around Kweilin, Liuchow and Nanning. I'm moving units around out of sight to get between Nanning and Liuchow, hopefully by surprise unless sigint rats me out.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 181
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/11/2011 12:06:15 AM   
obvert

21 Jan 1942

DEI: The small Dutch air raids continue. This one hit malacca going afte the resources. A few 139s came in with 2 buffalos and a few Do-24K-1. Our CAP from Johore covered slightly, so 4 Oscar 1a went out to meet them. They shot down both fighters but didn't have much left to hit the bombers and only damaged 2 of them.

At Singapore AV is at 3480. We're bombarding tomorrow. If the ratio looks good, we'll attack the next day again.

PI: We bombarded at Clark but the numbers look the same as during the first attack. About 1150 to 750 AV. No US units here, only PA. Time to try again.

China: Our surprise Betty attack on Lanchow went off like a charm. No opposition, 21 hits on the field, 7 SB-III destroyed on the ground. Just in case he brings the kitchen sink to defend this, all attacks tommorrow will hit new spots other than the usual round of Sallies over Nanning. We'll be hitting Anking to slow fort building there, a Massive raid on Changsha with 3 sweeps scheduled as well. One small group will hit Wenchow to destroy supply.

S PAC: The KB is in full view apparently, but we're going to hit Tahiti if we've come all of this way. Dan said in his email that all ships moved back east, but there is still an anchor symbol on the port. We're sending the AV we have hiding far to the south edge of the map to see if he really did go for the worm hole or not. If not, it will be wiped out.

The vacuum gets bigger in the South Pacific. I'm leaning toward sending small fast transports with 15 AV SNLFs all over the place to get little islands for intel purposes and just to be annoying. There isn't anything down here to stop them so why not? Pick a few off near Fiji, near Pago Pago, the ones above NZ, and just a few more. Should be fun if nothing else.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/11/2011 12:10:28 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 182
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/11/2011 11:13:57 AM   
obvert

Remembrance Day

It's Remembrance Day today (Poppy Day, or Veterans Day in the US). At our school we had 2 minutes of silence at 11AM. It is always very moving to me when this happens.

Once I was on break in a coastal town, Bournemouth, during the ceremony on this day. It was one of the most incredible moments of human collective emotion I've been a part of, watching the old men in uniform walk past, the young children with their bright red poppies on, the mournful and haunting brass band that played in the town square, and the general feeling of the community coming together there in silence. The commemoration and the honouring of men who fought, civilians who lost their lives, and beautiful things destroyed is much more poignant in England than in the town where I am from, Portland, OR. Although many left and did not come back to these towns in the states, and the parades and ceremonies are still moving, there is something different about realizing these people are remembering the sounds of real air sirens and bombs hitting their own neighborhoods. Loss is difficult everywhere, I just feel it more strongly here.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 183
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/11/2011 12:00:53 PM   
obvert

22 Jan 1942

This was a very fun turn to watch all around as several long developed plans came to at least minor fruition. S PAC is getting interesting.

DEI: The bombardment at Singapore came off infinitely better than expected. We had 180 casualties (2 destroyed 12 disabled) while the Allies had 393 casualties (7 destroyed 30 disabled with 1 unit destroyed!). This should soften things up. The question is, keep on with this for a few more turns, as he must have a lot of disabled troops there and we have an obvious advantage in guns, or head right in for a deliberate attack? Either way it's looking good here now.

Bombing continued surprisingly at Mallaca, but this time we exchanged an Oscar 1a for a B-339. No registered hits though. Next turn just to ensure wiping out these pests if they return 12 crack Oscar 1c will be on CAP.

We bombed both Batavia and Soerabaja with no CAP up, and had good results from 10,000 ft. The 38th Div and the 5th Guards Rgt are heading into Soerabaja. If for nothing else just to see what we'll be up against here and start wearing them down.

PI: At Clark our deliberate attack came in at 1 to 2 but dropped the forts to 1 and had even casualties. One small PA unit destroyed. A few more turns waiting and we'll go again. The damage has gone down to 22 on the airfield, so I bet the unit moved in was engineers. We'll have to make another run here with the IJAAF.

Cagayan forces are in position and will deliberate attack tomorrow. We have 512AV here now which should be about double the number of Allied AV.

China: Coordination was not good today, but we caught a break as no CAP was present anywhere. Changsha, Henyang, Nanning, Anking, and Wenchow were all hit successfully, as well as hitting the northern ground troops. All major air bases in Central China now have between 20-80 field damage. I've been reconning extensively and keeping up on this, so we keep hitting the base that begins to heal up. This must be getting into the supply stores by now, as well as all of the movement and fort building he's been doing. I haven't seen any listing of forts rising in China on Op reports though, so maybe this is working better than expected.

At Wenchow our attack came out at 1 to 1, with even casualties. This is great as forts went to 0 and we can just keep going now. Once we break through here this will free up 3 Divs for work against Nanning-Liuchow. A long walk though so we want to get started. If Singapore falls soon we'd like a chunk of those troops to head that way as well. The goal is that in about a month game time a large force will barrel into Nanning unexpectedly and overwhelm the forces there quickly. At the same time a force will attempt to move into Liuchow and cut rail so reinforcement will have to walk in from Kweilin. If this can be achieved, it could trap a large portion of the Chinese troops in Central China where I want them. I don't think they'll be able to mount any offensives due to supply issues, air supremacy and rising forts at all of our current bases in the area. We do have a good sized defensive reserve in the area as well and the ability to quickly rail in more from the north.

S PAC: So I've been wondering if this whole operation is worth it. Apparently it is turning out to be at least a minor positive. We hit Tahiti and the 3 merchies he set outside it to deflect attacks. These and an AM went to the bottom. We hit one DD in the port, but 6 (!) are listed here. Not sure why the fast ships stayed around. We're 5 hexes out now which means we can zoom around to the other side of the port. Now, if he sends out a SCTF this could explain why he left them there. A few DDs will detach and try to thwart any forays toward the KB. Although he doesn't know where we will go and probably thinks we don't have much fuel left. We're at 139/43 for fuel, as our homebase is Canton Island, which has several AKEs and a tanker force enroute. With Kates on 9 hex search (8 attack) at 5,000 ft we should get at least some good hits on the DDs wherever they end up. We'll put all float planes on night search. Is it worth it to put some Kates on night attack as well, with only 20% moon, or is this asking for lots of ops losses and no hits?

He may assume we will go for the LARGE TF we just found skirting the lower edge of the map. Jakes from the AV hit a DD and an xAK, sinking the xAK. Ten ships are listed in the mouseover: AMC AMC AMC AM DD AP AP AP AK AK. Now this is more what we were looking for! The SCTF of 2 CA 1 CL and 3 DDs will move from 13 hexes away to attack in the area, although I'm sure some scattering will occur. They still have 100% torps and 85% gun ammo with good amounts of fuel. With over 20 jakes and Alfs in the area, we should be able to hit lone transports and find the rest for the surface ships to crush. Our AV with it's CL and DD will move to the east 3 hexes to keep a watch on fleeing that way and possible CV incursions if the US CVs are still around. The best part is that he can't really commit them if he's smart, as he doesn't know if the KB can keep steaming out here and get to them.

Another AMC 25 hexes west near south NZ will move east to make sure nothing gets out this way without being seen at least, and that there are not other TFs using this portion of the map. A SCTF from Rabaul will move down to Noumea in order to be ready to react into the area.

The most interesting part of all of this was Dan's email suggesting that I wouldn't find much more than a few transports in the area as he'd moved everything else back. Now I know he is using this communication to try to blow smoke up my a** and that I can't really take what he says without quite a few grains of salt. Not that I would expect any less, but it brings to mind the earlier note on OZ, where he indicated not much was there so I shouldn't bother. Recon has shown this may indeed be true. Still, I'm going to look closely anytime I get one of these notes in email about current ops and see if there might be some deflection going on.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 184
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/14/2011 10:33:34 AM   
obvert

Worried

After a weekend trip to Bath and Somerset I arrived back thinking a turn would be waiting for me. Nothing was in my inbox from my opponent, so I sent a message mentioning that I was back and ready to resume.

Still I've heard nothing. It's only been a short time, several days, but it's very unlike Dan not to let me know if he was not going to send a turn. Not only am I worried about the game, I worried something happened to him. It's strange to have this relationship on a daily basis with someone, developing a mutual respect and a working understanding of how to go through this process with each other, and now suddenly I don't even know how to check if he is okay.

So, the game and the AAR are on hold for the moment. I am hoping for a note soon to let me know he is alright.

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/14/2011 2:02:14 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 185
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/14/2011 6:36:06 PM   
obvert

On hold

So I just received a message that Dan is indeed in the hospital and is not able to send a message himself. It sounds serious but in the note he said to carry on without him.

It's hard to mention any more about the game now as I'm just very concerned for him and hope he does recover from whatever is happening. You definitely form a bond of respect with an opponent like Dan, but I felt a certain admiration as well. I know he had a procedure just when we started the game and he was playing several days later using only one hand as the other was in a sling. I've loved our ability to adjust to each other's tactics and give some surprise and cause problems for the other. I know he hasn't been on the forums as much as other players, but when he did comment it's often taught me something else I didn't know about the game.

It's odd not knowing this man I've communicated with every day for over a month, but my thoughts are with him right now. If I learn anything else I'll post it, and after a few days I'll decide whether to try to begin another game right away.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 186
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/14/2011 9:16:59 PM   
zuluhour

subscribed. I abandoned another for here, easy and fun to follow.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 187
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/14/2011 10:17:30 PM   
princep01

Very sorry to hear about Dan's ailment and hope for a speedy recovery and return to the game.

obvert, you were asking about how he "saw" the KB while it was well to the west of Tahiti. There is a small ground unit on an island about 15-20 hexes west of Tahiti (or at least one starts there). The island is Ratoonga or something like that. That ground unit has 2 aviation support and I'd bet you anything he had a Cat detachment there snooping your ships. You never spotted them, but they saw you. Anyway, that is my guess on how that happened.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 188
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/14/2011 10:53:51 PM   
obvert

quote:

Very sorry to hear about Dan's ailment and hope for a speedy recovery and return to the game.

obvert, you were asking about how he "saw" the KB while it was well to the west of Tahiti. There is a small ground unit on an island about 15-20 hexes west of Tahiti (or at least one starts there). The island is Ratoonga or something like that. That ground unit has 2 aviation support and I'd bet you anything he had a Cat detachment there snooping your ships. You never spotted them, but they saw you. Anyway, that is my guess on how that happened.

princep, you're absolutely right. I completely missed that. The AVD I took out was near there as well so maybe he was bringing in more.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 189
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/14/2011 11:02:28 PM   
PaxMondo

Dang, me too. Completely overlooked that unit.

+1 on Dan's recovery .....

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 190
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/15/2011 11:15:08 PM   
zuluhour

Wow, I read up to post 44 when I skipped to the end to tell you I was enjoying your AAR. Sorry to hear (above). My opponent, Terry, in Canada and I have spoken on the phone, cheery sort and I would'nt mind sharing a pint with him someday. I hope Dan recovers soon and returns to the fray.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 191
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/16/2011 9:43:28 AM   
obvert

Zuluhour, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the first portion. I have really enjoyed writing this and trying to understand the game on another level, plus getting some good feedback.

Yes, I feel really badly for Dan, and I tried to get an address where I could send him something in the mail to give him some support. Sadly, the friend who sent the first message and seemed to be managing his emails hasn't responded again. So I'm a bit in the dark until I hear more.

New Game

As a way to continue on, JocMeister and I have decided to start a game. He was just about to start a game as Allies against Dan when he fell ill. It will be Scen 1 with me as Japan and Jocke playing the Allies.

I have really been itching to play the Allied side since I started this PBEM with Dan. I love the challenge of playing Japan and managing the more complex economy and the strategic and tactical concerns of the game, but my first attraction to this conflict from my childhood involved Corsairs and Fletchers and Shermans. I also live in England now and have been attracted to all of the odd planes and interesting ships in the British forces since playing AE and visiting various war museums and collections here in the UK.

However, because this seems like the right thing to do, and because Jocke seems like a challenging opponent with a similar view on the game, I will be clicking away trying to get a first turn ready for the Japanese using Scen 1. I am already finding it much different than Scen 2, and this will require a complete re-working of strategy and tactics. A challenge. Any advice will be much appreciated.

So, I will continue this game if Dan is able, but I will in the meantime be starting with JocMeister by the end of the week and creating a new AAR for that one. Please stop in and help as I will need it!

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/16/2011 9:48:25 AM >

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 192
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/16/2011 11:32:32 AM   
PaxMondo

Continued best wishes to Dan.  Good luck in your new game.  Scen 1 as IJ is MUCH more challenging.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 193
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/16/2011 11:38:18 AM   
obvert

quote:

Continued best wishes to Dan.  Good luck in your new game.  Scen 1 as IJ is MUCH more challenging.

Pax

Thanks Pax. Yes, I'm getting that feeling about Scen 1. I need to open a test game and really get used to the OOB before even getting my first turn set, but I'll start the new AAR later today and start asking for LOTS of advice.

Hope to see you over there.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 194
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/16/2011 11:40:11 AM   
Erkki

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Pax

Thanks Pax. Yes, I'm getting that feeling about Scen 1. I need to open a test game and really get used to the OOB before even getting my first turn set, but I'll start the new AAR later today and start asking for LOTS of advice.

Have you considered DBB? In a way its even more challenging with the much better Allied AAA, next to useless Japanese depth charges among other things... And of course unchanged 4Es and about double the number of PT boats and equivalents.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 195
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/16/2011 12:23:41 PM   
obvert

quote:

Have you considered DBB? In a way its even more challenging with the much better Allied AAA, next to useless Japanese depth charges among other things... And of course unchanged 4Es and about double the number of PT boats and equivalents.

Not sure that's much of a trade for a nice pretty big map and more realistic logistics! No, I'll settle for Scen 1 and do my best, hoping to better my early war tactics and not lose several CAs in the early going!

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 196
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/16/2011 1:14:00 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Pax

There's a few differences in the opening, but not much. The real changes impact you in early '42. Much tighter on supply, so you have to really watch your economy. You have to get your convoys up and running that much sooner, and you can't expand your factories like you can in Scen 2. And of course you effectively lose the Shinano ... a big loss to you in '43.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 197
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/16/2011 5:24:07 PM   
Jzanes

I hope your opponent's illness isn't too bad and it's too bad your game has come to an end. On the other hand, a new start will help you avoid some of the hard knocks you suffered in the early part of this match. I think we all struggle during our first PBEM games. Actually, I'm still learning things years into playing PBEM.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 198
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 11/17/2011 1:03:23 PM   
obvert

Yes, I plan to change quite a bit. Although I have felt daunted by starting again and so soon after doing it once, at least the mistakes are fresh in my mind. I'm getting back into it and getting excited to see what I can improve.

Also, I just got Tracker functioning, which I think will be necessary in Scen 1 especially.

Hope you stop by the new AAR as well.

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 199
RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) v... - 1/6/2012 9:35:01 AM   
obvert

Game over

Sadly this game will not be continued. After Dan has gotten healthy enough to contemplate playing again he decided to start a new game instead of going on with this one. I completely understand. He is a very good and very precise player, and I think he didn't like having to go on knowing he hadn't played his best in the beginning. And I surely hadn't either. I hope he picks up another game as I will be first cheerleader and supporter in the peanut gallery.

We agreed to exchange passwords and view the other side of things, which is very gracious of him and really helps me learn about how the game develops on each side. I will not reveal any of his displacements or plans here as he may want to try similar things in the future. I will say that I was in for a tough second half of 42.

This may lead me to start a campaign as Allies at some point in the near future. I've been eager to do this but wanted to make sure I didn't overextend myself. We'll see. Right now my current game is very stimulating and we're flipping turns pretty fast, so it's keeping me more than busy.

< Message edited by obvert -- 2/4/2012 3:58:43 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI