Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battle of Nancy AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Battle of Nancy AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/20/2011 11:35:45 PM   
sweeteye

Figured I would start a thread for my initial test of the scenario.Here are the initial starting positions. I will report back after I have played a couple of days of the scenario.....
Here are the starting positions with the new OOB. Many more units now and should be a much better scenario. All I have left to do is recalculate the personnel strengths and adjust the victory points.

Deleted the screens of starting positions for intelligence reasons.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 10/5/2011 9:37:28 PM >

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

Post #: 1
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/21/2011 4:14:21 PM   
Pawsy

Looks good

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 2
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/21/2011 5:29:46 PM   
sweeteye

Thanks starbuck...I feel much better about the scenario now that the OOB is adjusted. I am ready to start playing the scenario....been looking forward to playing the game some for a while now. I noticed the scenario starts off slowly because it starts at 00:00 hours and the units seem to be at rest...probably should have started it at 05:00 or 06:00....

Headquarters Company

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 3
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/21/2011 6:07:26 PM   
Lieste

You can also use 'short-running' low/nil points objectives to kick-start the AI, if you want a night/evening start.

eg one that starts at Scn start, ends 4-5 hours later with enough time/distance to 'work', but only with a prompt start and no sleeping...

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 4
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/21/2011 8:38:33 PM   
sweeteye

Have pretty much finished the first day. The day comprised of mostly movement towards the front and I was able to use double and triple game time speed to hasten things along.

The first shelling began around Toul at about 17:30

Advanced CCB towards Toul to support the 319th regiments attack.

Moved the 317th regiment and CCA to the northeast heading for Port-a-Mousson.

Holding the 318th regiment in reserve west of Toul.

The German AI seem to be maintaining their defensive positions which is what I have hoped for.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 9/21/2011 8:51:31 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 5
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/22/2011 12:19:41 AM   
sweeteye

The action has picked up a bit on day two.

Resumed my attacks to secure the Toul bridges.

Successfully secured the area.

Continued my advance on Port-a-Mousson,Dieulouard,and Marbache.

Some German units had crossed over the Moselle to the south and were moving on Toul.

Kept the pressure on to the north.Starting to wonder where all the German units are at.

Sent a battalion from the 318th to the south to protect the flank.

By nightfall I have a pretty good control of the area around Toul and have crossed the Moselle.Have to wonder what the coming days will bring in the way of German counter attacks.

To the north I have taken Dieulouard and Marbache but have not been able to cross the Moselle at Pont-a-Mousson.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 6
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/22/2011 10:30:32 AM   
sweeteye

Day 3

Advanced to the east from Toul with the 319th and CCB. Some German FJ units had crossed the Moselle and move to the north.

Continued my attempt to establish a bridgehead at Port-a- Mousson.The Germans seemed to be making a faint hearted counter attack on Marbache.

Sent a battalion from the 317th to the south to reinforce Marbache.Managed to cross the Moselle at Port-a-Mousson by nightfall.

In the south I have secured two railroad bridges over the Moselle and have advanced eastward with no resistance.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 9/22/2011 6:11:16 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 7
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/22/2011 7:55:08 PM   
sweeteye

Day 4

A small German counter attack towards the railroad bridges over the Moselle northeast of Toul.Did not amount to much.So far counter attacks have been weak in strength which is a bit disappointing.Perhaps as the scenario draws nearer to the end they will increase in strength.

Advanced CCB and a battalion of the 319th towards Nancy.

Made a small attack with a battalion of the 318th on the southern flank.

Decided to move CCR towards Port-a-Mousson.

The Germans made another counter attack towards Port-a-Mousson but once again it did not amount to much and they ended up withdrawing.

CCR begins arriving at Port-a-Mousson.

The overall situation at nightfall.Advanced closer to Nancy and probably could have launched an attack. Am a bit reluctant to to over extend myself for fear of the great number of German units to the south.Will wait for the 35th division to arrive and move into position on day five.

Have noticed two primed bridges in the northeast part of the map that are not supposed to be primed.Will fix them eventually....Will be interesting to see how the scenario turns out at the end....Will have a better idea of how to adjust the victory points if need be. I am disappointed in the way the Germans are defending.......Not putting up much of a fight so far......Perhaps I should change the settings to make them more aggressive? Was just looking at the morale and aggressiveness settings for the German units. The 3rd Parachute regiments morale is set to low....perhaps explains the easy fight so far...other German units are somewhat better and the German reinforcements should be a fighting force....high morale....

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 9/22/2011 8:27:23 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 8
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/22/2011 11:14:14 PM   
sweeteye

Day 5

Advanced a battalion of the 319th into downtown Nancy.Did not meet up with as many German units as I thought I would.

Expanded the area around the Port-a-Mousson bridgehead.

The 35th Division had arrived and was moving towards the front.

Decided to attack Sainte-Genevieve.

[image][/image]

Nightfall day five.Certainly hope the second half of the scenario is better than the first half...I believe I have only lost two units in five days...Germans have lost quite a few.I do not understand why the Germans are not counter attacking in strength.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 9/22/2011 11:16:40 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 9
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/23/2011 1:19:43 AM   
sweeteye

Day 6

Secured Nancy for a short time but it is looking like the Germans are massing for a counter attack.

The 320th and 134th regiments have arrived at their attack positions.

Finally the Germans seem to be preparing to counter attack in strength. They have at least reoccupied Nancy with a number of units.

Many more German units are appearing and it is looking a bit more interesting.

Very quiet to the north...should probably make an advance eastward.

Now there is more of a balance of opposing force in the city.

Nightfall comes in the south...Day seven should be more interesting.Very close between being at a draw or a victory on the win lose meter.

Positions at nightfall in the north.Ready to make a move to the east on day seven.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 9/23/2011 1:20:14 AM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 10
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/23/2011 10:34:24 AM   
sweeteye

Day 7

Started an advance eastward with CCR.

Lots of German units near Nancy but they seemed content to stay at a distance from the city.

A few German untits move towards the city. Perhaps my artillery was keeping them at bay

Moved some infantry across the Moselle just north of Nancy.AI had blown the Railroad bridge over the canal slowing me a bit.

CCRs' positions in the northeast.

A battalion of the 318th moves on the Bayon area bridges.

At nightfall CCR was closing in on Chateau Salins.

Kind of a standoff at Nancy.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 11
RE: Battle of Nancy AAR - 9/23/2011 1:58:35 PM   
sweeteye

Day 8

Significant battle developing in Nancy.

I am running out of slots available for screenshots on the site I upload them to...may have to find an additional site.Between this game and the WW1 flight simulator Rise of Flight (Have built quite a number of missions for it)I have made hundreds of screenshots. At this point of the scenario I can pretty much see what changes need to be made for a second release.Have a victory in the bag if I can hang on to the objectives I hold now for two more days.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 9/23/2011 1:59:57 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 12
Final Results: Nancy - 9/24/2011 5:26:13 AM   
sweeteye

Day 9 and 10

Did not have to do much but run the game on triple speed and sit back and watch.The Germans sent a large number of units into Nancy but I eventually secured the city even though there was a few German units left in the city. Germans made no effort to counter attack on any other objectives. I lost very few units overall and the Germans took heavy losses to say the least. I am going to significantly increase the German morale values,training,and aggro and re release the scenario.As usual I was a little premature in releasing the scenario but it was worth it because I did get help with fixing the OOB.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 9/24/2011 5:29:04 AM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> Battle of Nancy AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI