Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Please read: June 22 1941 Soviet morale

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Please read: June 22 1941 Soviet morale Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please read: June 22 1941 Soviet morale - 9/12/2011 2:46:16 PM   
ComradeP

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion regarding the initial Soviet morale on turn 1 of the 1941-1945 campaign (or scenarios derived from that).

A number of forum members expected the increased Soviet national morale to have an effect on the Soviet morale during the Axis phase of turn 1.

I would kindly like to refer those people to chapter 23.3.4.2 of the manual, which doesn't include any reference to national morale at all, as the initial morale is 30+a random number between 1 and 24 before other modifiers take effect.

Soviet national morale won't have an effect on the morale of Soviet units until the first Soviet logistics phase, when Soviet units might increase their morale if they're below national morale.

In short: there is no link between initial Soviet morale and national morale, which is why you won't see much of a change with initial Soviet morale compared to previous versions.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 9/12/2011 2:48:37 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Post #: 1
RE: Please read: June 22 1941 Soviet morale - 9/12/2011 3:04:14 PM   
Tarhunnas

I was among those forum members, but it is obvious when you mention it. Thanks for pointing this out!

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 2
RE: Please read: June 22 1941 Soviet morale - 9/12/2011 3:24:41 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas
I was among those forum members, but it is obvious when you mention it. Thanks for pointing this out!

Count me in that bunch as well. I forgot entirely about 22nd June special rules

Wite2 - Lead Tester

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 3
RE: Please read: June 22 1941 Soviet morale - 9/12/2011 11:56:54 PM   
glvaca

Thanks for this clarification ComradeP.
However, it is still not very clear to me what this reduction actually does.
I see Soviets units in November still easily recovering morale into the 50-ties which should be above the national morale level at that point.

If you could list down the exact advantages/disadvantages of this rule that would surely be a big help to many here on the forum.

Thanks!

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 4
RE: Please read: June 22 1941 Soviet morale - 9/13/2011 9:42:07 AM   
ComradeP

We had some trouble with how the recently added bonuses to national morale worked, as all units were suddenly increasing morale beyond where they should theoretically be able to increase it through automatic morale gain in the logistics phase, but I believe that issue is supposed to be fixed in the public version as well.

In any case, units can reach up to 75 morale if they're in good supply and have all the support squads they need. The Axis will also notice this effect with the frozen Hungarians, who also tend to increase morale by at least a couple of points before they activate.

Having said that, units regularly recovering to over 50 morale when refitting or to over whatever the national morale is at that point should be rare, it should not be a regular occurrence for either side.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 5
RE: Please read: June 22 1941 Soviet morale - 9/18/2011 1:19:58 AM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

We had some trouble with how the recently added bonuses to national morale worked, as all units were suddenly increasing morale beyond where they should theoretically be able to increase it through automatic morale gain in the logistics phase, but I believe that issue is supposed to be fixed in the public version as well.

In any case, units can reach up to 75 morale if they're in good supply and have all the support squads they need. The Axis will also notice this effect with the frozen Hungarians, who also tend to increase morale by at least a couple of points before they activate.

Having said that, units regularly recovering to over 50 morale when refitting or to over whatever the national morale is at that point should be rare, it should not be a regular occurrence for either side.

Thanks again for replying ComradeP and apologies for the interval.

What I see in game is units +10 hexes from Axis/Soviet units regaining morale reasonably rapidly. Up to early 50-ties. Be it Axis minor or Soviet.
Appart from shells of Soviet units starting at lower morale I don't really see a difference in the morale rules for the Sovs. To be clear, not that I'm complaining, just trying to understand.

So the question remains, what exactly is the disadvantage for the Soviet player of this morale rule change? Is it "just" the lower starting morale of Soviet shell units? Or is there more?

Also, I thought that one of the changes in the patch was the building morale is national morale, no separate table any more. However, I don't see this implemented in the game. Am I missing something?

< Message edited by glvaca -- 9/18/2011 1:52:45 AM >

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Please read: June 22 1941 Soviet morale Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI