AAR - Stabilizing the XII Corps MLR

Post reports of your great victories and disastrous defeats here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

sweeteye

AAR - Stabilizing the XII Corps MLR

Post by sweeteye »

Just finished up a scenario for the Jeandelaincourt map and have started an initial test. The scenario is based off of the positions of the units on the overlay map I used as well as some reading I did on the actual battle. The scenario runs from 17:00 October 1st 1944 to 23:00 October 9th 1944. I just finished the first day, which is very short. Decided to post some screenshots as a preliminary to releasing the scenario. I think I will just go ahead and release the scenario as it is right now because testing will take some time. For those familiar with the scenario maker you do have the option to edit the scenario yourself if you wish. I can really use some help testing the scenario and would like others opinions to make it better.

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

sweeteye

RE: AAR - Stabilizing the XII Corps MLR

Post by sweeteye »

Up to day four of my test of the scenario. Seems to be a fairly interesting battle though progress is slow. The Germans keep making counter attacks in an attempt to take back Sivry. Trying to take Moivrons but am meeting stiff resistance. Holding back on my attack on the left flank. Feel it is best to conserve my forces.I have taken Fossieux early on day three but feel eventually there will be a strong counter attack against it when German reinforcements arrive. Have been using what little artillery I have constantly and to the point of running out of ammo in order to suppress the German advances.Waiting patiently for my reinforcements to arrive late on day seven. I have to wonder about the best way to set up the victory conditions. Do not have much experience with this game yet so I have to wing it when it comes to scenario design.

Positions at end of Day 3

Headquarters Company

Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

Looks great I can help play testing. Let me know what you want done.
Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester
DW2 DLC beta tester
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Thanks starbuck....I guess the first thing that comes to mind and concerns me most is the objectives....one being the point values of the objective areas for each side and secondly where they might be better placed, added or removed. Generally, I tried to go by the overlay map I used for the game map as well as what is in the briefing narrative I used by the author Hugh Cole. I am just not sure if I am doing this as well as might be done. Also, any other things you might think of or notice while testing the scenario. I am very open minded and do not mind constructive criticism. I think it would be good to get others views since people seem to have a tendency to look at what makes a good scenario differently and combining these views together might make a better scenario. Oh, and wondering if you might know of any good sources for detailed OOB's. I am probably missing some units or types of units in the OOB's. Thanks again.
Headquarters Company

sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

After adjusting the victory point values of the scenario I have started another test. I believe I have a much better understanding of how to set up the objectives now. The screen below shows the new victory point values for the U.S. I had a very successful first two days as far as securing objectives go although I am still in the range of a draw. I really need one or both of the highest point value objectives to put me in the victory range. The scenario seems to be much more like it should be now.It would be interesting to see how others might set up the victory point values.

Headquarters Company

sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

At the end of day three I have secured Clemery for 17 VP's but have lost Sivry's 3 VP's. The win lose meter dropped considerably to below the half mark. I forget what Sivry is worth to the Germans but I do know it is one of their most valuable objectives to hold.I do not really like to lose but I am actually glad in this case. I now know the Germans are going to give me a run for the money.

Headquarters Company

sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Days 4 and 5: Spent day 4 concentrating on securing Jeandelaincourt. Laid down a lengthy artillery barrage prior to advancing on the objective.... daylight until almost 14:00. Started my attacks right after 14:00 but was repulsed almost immediately by German artillery fire. Advanced again and made it in close but with only three companies to the Germans six. Bombarded the objective more and at the same time was bombarded by the Germans. Advances and retreats went on for over six hours. Finally at nightfall I secured the objective. Day 5 centered around eliminating three German units which advanced on Moivrons down an open road in the middle of the night.This took up the better part of the day. German Artillery fire had disrupted most of my units and they were all exhausted for the most part and my attack ran out of steam. The German AI started to become active around 16:00 and began heavily reinforcing the Sivry area. I have two more days to make it through before my armor, mechanized infantry, artillery,and airstrike reinforcements become available. I can see I am going to have troubles before then.

Headquarters Company

sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Day 6: The day went well for me despite what I thought might happen. I was expecting the Germans to attack from their strong position at Sivry but this never happened.The Germans remained motionless throughout the night and all day long making my planned attack from my left flank relatively easy and with minimal casualties. I made my objective of Nomeny and its two bridges before nightfall. My advance was preceded by a lengthy bombardment focusing mainly on the German artillery positions.I made a small attack on the right flank to help open up the door for the armor unit reinforcements when they arrive. I should now have the German units around Sivry cut off from their supplies.Decided to try out the MILSketch program I found on the forum.

Headquarters Company

Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

I made really good progress on the eastern objectives with few casualties. Like you I found the AI thrusts to the south seemingly ignoring the major objective of Letricourt until quite late in the scenario.
DW2 DLC beta tester
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

The Letricourt point values are not very high for the Germans. Perhaps that is why they ignore them?
Headquarters Company

sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Day 7: Events of day seven were confined mainly to the bombardment of Sivry as well as airstrikes on the Sivry area. I did make a movement to Letricourt with two companies of the 34th to probe for German units. Did not find much and secured the objective. Also withdrew two companies on the left flank in order to protect them from coming German reinforcements on the 8th day. Even though I have secured the two most valuable objectives I am still at a draw. I can only reason this to be because the Germans have held Sivry for so long and have accumulated many points. I must attack and secure Sivry and have two days to do it. My reinforcements have begun to arrive starting with the 328th infantry regiment.

Headquarters Company

sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Days 8 and 9: Day 8 consisted of the movement of my reinforcements into position for an attack on Sivry as well as reinforcing the Letricourt area.I conducted a lengthy and intense bombardment of Sivry preceding the attack. At 13:00 I directed the massed forces of infantry, armor, and mechanized infantry to assault from three directions. I continued the bombardment while the advance was being made.The assault lasted only a few hours as the Germans quickly capitulated from the intense pressure. I had achieved all the objectives on the map and the only thing left to do was to wait for day nine to end. There was no sense in trying for points from casualties as I have placed a 20 percent cap on them. The German forces were nearly all eliminated. The battle ended as a draw even though I was firmly in control of the entire map. I believe that the Germans had gained enough victory points from holding Sivry for so long that it thwarted my victory. After playing this test I will have to consider raising the cap on the victory points from casualties.Time to try playing as the Germans.

Headquarters Company

Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

Americans push hard for the bridges VP. Germans can hold most areas and now on day three the reinforcements have arrived. I think I have attrited the Americans significantly. In reality 80 Div would have been decisively defeated by day 3.
DW2 DLC beta tester
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

I am not sure if there is a way to have the scenario end based on casualties although that would be good if it is possible. Will take a look at the scenario maker. I know in my test playing as the Americans I should have won based on the casualties also. I think raising the percentage cap on casualties is needed. Probably should just raise the cap to 100 percent to make sure you can get as many points as possible. When I was making the scenario I thought that it would be best to have a cap on the casualty points in order for territorial gains to be more important. I can see now that was a mistake.Also may need to find a way to get the AI to spread their efforts around a bit more.Have not had a chance today to start my test playing as the Germans. I am tempted to make these adjustments right away before more testing: 1. Raise the casualty cap to 100 percent. 2. Add a recon troop to each American regiment. 3. On the map, make the Sielle River a Major river so that it is only crossable at the bridges.I have no idea if the Sielle river is actually crossable. Would be good to know.
Headquarters Company

Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

I think making it a major river is acceptable. Vehicles require a bridge to cross all but the shallowest rivers.
http://www.150th.com/rivers/sielle.htm
Supply convoys would need bridges etc so infantry units arent going to get very far without a line of communications. Infantry can assault across but most would move over rivers via bridges. I would give the Germans a bit less supply to limit their arty as well.
DW2 DLC beta tester
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

I was just looking at the map and map maker. I can change the movement values of the minor river to be like a major river. That way it does not take so much time to edit. Will also limit German Supply as you suggest. I think that is a good idea. Just thinking about the minor river some more and I suppose I should make it so infantry can get across but not motorized.
Headquarters Company

Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

As the Germans I managed to hold on to all the objectives and gain a draw. In reality a victory for the Germans as the 80th was dead in its tracks as was the reinforcements. I did note that at one stage even the Corps HQ attacked as well as the supply units. Some were destroyed so I assume re-supply was a problem? I think the loss of a supply unit should have an effect on a 9 day scenario :)

Overall gets a good thumbs up, the battle over 9 days could go either way and the AI was doing a great job of seeking out new approaches and not just battering away at objectives. I found that using the arty to slow or interdict enemy corridors was very effective as well as protective shoots close to my units. By up setting his time line I could catch them in the open and force them back.
DW2 DLC beta tester
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

I have been using the German artillery the same way. Seems to be the only way to slow down the Americans. Only about half way through my test as I got distracted trying to figure out how to make the Nancy map.
Headquarters Company

Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

Yes I found that it was best to use some small 75mm batterys with low ROF to interdict the routes where I did not have good reports. They seemed to have loads of ammo. Only used mortars against infantry and saved 105 for confirmed targets or emergency fires! Grouping your arty to fire simultaneously on one point target can have a devastating effect. The guns and mortars have good direct fire as well when grouped with infantry.

This was on realistic command settings

Dave may want to comment on supply base destruction and penalty?
DW2 DLC beta tester

Return to “After Action Reports”