Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Next game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Next game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Next game? - 7/29/2011 8:54:31 PM   
wodin

When will work start on the next iteration? Will it be a new engine? Have any design documents been done yet?

With the promise of more in depth infantry it's something I'm look forward to seeing....hopefully it will be the game that brings me into the series.
Post #: 1
RE: Next game? - 7/29/2011 10:07:51 PM   
DesertFox32

Just the thought of this game system set on the Western Front gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Next game? - 7/29/2011 11:19:11 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

When will work start on the next iteration? Will it be a new engine? Have any design documents been done yet?

With the promise of more in depth infantry it's something I'm look forward to seeing....hopefully it will be the game that brings me into the series.

We haven't completed a design doc yet. Several members of the team have put together some 'wish' lists, but we want to get the first patch finalized before we refine the design doc for the next game. We also hope to have some expansion mods between PCO and the next game in the series.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Next game? - 7/30/2011 1:40:55 AM   
Mobius

quote:

I guess they will look at doing many wishlist items with the current engine. If that is not possible then the debate for a new engine will ensue.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Next game? - 8/16/2011 7:16:38 AM   
gijas17

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

quote:

We haven't completed a design doc yet. Several members of the team have put together some 'wish' lists, but we want to get the first patch finalized before we refine the design doc for the next game. We also hope to have some expansion mods between PCO and the next game in the series.

Thanks
Rick

I've been away for awhile. So no patches yet for PCOF?

"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 5
RE: Next game? - 8/16/2011 7:51:49 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: gijas
I've been away for awhile. So no patches yet for PCOF?

Not yet. we're working on it. We still have couple of items we are trying to fix. We hope to able able to report more by the end of the week.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to gijas17)
Post #: 6
RE: Next game? - 10/22/2011 2:18:43 PM   
LoneWulf63

I just downloaded the free demo of this game and I am impressed. I am hoping to purchase the full version of the game in the near future and to be posting more on this section of the forums.

Rick. If you are ever in need of alpha or beta-testers for future titles of this game, please contact me via email at resinslinger@msn.com so that I can give you my qualifications.

Take care all and keep on gaming. Chris.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Next game? - 10/22/2011 5:58:31 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

I just downloaded the free demo of this game and I am impressed. I am hoping to purchase the full version of the game in the near future and to be posting more on this section of the forums.

Rick. If you are ever in need of alpha or beta-testers for future titles of this game, please contact me via email at resinslinger@msn.com so that I can give you my qualifications.

Take care all and keep on gaming. Chris.

thanks Chris. We hope you enjoy it! I imagine we will post an announcement for here for beta testers for the next game in the series, but it will be a while before we're to that stage.

Thanks!
Rick

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
Post #: 8
RE: Next game? - 10/22/2011 10:54:07 PM   
LoneWulf63

Thanks Rick.

I am in the process of downloading the full version of the game right now and I am looking forward to immersing myself in it later this evening. I have told an old wargamming friend of mine about it and he is sure to pass the word on.

No big deal about waiting for any future titles that I may be able to lend a hand with. I am sure this game will keep me busy for a couple of hours or so.

Chris.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 9
RE: Next game? - 10/23/2011 10:07:51 AM   
76mm

I've never really understood which theater the "next game" will involve--also East Front?

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
Post #: 10
RE: Next game? - 10/23/2011 1:24:36 PM   
sztartur2

Next game the infantry shortcomings should be fixed no matter what the theater will be.

-Exit issue
-Selecting to shoot at armor only if required + covered arcs if possible
-Crawl command, combined with grass system = better hiding.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 11
RE: Next game? - 10/23/2011 5:20:11 PM   
Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: sztartur
Next game the infantry shortcomings should be fixed no matter what the theater will be.
Are infantry ever made to everyone's satisfaction?

Things I would like added:
Stationary guns whose bases do not rotate when the gun does. - Can make destructable working armored pill boxes, armored train cars, riverine gun boats.

(in reply to sztartur2)
Post #: 12
RE: Next game? - 10/23/2011 6:07:18 PM   
junk2drive

Crawl would be good but it will have to be slow and short distance.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 13
RE: Next game? - 10/23/2011 7:30:39 PM   
sztartur2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: sztartur
Are infantry ever made to everyone's satisfaction?

CMX1 infantry model is good enough for me except the borg spotting.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 14
RE: Next game? - 10/23/2011 7:33:14 PM   
sztartur2

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Crawl would be good but it will have to be slow and short distance.

Yes. This can be achieved by the fatigue feature PCO already has for infanrty. It worked the same way in CMX1

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 15
RE: Next game? - 10/23/2011 8:16:55 PM   
Ratzki

I would like to see improvement for infantry in urban settings. Even cmx1 did not handle this well. It was tough to see where your units were and what was going on, specially when there were lots of infantry in a small area.
Some more step losses for the squads would be great.
I also think that as nice as it is to be able to place every tree, I would like to see LOS and 'to hit' modifiers be given on the distance these pass through a certain terrain type, not on how many trees or actual grass clumps that they do. I would not like to go back to a tile type terrain system, or at least not a course one as cmx1 did. I just want to free up computer resources somehow for larger maps and do not see another way other then to have some sort of tile system for terrain.
Would also like to see players be able to set up wire and ground fortifications as they would their units during setup.

(in reply to sztartur2)
Post #: 16
RE: Next game? - 10/24/2011 5:57:38 PM   
Mad Russian

Where?

I think Europe would be a very nice place to visit.

Ah, but what time period???

Now there's a really good question.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 17
RE: Next game? - 10/28/2011 11:53:38 AM   
LoneWulf63

What theater would I like to see the next game cover? Well, for me that would have to be the Western Front from 1940 to 1945. What features would I like to see in such a game? Buildings and structures that take damage that could destroy them and/or set them on fire. Tree bursts. What units or unit capabilities would I like to see? Cullen hedge row cutters on the American tanks, flamethrower equipped tanks, engineer vehicles including the weird ones, more "What If" weapons systems that were in development during the final days of the war. Give the engineer units the ability to blow structures, railroad tracks, and bridges remotely (visions of Remagen in my mind). Ski troops. Offmap naval assets. Working armored trains. Maybe include a few "What If" scenarios/campaigns for 1946/47 including one or two that pit the Allies vs. Soviet Union, especially ones that might have taken place in and around Berlin and Poland. More types of vehicle/tank obstructions. Friendly fire. This is my short-wish list.

If an PCO expansion game/set is being considered, it would be great to see some of the minor nations that fought on the Eastern Front; Romania, Italy, Finnish, to name a few. What about including some of the captured vehicles/tanks (French, Polish) for the Germans and American Lend-Lease vehicles/tanks for the Russians?

I keep nagging Steve (Mobius) to think about including the AA units. I've been told that they wouldn't be much use vs. ground units (what he called tank meat) and that the current game engine can't handle the high ROFs. If the new game engine could include a way to take on enemy ground-attack aircraft and increase the ROF, then there would be a use for these very important weapon systems. However, if it isn't possilbe to include these units because the game engine won't support the capabilities of these units, then I completely understand and agree with Steve (Mobius).

Okay, I've rambled on long enough. Chris.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 18
RE: Next game? - 10/28/2011 1:20:11 PM   
Commanderski

What would I like to see...is the graphics like Theater of War 1 with the current PCO game. Theater of War 2/3 is too CPU and graphics card intensive for a lot of compters TOW1 is just about right.

There are hundreds of battles and scenario's on the Easterrn Front that could keep us busy for years to come. I would like to see more improvemnents with this game on the Eastern Front before moving to any other theater.

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
Post #: 19
RE: Next game? - 10/28/2011 3:03:08 PM   
Jacko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

There are hundreds of battles and scenario's on the Easterrn Front that could keep us busy for years to come. I would like to see more improvemnents with this game on the Eastern Front before moving to any other theater.

Amen to that.

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 20
RE: Next game? - 10/28/2011 3:31:23 PM   
Ratzki

Why not just work on a core game system and leave the added units/theaters to Modders and small "official releases". Maybe come up with a graphics standard that would be "portable" so as new PC's came out, all the graphics mods could be transfered to the newer core game. I know that eventually graphics would have to be redone, but at least the Modders could get a little time out of their work before it had to be redone.

(in reply to Jacko)
Post #: 21
RE: Next game? - 10/28/2011 4:55:07 PM   
Mobius

quote:

I keep nagging Steve (Mobius) to think about including the AA units. I've been told that they wouldn't be much use vs. ground units (what he called tank meat) and that the current game engine can't handle the high ROFs.

The game system can't handle the high rate of fire directly but as all fire effects in PCO are a result of 3 probability considerations in series one or more of these could be increased to give the effect of more intensive fire.

A 4x 20mm cannon weapon might work. It would have more base accuracy and better penetration as just the most telling hits would be considered. The ammo supply would have to be in terms of a four gun burst. So if it actually had 3200 rounds and used 8-10 per gun per burst then a burst would consume 32-40 rds so the gun would have an ammo loadout of 80-100.

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
Post #: 22
RE: Next game? - 11/1/2011 2:23:51 PM   
madorosh

quote:

What theater would I like to see the next game cover? Well, for me that would have to be the Western Front from 1940 to 1945. What features would I like to see in such a game? Buildings and structures that take damage that could destroy them and/or set them on fire. Tree bursts. What units or unit capabilities would I like to see? Cullen hedge row cutters on the American tanks, flamethrower equipped tanks, engineer vehicles including the weird ones, more "What If" weapons systems that were in development during the final days of the war. Give the engineer units the ability to blow structures, railroad tracks, and bridges remotely (visions of Remagen in my mind). Ski troops. Offmap naval assets. Working armored trains. Maybe include a few "What If" scenarios/campaigns for 1946/47 including one or two that pit the Allies vs. Soviet Union, especially ones that might have taken place in and around Berlin and Poland. More types of vehicle/tank obstructions. Friendly fire. This is my short-wish list.

If an PCO expansion game/set is being considered, it would be great to see some of the minor nations that fought on the Eastern Front; Romania, Italy, Finnish, to name a few. What about including some of the captured vehicles/tanks (French, Polish) for the Germans and American Lend-Lease vehicles/tanks for the Russians?

I keep nagging Steve (Mobius) to think about including the AA units. I've been told that they wouldn't be much use vs. ground units (what he called tank meat) and that the current game engine can't handle the high ROFs. If the new game engine could include a way to take on enemy ground-attack aircraft and increase the ROF, then there would be a use for these very important weapon systems. However, if it isn't possilbe to include these units because the game engine won't support the capabilities of these units, then I completely understand and agree with Steve (Mobius).

Okay, I've rambled on long enough. Chris.

I think what games like CM and PCO need to do is concentrate on building up capabailities in core sets first. Concentrate on key areas one at a time. PCO has a good start on armour modelling, for example. I've yet to see a game of this type do well at infantry engineer tasks - i.e. how infantry and pioneers negotiated things like barbed wire obstacles, road blocks, minefields, anti-tank ditches, booby-trapped buildings, fortified buildings (including cellars and rooftops), etc. To do this well would I think would take a great deal of time. It also wouldn't result in any great spectacular in-game effects - nothing flashy - which may be a point against it. But at some point, someone needs to get it right. Not just the obstacles, but the ways in which infantry and vehicles interacted with and overcame them, including the specialized armour that was eventually developed.

Far better to get these common elements in the game than the esoteric stuff like naval artillery or armored trains that really wasn't used at the tactical level during a running battle. Work on the stuff in distinct sets and the releases are coherent and achievable.

I would see examples of these distinct groups as:

Common engineering tasks, as described above
Improved vehicle capabilities - convoy movement, improved commands
Advanced infantry capabilities - scaling/rapelling, specialized demolition, parachute landing
Amphibious warfare - assault boats, landing craft, specialized German bunker types as in Normandy (H677, Tobruks, etc.)

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
Post #: 23
RE: Next game? - 11/1/2011 4:55:06 PM   
LoneWulf63

Michael. I do get carried away at times with what I'd like to see in this game or that. However, you are right about infantry and engineer unit capabilities. All of these games (no matter who published the game) could give these important units more capabilities. I have also been tinkering around with Battlefront's demo of the new Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy game. In that game the infantry units equipped with satchel charges can set those charges and blow holes in obstacles, buildings, and hedgerows. It is pretty cool if you can pull it off without getting your unit slaughtered in the process. As soon as I can afford to do so (being a player of CM for many years) I do play to add CMBN to my gaming library.

Besides not including AA units, I also noticed that there were no cavalry units in PCO. Almost ever WWII tactical level game I have ever played, conventional board or computer, has included these units. Again, I was told that simulating these units would be very hard to do. I don't understand the reasoning, but they seem to work quite well in the other computer games I've played, including Matrix's SPWaW and SPWaW is the same scale. Yes I know SPWaW is probably a different game engine, but I'd really like to see some horse mounted units (not dead ones). They might wind up as dog-food but it would be interesting to see them in action.

So Matrix games, please listen to your playing public. We know that you work very hard to do as much as you can with a simulation such as PCO or any future games. However, many of us are Old Guard wargamers (including this old fart) and we miss these units when we play the games. I think that a new forum area for PCO should be added. Call it, THE WISH LIST. That way we, the players, could let Matrix know what we would like to see.

Nuff said. Chris.

< Message edited by resinslinger -- 11/1/2011 4:59:28 PM >

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 24
RE: Next game? - 11/1/2011 5:30:22 PM   
sztartur2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jacko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

Amen to that.

+1

And focus on infantry model improvement, fix the exit issue.

(in reply to Jacko)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Next game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI