Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 1:43:25 PM   
Flaviusx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I am not sure about cranking the interdiction up. I think it will mean fewer but heavier attacks. Smart Ivan will move around a bunch of HQ's and Airfields to suck up much of your available air on rubbish targets. I think 75% to 100% might be better. More overall attacks with less effect might be better. You have to ask what would be better? Hitting 1 division hard or 3 moderately.

These interdiction attacks on HQs and airfields are themselves problematic for the Soviet: it's a good way of losing leaders. (Admittedly, the odds are good they'll kill crap leaders, but still.) Also, will seriously hinder their command and control, and airbases also need some pretty serious redeployment before you can get the red air force into play.

These interdiction attacks may actually be more effective at the operational level in creating chaos than attacks on combat units.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 31
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/29/2011 2:32:15 PM   
Manstein63

Nice opening Ketza, its pretty much how I would do it apart from sending part of 2nd Panzer Armee South. also thanks for the info on air settings most helpful
Manstein63

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 32
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:36:33 PM   
Ketza

Interdiction was pretty much a non factor during his movement phase turn one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 33
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:37:27 PM   
Ketza

AGN pocket held.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 34
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:38:05 PM   
Ketza

Western pocket held

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 35
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:39:15 PM   
Ketza

Brest/Kovel pockets held.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 36
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:40:43 PM   
Ketza

And lastly the most important Lvow pocket held. This is probably the most units I have pocketed in an opening yet.

Lots of practice!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 37
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:45:54 PM   
Ketza

AGN went fairly smooth. He was able to suck up a lot of MPs with regiments placed in front of his lines that just kept retreating. This stalled any major attack that I usually launch. Usually I have seen divisions placed out front which tend to rout more easily. Very good tactic in game terms but not very realistic that a 900 man security regiment can slow down a Panzer division out in the open.

Its these little subtle actions on the part of a Soviet player that seperates the good players from the average. I have a huge uphill battle ahead of me this game I can feel it.

You will notice most of my spearheads are pretty safe from being cutoff in all sectors. I like somewhat secure flanks guess it is a by product of Army ROTC

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 7/31/2011 5:59:23 PM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 38
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:49:08 PM   
Ketza

AGC - once again I am slowed by just enough. I like to get to Orsha or adjacent to Mogilev but didnt quite have the oomph. I did however take out Minsk with a Panzer pioneer combo which should speed things up a bit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 39
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:51:18 PM   
Ketza

Pripyat marshes are fairly cleaned out for the time being. I like to clear it as I advance to keep pesky supply line breaks from leakers to a minimum.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 40
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:54:03 PM   
Ketza

AGS - Lvow pocket is only marginally reduced but it is constricted. Another small pocket is created from some of his checkerboard. Its looks as if he is going to defend a line in the middle of the Ukraine. This is mostly good news to me but it does promise some hard fighting ahead.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 41
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:56:18 PM   
Ketza

And the far south. Nothing major going on other then the typical advance.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 42
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 7/31/2011 5:57:09 PM   
Ketza

Losses for the turn. I will post unit kills next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 43
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/1/2011 12:50:14 AM   
Michael T

The use of brigades and regiments to slow down whole corps with zoc's and lost mp thru ineffectual attacks is a blight on the game. I have been banging on about this for months, it needs to be fixed.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 44
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:12:09 PM   
Ketza

Turn 3 I had a folder of screenshots but I deleted them by accident. Bummer.

So instead I offer a few words.

AGN - Moved up infantry and opted not to attack with just Panzers across the river. They could use the gas.

AGC - Pretty much the same thing.

AGS - He was setting up a very strong line as I pointed out earlier. Going against my usual agressive posture I decided to wait for the infantry here as well. All 4 Panzer corps had gas in the 20-30 mp area so I wanted to get them all up to 40-50 without HQ buildups. The infantry hugged his line and I threw the ball in his court. If he stayed I was going to crush his line and if he left I would gain ground free of charge.

Since I do not have any screenshots:

This time last year I was in Normandy. Here I am at Juno beach. I am the guy in the green shirt. Sorry its so big..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 8/4/2011 4:15:51 PM >

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 45
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:17:47 PM   
Ketza

Turn 4 AGN start - He only has one division in Pskov so thats where we will cross with an infantry corp from 16th army leading the way. Its not an overly serious defensive line so it should be able to be broken.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 8/4/2011 4:20:04 PM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 46
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:18:24 PM   
Ketza

Turn 4 AGC start - Just going to plow forward until the infantry arrives in force.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 8/4/2011 4:20:41 PM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 47
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:18:59 PM   
Ketza

Turn 4 AGS start - He decided to fall back and set up a checkerboard. I have had success against checkerboards in other games so its a positive development. I plan on herding some units into a pocket as well as getting as close to Kiev as I can. He moved half the industry and catching any of the Kiev industry at all to me is a bonus. He also moved Odessa but that is all as far as I can tell.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 8/4/2011 4:23:42 PM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 48
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:37:10 PM   
Ketza

Finland final - typical Finnish attack trying to pin a few good divisions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 49
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:38:53 PM   
Ketza

AGN final - Pskov fell easily and the Panzers exploited but not to far as gas was low. 16th army is now in range for deliberate attacks. 18th army is storming towards the Baltic.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 50
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:42:42 PM   
Ketza

AGS - Everyone heads East. Zhitomir pocket is formed with 9 divisions herded into an enclave. I skirted around some of his big CV stacks and to my surprise got to Kiev with a 10 CV motorized unit with Flam tanks attached. He had Kiev held with one weak division and the place was overrun rather easily.

Not sure what he will do at this point.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 51
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:44:43 PM   
Ketza

Zhitomir pocket - Some decent sized divisions in here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 52
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:46:35 PM   
Ketza

AGS rest of front - Still some sizable forces in Lvow pocket being reduced by security forces, Rumanians and one Corp from 17th army that has weak morale. Some of the security divisions are over 70 moral now. 2nd army is coming on line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 53
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:49:48 PM   
Ketza

AGC 4 final - A few attacks to cut down on forts but mainly a turn of moving up. Like the South turn 3 he is faced with a decision to either stay in place and get crushed or give up some ground free of carnage. Either option is fine with me.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 54
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 4:52:17 PM   
Ketza

Turn 4 losses - I want to average 250k a turn for first 8 turns. Counting whats in the pockets this pace is being obtained but this is a stat that is driven by Soviet play.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 55
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/4/2011 10:42:57 PM   
Michael T

Well done in the south, I was getting worried for you.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 56
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/7/2011 2:59:34 AM   
CarnageINC

You've had some good pockets going on there.  I definately think going to a pure checkerboard in the south was a mistake, it appears your cutting him up pretty good on your drive to Kiev .  Has he attacked you any or is going totally defensive?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 57
RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please - 8/18/2011 12:40:14 AM   
Ketza

I spent a few days at Virginia beach and while there mulled over the 1.05 changes while I lounged on the surf. I decided to ask Timmy if he was interested in playing a game after that patch as I felt we may have a more interesting game after the proposed changes. It was early enough in our game to not give up on too much of a commitment. He agreed and this game will come to an end.

Timmy is an excellent Soviet player and I although I made some large gains against Leningrad this past turn I felt like I was not really getting anywhere this game from a strategic standpoint. Every turn I watched his factories evaporating and his main forces slipping away before I could nail anything down. The pockets I made were not very substantial and I was off of a decent timetable by a considerable amount of time by his excellent management of his forces.

I am hoping the proposed changes make the game more competitive for the Axis. Although it is true in my opinion a very good Axis player can do well against and average or below average Soviet player I do not hold that opinion when 2 evenly matched players meet. To me Soviets have an edge if they follow the proven Soviet formula. In order for the Axis to maintain the momentum needed to reach minimal objectives that will impact the game long term the Axis player has to rely on the Soviet player to make blatant mistakes. The highest level of Soviet play in my opinion always trumps the best an Axis player can do. Of course I could be wrong or still have a lot to learn but that is my opinion for now wrong or right until 1.05 changes hit

Perhaps I am underestimating my position in this game but I have to give Timmy the nod that he is winning this one long term. To me the 41 and 42 campaigns should be nail biters. I do not see that happening in a game of me vrs him with the current state of the game. He may very well best me even in 1.05 but we will have to see

Thank you Timmy for being an excellent opponent and I look forward to the next round whenever that may arise.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ketza (Axis) vrs Timmyab (CCCP) no Timmy please Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI