Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WAD? Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> WAD? Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WAD? Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe? - 7/25/2011 4:53:33 PM   
marcpennington

I'm curious whether it's working as intended that mud effects European hexes under historical weather during the spring and October. I had assumed the placement of the European weather zone (extending along the southern edge of the map through the Crimea and into the Caucauses) had been meant to reflect that rasputitsa conditions were not a factor in the much drier south, as well as that Germans carried out offensive operations in these areas during the times of rasputitsa conditions elsewhere in the front---- for example Sevastapool and Kerch in Spring 42, and the tail end of the Caucauses offensive in October 42. Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe especially seems a bit absurd---- read Vasily Grossman's description of "combat" there in October 42 in Life and Fate, involving, notably caravans of camels carrying water to the front lines.

Again, the placement of the European weather zone would seem to be a deliberate attempt to take account the variation in climate in the extreme south--- just wondering if unintended mud conditions had slipped into the code at some point.
Post #: 1
RE: WAD? Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe? - 7/25/2011 5:44:20 PM   
Mehring

The weather system is a bit of an over generalised fudge.

“The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.”
¯ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to marcpennington)
Post #: 2
RE: WAD? Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe? - 7/25/2011 9:24:10 PM   
PeeDeeAitch

Mmmmm, fudge.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 3
RE: WAD? Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe? - 7/25/2011 9:53:23 PM   
Tarhunnas

Vassily Grossman, but that is a novel! That is like using War and Peace as a source for Napoleonic combat!

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 4
RE: WAD? Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe? - 7/25/2011 10:15:08 PM   
marcpennington

Given that Vasily Grossman (unlike Tolstoy) was actually present at the events, I think most of Life and Fate (at least as regards its generalized descriptions of combat and historical figures) can be treated as as close to the unvarnished and uncensored "truth" as we're likely to ever get on the Soviet side... Most of his anecdotes and descriptions at Stalingrad come directly out of his war-time notebooks that were supressed at the time and finally published a few years ago. And come on, you just can't make stuff up like the drunken commisar of the 64th Army calling the comissar of the 62nd to repeatedly tell him how much he loved him, man... :)

At the very least I think there's more insight on the daily life of the Red Army in a typical chapter of Grossman as there are in the entirety of Catherine Merridale's (much over-rated) Ivan's War. Even Glantz in one of his historiographical essays treats the fictionalized accounts like Grossman's as one of the key sources on the actuality of the Red Army, given lacunae in the available historical record.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 5
RE: WAD? Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe? - 7/25/2011 10:15:14 PM   
Panama

6 inches precip eastern part. 16 inches precip western part. Most of the rain falls in summer with July being wetter than other months. True for most of the area from Kalmyk and south to the mountains. Much is semi arid. Wetter as you go west. Dryer as you go east. Wasn't nearly as cold that as it was farther north. But then that's a no brainer since it's 'south'.

Don't see the mud being such a big problem south. Soil makeup has a lot to do with the mud in Russia. When it gets wet the soil is mud.

< Message edited by Panama -- 7/25/2011 10:17:16 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> WAD? Rasputitsa on the Kalmyk Steppe? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI