Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moscow Military District questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Moscow Military District questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moscow Military District questions - 7/22/2011 10:29:15 PM   
Scotters1

I'm playing as the Russians against a hard German AI. I love the game, but I am definitely a newby. I am enjoying the feeling of desperation and the Fascist invaders keep breaking through the fronts of my peace loving Russian people.

I have a big problem. On Turn 3 I foolishly transferred a lot of my units around Moscow to the Moscow Military District, only to realize in turn 4 that MD's don't have as many command points as Fronts, and that all those new units that I had digging around Moscow are now desperately needed near Smolensk with German Armor within 70 miles of that city.

So, does the Moscow MD turn into a Front soon (or ever), or should I transfer those units back to Stavka? (at the cost of lots of ap.) I really don't want to add to the Western Front, its already at capacity?
Post #: 1
RE: Moscow Military District questions - 7/22/2011 10:59:59 PM   
heliodorus04

I had a similar problem:
I believe the Moscow MD does NOT turn into a Front at any time.

That being said, it is still a worthwhile repository for units that are going to stick around Moscow for 'collapse of defense" defense.  You might set their TOEs lower, or you might move divisions into the MD and then on to other places as necessary.

If you need those units in other fronts because the Moscow MD is immobile, then transfer them.  The Soviets have a much cheaper cost for moving divisions (which is a complaint of mine, but not one anyone else seems to object to). 

Spring 2018-Playing: Demyansk Shield: Frozen Fortress; Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Bonhoeffer
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Holland'44, Demyansk Shield: Frozen Fortress

(in reply to Scotters1)
Post #: 2
RE: Moscow Military District questions - 7/22/2011 11:16:36 PM   
Klydon

Any Russian needs to be careful of which MD HQ's become Fronts and which don't, etc or they will find themselves in a bit of a mess. The Moscow MD never becomes a front and neither does the Moscow Defensive District (not sure of the exact name). The Orel MD becomes the Bryansk Front, so that is one you can pile some units into. The Kharkov MD is fairly worthless as it becomes the Southern Ural MD (with no movement) on the east edge of the board.

A full listing of all this is on page 147 of the manual.

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 3
RE: Moscow Military District questions - 7/23/2011 6:08:50 AM   
56ajax

thanks for that, and page 108 of the new manual....

and when the reserve front gets renamed to the Kalinin Front should the Reserve Air Command also get renamed? out of sync at the mo...

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 4
RE: Moscow Military District questions - 7/23/2011 8:00:48 AM   
Jakerson

First priority while playing Soviets at 41 is just plug the holes and form defensive lines possible not too close to Germans until their logistics start to cough and also sacrifice some units to delay Germans. Units scattered all over them map and routed here and there. I just use units that are closest to places I want to defend.

Second priority is forming up proper command chains your army is in disarray at starting month and it take long time to organize it properly. Units that are attached to STAVKA get -20% combat bonus and units directly attached to fronts or military districts get -10%. This is why you have to attach troops to armies whenever you can.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 5
RE: Moscow Military District questions - 7/23/2011 8:28:00 AM   
Remmes

quote:

ORIGINAL: johntoml56
thanks for that, and page 108 of the new manual....

Where can I get the new manual? Must have missed it....

thx.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 6
RE: Moscow Military District questions - 7/23/2011 12:39:56 PM   
56ajax

If you have been uploading the 1.04 betas check the Manuals directory on your hard drive....there should be a much more recent manual, US_Letter.pdf

(in reply to Remmes)
Post #: 7
RE: Moscow Military District questions - 7/23/2011 1:55:10 PM   
Remmes

Haven't tried the beta's, did apply the official patch though.

Will look it up. Thanks for pointing it out.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Moscow Military District questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI