From: Bangor, Maine, USA
dear god why is the tension number so high? How bad have been your rolls?
And the Strat Bomber option? urrgh, not a good choice imho. Especially considering how bad your tension is already.
This is how things stood after the choices for the following turns.
Ge/It Entry: 24
Ge/It Tension: 21
Ja Entry: 27
Ja Tension: 14
Ge/It Entry: 21
Ge/It Tension: 30
Ge/It DOW: None
Ja Entry 30
Ja Tension: 18
Ja DOW: 0%
Ge/It Entry: 35
Ge/It Tension: 33
Ge/It DOW: 0%
Ja Entry: 28
Ja Tension: 26
Ja DOW: 10%
I was trying to work up tension for Option 34 (Pass War Appropriations Bill), and then in J/A '40, I passed it. That's when things went through the roof. Strategic Bomber Production was a solid choice, I think, because the USA has a lot of BP to spend, and this is a good place to spend them. Unfortunately, I got the bad end of the 50/50 chance of moving a chit. At the end of this turn (N/D '40), I'm going to take the same risk for Option 25 (Repair Western Allies Ships) and try that 50/50 again. After that, it's pretty much nothing until I'm ready to tie the noose around Japan's neck.
I have an interesting situation now, though. It's one that I didn't expect. Japan has China in bad enough a position that China can now Surrender, if it wanted to. Normally, this would be foolish . . .
However, here's the situation from each point of view:
1. The CW is barely holding its own in North Africa, and has lost the Middle-East to Italy (including Aden)
2. The USA may be scary with its production, but it isn't going to be entering the war very soon, I think
3. China is very weak, and might break in the next few turns
4. Japan is not in any position to wage war on the USSR, though it does have units it could move there if China does Surrender
A surrender by China after the N/D '40 turn (if things are really looking bad) would force Japan to DOW another major power. It isn't strong enough to take on the USA, is out of position to try to grab a lot of territory from the CW, and would get very little from a DOW on France. If it chose either a DOW on the CW or France, it means an extra US Entry chit each turn. That should bring the USA into the war very quickly, I'd say.
1. Germany and Italy are very busy in the Med at the moment. Italy, needs to reinforce Algeria and complete its conquest of the Middle-East. Germany has fully committed to taking Gibraltar and closing the Med, which leaves few units to threaten the USSR . . . or even to defend against an attack by the USSR
2. A Japanese DOW on the USSR would allow the Soviets much more freedom in their Action choice, which means they can prepare much better for Barbarossa, whenever it comes. They won't be limited to 5 land moves per impulse, so they could build their defenses at strategic positions very quickly.
Given the choice Germany made to try to close the Med, the Axis wants the USSR to be Neutral as long as possible. Germany needs to be able to get the jump on them, and an Active Russia prevents that.
So, here's the question . . . If Japan makes good progress in the south during N/D '40, should China consider a Surrender in order to force the Axis hand?
< Message edited by Red Prince -- 10/28/2011 2:21:29 PM >
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH