Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Terrible Planet Looks...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Terrible Planet Looks... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 8:23:04 AM   
MaxyGamer

I am angry now and I just want o share it all with you. Hope you got some time to burn. Me girl likes to play some games you see. She is a gamer (yeah, that’s what luck is all about, man!) but PC Strategy games do differ from PS3 action and footy games to a rather great extent, right? Right!

We’re away from home now and all I’ve got on my smart and sexy (can I type that word here? Is that okay? We’r all +13 right?) portable machine is …yeah Distant Worlds! Taught her some basics. She’s been playing for 3 days now. Must admit that I am quite impressed. Now, sure, all entire credit goes to moi for being such a great guy and a good tutor. You, developers/publishers, have one more player on your account. All thanks to Maxy.

Anyways, today early morning I came back from a swim and decided to play some. Some of her game. See what’s up and how smart she really is about this all thing. Realised she’s got an expanding empire. Trade is fine. Tech level quite impressive. Money flowing in. However, military is lacking in numbers. That’s alright though. She is a pacifist. Got friendly empires around her.

One thing that was strange about her game though was that she had a really nice planet…in a system that would properly connect her empire and she chose to leave it be. It had great resource base that she honestly required. It was the only planet in a system. Had great colonization value… Asked her. She tells me that it just ain’t pretty to colonize. It’s all red and ugly (Volcanic). She even complained about those that she already colonized. Ocean one looks dull. Etc.

You guys really need to make planets ‘prettier’. None of em got flowers… None got rainbows. In her eyes, that’s the biggest problem with DW and who am I to argue. Your planets are just tooo dull. Put some teddy bears on em. Actually, speaking about teddy bears… those could become planetary viceroys… I would also appreciate if you could have a set up option for a galaxy in the shape of a chipmunk…

Talk about useful and informative posts…
Post #: 1
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 9:41:05 AM   
Data

Consider the implications, though....if she finds the planets pretty enough than your +13 will risk major shrinkage.
I'm just sayin...it can happen.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to MaxyGamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 10:45:20 AM   
MaxyGamer

..You ...you really think a pretty planet in a game could substitute moi???

That remark of yours is as futile and ridiculous as this entire post is!

I, my fellow nerd, am quite disappointed in you... Naah, I love you all me nice poster buddies

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 11:34:37 AM   
Data

I think we can customize this atm, maybe create planets with pictures of tois...or various parts of tois. This way, observing which planets she colonizes or not, you can gauge her interests.
And also observe on which of them she uses the world destroyers

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to MaxyGamer)
Post #: 4
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 11:48:41 AM   
Shuul

Is it trolling or something?

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 11:58:42 AM   
MaxyGamer

yeah, trolling at its best

by the way, some great ideas there Data.

(in reply to Shuul)
Post #: 6
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 12:09:31 PM   
Data

My pleasure....as long as you take the risks
Let's hope she doesn't find her way to this thread.

(in reply to MaxyGamer)
Post #: 7
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 1:23:51 PM   
Igard

Maybe we need some butterfly space creatures too. Beautiful, graceful little butterflies, flying around, devouring any civilian transport that happens to pass their way.

Seriously, it's great you got your girlfriend playing DW. And I agree with her, the planets could do with looking prettier. Especially the desert, volcanic and ocean ones.

Have you tried the WIP planets mod? Warning, this thread is image heavy :- http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2537349

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 8
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 2:13:46 PM   
MaxyGamer

A very interesting thread indeed, Igard. Thanks. Some great images there.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 9
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 2:33:34 PM   
Shark7

Actually if someone really good at it would make some new planet graphics, I wouldn't complain about it.

I may have to try my hand at it at some point. Perhaps texturing a 3d sphere and rendering it would work?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to MaxyGamer)
Post #: 10
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 2:38:37 PM   
Rising-Sun

Having photo realistic images of planets or better would have a huge impact on the game while running 4x RTS, its fine the way it is.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 3:11:56 PM   
Shark7

Another thought, by using 2 spheres, 1 slightly larger than the other with a transperancy map, one could put an atmosphere on the planets. I am going to look into this after I get home from work.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 12
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 3:21:58 PM   
Data

You, sir, have one admirable mind

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 13
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 3:44:48 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Another thought, by using 2 spheres, 1 slightly larger than the other with a transperancy map, one could put an atmosphere on the planets. I am going to look into this after I get home from work.

I used a faded, radial gradient to achieve this look in much the same way as you describe, Shark. It's definately the way to go :-

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 14
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 3:48:47 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

quote:

I used a faded, radial gradient to achieve this look in much the same way as you describe, Shark. It's definately the way to go :-

And it won't be hard in 3d at all. just get a nice smooth subdivided sphere, make a UV map, then you can make as many different textures for it as you want. For the atmosphere, it is a simple task of putting in the 2 spheres and resizing the 'clear' one to 110-115%. Plus with a render engine, it will make shadows for you if you put in a light source.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 15
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 5:11:03 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

That could work, like in GC2 did by stardock.

There alot of programs can use for texturing, for example Bryce Program is good and free. I havent use that in awhile.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 7/15/2011 5:12:07 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 16
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 5:28:11 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

quote:

There alot of programs can use for texturing, for example Bryce Program is good and free. I havent use that in awhile.

I use PSP 8, The Gimp, and Paint.net (each has its strengths and weaknesses). But I've got all the tools I need to do this, same way I made my shipset for the game.

Also, I can use bump and displacement maps to make mountains that will stand out and cast shadows, lots and lots of things you can do for this. Just gotta get home from work to do it.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 17
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 7:49:30 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

quote:

quote:

I use PSP 8, The Gimp, and Paint.net (each has its strengths and weaknesses). But I've got all the tools I need to do this, same way I made my shipset for the game.

Also, I can use bump and displacement maps to make mountains that will stand out and cast shadows, lots and lots of things you can do for this. Just gotta get home from work to do it.

Looking forward to see your works :)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 18
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 9:01:38 PM   
Igard

quote:

And it won't be hard in 3d at all. just get a nice smooth subdivided sphere, make a UV map, then you can make as many different textures for it as you want. For the atmosphere, it is a simple task of putting in the 2 spheres and resizing the 'clear' one to 110-115%. Plus with a render engine, it will make shadows for you if you put in a light source.

Ah, you're gonna do it in 3D. That would be awesome. Once you've got the 3D planet with the atmosphere, you can then rotate it around and use different views for the 2D images, yes?

Sounds like you know what you're doing. However, there shouldn't be any need for shadows, since DW makes those itself.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

EDIT: -

quote:

Ah, you mean shadows for terrain. Now I'm with you. Forgive me for being a bit slow. I'm drinking the last of my Ale supplies before Data makes another 'visit' to the cargobay.

< Message edited by Igard -- 7/15/2011 9:03:56 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 19
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/15/2011 9:26:46 PM   
Data

Wow, lots of tutorials here from the workshops of the masters *quickly takes this all down on paper*
Anyone fancies a modding manual for beginners? Or a modding AAR

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 20
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/16/2011 12:45:33 AM   
tjhkkr

Amen to that Data!

By the way: for the record, if my premier task force gets trashed by a butterfly, I am not going to be a happy camper...
Or if you turn a black hole into a flower like dealy , and my favorite cruiser is destroyed, I am gonna blame all of you!

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 7/16/2011 12:49:16 AM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 21
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/16/2011 3:32:50 AM   
Shark7

Ok guys, here is the teaser. One gas giant with an atmostphere. The ones I do for real will be much, much better than this, I just put this together for a test to see how well it will work, so it is a job of very quick texturing (read not up to my release standards).

On a background so you can actually tell what it looks like 'in space'.

Once I get some real maps done and do this for real, I'll start a thread in the modding section for it. And I need to spend a lot more time on the texturing than I did with this test, but I wanted something to see if it could work like I want, and give yall something to see.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shark7 -- 7/16/2011 3:42:41 AM >

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 22
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/16/2011 4:29:41 AM   
Igard

Looks like you're off to a good start, Shark.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 23
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/16/2011 7:40:20 AM   
J HG T

Sweet job, Shark7! Interesting to see what you can with other planets.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 24
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/16/2011 4:08:41 PM   
Shark7

It's going to take some time for sure, continental, Swampy, etc planets aren't as easy as a blurred, twirled gradient thrown together in 30 minutes for the gas giant example. I want these to look good, so if I can't do it in a way that makes me feel good about it, it just won't happen. It's going to be like the ship art I did for WiTP:AE...going to take a lot of practice before I get it down.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 25
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/16/2011 9:09:09 PM   
Data

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 26
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/16/2011 9:13:26 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it

Only if you have the skills, tools and the time to do it :)

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 27
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/16/2011 9:27:41 PM   
Igard

quote:

Only if you have the skills, tools and the time to do it :)

All too true.

I'd say the really difficult part of this, is replaceing ALL the planet images. There are so many, I don't think I got half way before I gave in.

All I can say is, good luck Shark7. Keep at it, and if you don't get there, we can always combine our planet images together. We'll get there in the end that way.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 28
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/16/2011 11:49:07 PM   
Hanny

http://www.darkbeholder.com/seiv/imagemod/
http://www.darkbeholder.com/seiv/imagemod/Planets.png

Might give you some inspiration.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 29
RE: Terrible Planet Looks... - 7/17/2011 12:05:07 AM   
Baleur

quote:

Yeah, thats what i did back in the day when i used to do 3d space art. Just 2 spheres, well 3 actually.
1 for terrain, 1 for clouds (with a ridiculously tiny increase in size, to add barely noticeable shadows) and 1 for a hazy atmosphere.
Examples;

Maybe this one would qualify as "pretteh" due to being pinky? =)

Solaris

< Message edited by Baleur -- 7/17/2011 12:06:02 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Terrible Planet Looks... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI