Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 9:42:42 PM   
AKCLIMBER

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

I know, but I can't help thinking that 103$ for a game is much, so it has to be a great game.
I'm thinking and reading :) and I will decide soon.

Before purchasing WITE, with the exception of a brief foray into Steel Panthers, I hadn't played a turn based wargame in 25 years. I usually prefer "real time" games and have been a huge fan of all the iterations of the Close Combat series and more recently Battle for the Bulge. I've gotta say, WITE is a wildly addictive, engrossing, fun game and even tho it's expensive, it represents great value since you'll find yourself playing and planning for hours on end. Heck, during one game, when I was having a particularly tense and challenging time isolating LGrad before winter, I ended up staying awake all night as I obsessively drove my pixeltruppen to near collapse (and it was during the week, when I had a hellishly busy day planned at work - not good!). I hadn't stayed up all night like that since my partying college days many years ago. As far as the game's depth, it's designed well enough that you can choose to delve into those depths or not - either way it's highly playable. And man, the level of support from the devlopers in tweaking the game and constantly trying to improve it is pretty amazing as well.

Buy it - I doubt you'll regret it!

Cheers!

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 31
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 5:59:09 AM   
Zakhal

Its an excellent game and takes large quantities of time but I guess running war is a 24/7 business. 

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."Ė Edmund Burke

(in reply to AKCLIMBER)
Post #: 32
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 8:59:06 AM   
rolypoly

pics coming soon as I hang it on to my wall - the print was 50Ä + getting it framed another 50Ä, board pens around 4-6Ä per set.

it got enough space to mark every division if needed. im still trying to figure out how to utilize it the best... maybe it will get more usefull after the war gets more static - ie. marking enemy units as accurately as u can, so you can detect weak spots and plan offensives etc accordingly.

of course i need to learn the real symbols used by OKH :)

edit: a bit like this http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29541
http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=43

< Message edited by rolypoly -- 7/1/2011 10:46:48 AM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 33
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 11:58:24 AM   
Empire101

Can't wait to see those pics.

Have always been a monster game fan, SPI's 'War in Europe' being one of my favourites. Balked at first at the steep price, but man, it was WORTH it!!!
Have even purchased a second copy for my brother so that we can play PBEM.

Its taking over my life

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 34
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 1:07:46 PM   
Commanderski

Can't wait to see a picture of that too. When I first read it I was thinking in feet not meters, but that map is HUGE. While I don't have the time to play as often as I want (too many games, not enough time) I'm on this forum every day. With hotter weather coming up I have started back up with a Grand Campaign and will be doing some research to maybe create a scenario.

Like most here I have spent more time with this game than any other and is the only game I ever considered taking a vacation to play and still might if they do a couple of more patches.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 35
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 1:16:58 PM   
rolypoly

as promised: http://i55.tinypic.com/29kuyd5.jpg

sorry for the fuzzy quality, the dude in the art gallery obviously can FRAME the thing, but not photoshoot it

edit: I used "Planning map (Operationskarte)" by goranw, which I also use ingame.

< Message edited by rolypoly -- 7/1/2011 1:28:11 PM >

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 36
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 2:08:43 PM   
coolts

quote:

ORIGINAL: rolypoly

sorry for the fuzzy quality, the dude in the art gallery obviously can FRAME the thing, but not photoshoot it

edit: I used "Planning map (Operationskarte)" by goranw, which I also use ingame.

OH
MY
GOD

ps. Just got paid ;) Who needs mirrors? I want one of those on my wall

< Message edited by coolts -- 7/1/2011 2:11:08 PM >

"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 37
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 2:10:51 PM   
AKCLIMBER

quote:

Wow! Very cool!

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 38
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 2:18:18 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

Ooooh! That is sooooo coool! Respect!

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 39
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 2:43:09 PM   
rolypoly

thanks guys! really made me feel more confident of my purchase! i put 3mm thick plywood behind the map, so it feels quite solid. they promised me the thing should last for years of use with water-soluble pens, over and over again.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 40
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 2:59:57 PM   
coolts

Just make sure you donít mix up whiteboard markers with permanent markers! One of my former students did that to me during a lesson.

They never found the bodyÖ..

"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 41
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 3:03:17 PM   
rolypoly

quote:

ORIGINAL: coolts

Just make sure you donít mix up whiteboard markers with permanent markers! One of my former students did that to me during a lesson.

They never found the bodyÖ..

Triple checked!

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 42
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 3:13:41 PM   
kvolk

quote:

Want to add my OMG!! to the list...awesome...

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 43
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 5:17:22 PM   
Empire101

I want one!!!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 44
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 6:22:38 PM   
JAMiAM

Very nice! Even through the blurry photo, the map's artwork really shines through. The mountainous regions so look like they're in relief that the map looks 'alive'.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 45
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 6:37:00 PM   
Vyper

quote:

ORIGINAL: coolts

With the possible exception of Zelda: Ocarina of time on the N64, I think that WITE might just be the best. I Ďummedí and Ďahhedí for over a month because;

ē I hadnít played a proper war game before. Chess, Civ, a zillion RTS games, yes, but nothing like this. Would I even like it?
ē It was quite expensive compared to most PC games.
ē There was no demo.

But after reading a lot of reviews and having a hankering for a proper wargame I thought, ďI might as well start at the topĒ, and bought it.

Blimey, that wasÖ..[counts fingers]..5 months ago! I am still learning. What a ride. I started my 1st PBEM & AAR this week and have had countless queries answered by knowledgeable forumites and am re-reading the manual almost daily (alt-tab).

Value for money? Itís a no brainer. Iíve spent more than that on a crap night out many times and this has entertained me for months and Iím still enthralled. Countless little dramas and agonising decisions. Mistakes that haunt you and victories you gibber on about at work to blank faced colleagues.

Just like Zelda then.

Keep it up Gary & Co. and thanks for the ride.

Coolts (a new convert)

Ps. Can someone kick the matrix games site admins to fix the sodding search function ;) or i wil send my database guy round for a 'nerd-off'
Pps. I aint growing a beard
Ppps. Did i mention the friendly forums?

Nice thread.

I can't agree more. My very first foray into the world of war gaming was about 1976 with Avalon Hill's Panzer Blitz. This game has brought back those good memories with a vengeance.

This game has been an amazing discovery, where my old school gaming desires finally are matched with modern day technology in a way that should be.

I bought this game sight unseen back in January, just hearing from a friend he liked it. After reading the game sight and forums for a few days, I willing put out the $90 for the hardcopy. (BTW, I would have willingly give another $40 for a professionally done complete hard manual.)

I have found myself completely sucked into the details....and once again found something that has re-kindled my desire to study history of the period.

The 2 multiplayer 41 GC's I have currently and a few "practice" GC's vs the AI have completely stolen all my free time...leaving me in grognard bliss Best $90 I have spent in a very long time.

My thanks to the designers and support staff who are continuing to work/improve on this game.

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 46
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 7:12:44 PM   
Commanderski

quote:

I have to add my too. That's great! If Matrix sold them they would sell pretty good. I do have a spare room that may just turn into a war room with something like that on the wall.

(in reply to Vyper)
Post #: 47
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/1/2011 10:20:57 PM   
PyleDriver

Yep, wall decos in you computer room, made to fit...That would cause a few problems with the other half...lol...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 48
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/2/2011 1:44:06 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Yep, wall decos in you computer room, made to fit...That would cause a few problems with the other half...lol...

Im lucky if I can get anyone to move in here with the stuff I have allready. Map like that...well I would need a separete map room.

The map looks very good on my 52" screen. Only thing I might need is better view of where my corps and armies are. I could use a real map with that. Its too easy to forget them because there is no overview of them in the game. I can only remember handful of my armies. The rest are strangers and I too easily dont pay enough attension to them.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 7/2/2011 2:02:38 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."Ė Edmund Burke

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 49
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/2/2011 2:26:46 AM   
rolypoly

many thanks to my cousin for purchasing the game...im indebted to hin for remaining of my lige

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 50
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/2/2011 8:59:17 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

now I know what I want for my birthday

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 51
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/2/2011 9:34:30 AM   
EisenHammer

quote:

Nice...

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 52
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/2/2011 11:17:18 AM   
rolypoly

dont worry bout your other halves - half = 50%. 1x1.3m should only take a tiny amount of space from the mancave u own

(in reply to EisenHammer)
Post #: 53
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/2/2011 7:34:14 PM   
lenin

There's a printed manual

"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 54
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/2/2011 10:40:51 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

It all sounds very good, but is it a game for people like me?:
I love war games with depth. I know nothing about those counters, in fact I would rather have sprites. I also like nice looking graphics.
But most important is that it is fun. What are the highlights of this game and is it worth all the money? It is quite expensive.
I'm just curious, have read several reviews but can not decide myself.

In a way this is probably the cheapest game I have ever bought. Dividing cost by hours played I have probably spent more money on electricity playing the game than on the game itself.

I only play on server. The games are very tense. For the Russian it's survival, for the germans giving the soviets such a kicking they can't recover. For me it's about doing better than historically. In other words, for me a German win means surviving longer than historically.

For a game of this size and depth, I think it's simple to play. A lot harder to play well but that takes practice, and is hepled by studying osme of the advice threads and the AARs.

Highlights - a feeling of terror on opening the returned game, and then the realisation at the end of my turn that it has to be worse for my opponent (apart from the one who gave me a real kicking).

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 55
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 7/19/2011 3:22:16 PM   
Commanderski

I think I'm going to have a map like that made too. Which file did you send to the printer/map maker?

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI