Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The best £50 Iíve ever spent?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The best £50 Iíve ever spent? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/29/2011 5:53:13 PM   
coolts

With the possible exception of Zelda: Ocarina of time on the N64, I think that WITE might just be the best. I Ďummedí and Ďahhedí for over a month because;

ē I hadnít played a proper war game before. Chess, Civ, a zillion RTS games, yes, but nothing like this. Would I even like it?
ē It was quite expensive compared to most PC games.
ē There was no demo.

But after reading a lot of reviews and having a hankering for a proper wargame I thought, ďI might as well start at the topĒ, and bought it.

Blimey, that wasÖ..[counts fingers]..5 months ago! I am still learning. What a ride. I started my 1st PBEM & AAR this week and have had countless queries answered by knowledgeable forumites and am re-reading the manual almost daily (alt-tab).

Value for money? Itís a no brainer. Iíve spent more than that on a crap night out many times and this has entertained me for months and Iím still enthralled. Countless little dramas and agonising decisions. Mistakes that haunt you and victories you gibber on about at work to blank faced colleagues.

Just like Zelda then.

Keep it up Gary & Co. and thanks for the ride.

Coolts (a new convert)

Ps. Can someone kick the matrix games site admins to fix the sodding search function ;) or i wil send my database guy round for a 'nerd-off'
Pps. I aint growing a beard
Ppps. Did i mention the friendly forums?

< Message edited by coolts -- 6/29/2011 5:54:32 PM >

"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix
Post #: 1
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/29/2011 7:06:41 PM   
Tarhunnas

I agree wholeheartedly. It's been many years since I spent so much time and had such a good time with a game!

Read my AAR:s ye mighty, and despair!
41Ger
41Sov
41Ger
42Ger
42Sov

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 2
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/29/2011 7:35:53 PM   
larryfulkerson

+1.  I like the WITE game just fine and want to help find all the little nit picky things that will help this great game be even better.  I've got two PBEM games going ( KLilly and Aoline ) and am playing against the Axis AI to practice and it's all I do any more.  Lots of entertainment value in this game.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 3
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/29/2011 7:37:57 PM   
kvolk

Can't agree more. Great game that has consumed my time and attention in all the ways that are good in war gaming.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/29/2011 8:52:39 PM   
lenin

I agree. Bought this today and RTFM. I suspect I'll be playing this for years.....

"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"

(in reply to kvolk)
Post #: 5
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/29/2011 10:23:12 PM   
achillesdave

I was hesitant to buy this because of the price and thinking it might be too difficult for me to learn and just get shelved. Ive been playing this for about two weeks now and its a dream come true for this eastern front nerd. The amount of work that went into this is incredible.

(in reply to lenin)
Post #: 6
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/29/2011 10:42:48 PM   
Bourguignon

I must say I'm agree with you sirs!
Lot of good time playing this game. I'm loosing my social life!!!

good job
just waiting for war in the west ;=)

excuse my (poor) English

(in reply to achillesdave)
Post #: 7
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/29/2011 11:22:39 PM   
coolts

quote:

ORIGINAL: achillesdave

I was hesitant to buy this because of the price and thinking it might be too difficult for me to learn and just get shelved. Ive been playing this for about two weeks now and its a dream come true for this eastern front nerd. The amount of work that went into this is incredible.

Hehe. You are at the begining of a rollercoaster ride. Dig your fingernails in, enjoy the rush and be prepared to learn! How many computer games actually teach you anything? Mavis Beacon typing and War in the East!

< Message edited by coolts -- 6/30/2011 12:00:50 AM >

"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix

(in reply to lenin)
Post #: 8
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/29/2011 11:34:12 PM   
lenin

So, should us noobs download 1.04.34. or should we wait for the official patch?

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 9
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 12:02:32 AM   
coolts

The official patch is very close i reckon. If you play server based MP, wait....

(in reply to lenin)
Post #: 10
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 12:07:14 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

I bought this game back in December (I think the day it came out) and haven't looked back. I have played and played, though I am still an amateur I love the game and the feel.

In perspective, I have played great games vs humans, and I have played poor games. What keeps me playing is that randomness and SNAFU situation that sometimes gets everything messed up...then again the entire front opens up and I surround 200k Soviet troops. Lovely.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 11
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 1:59:43 AM   
56ajax

Been playing it since it came out; game for life....

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 12
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 5:28:57 AM   
Wild

I love this game!! With the other games that will be released in this series it will definitely be a game i'll play for life.(also WitP). For me it brings everything out of the history books i have so loved for so many years to life.

I also love this forum and read every day. Tempers get a little frayed at times,but i think that just shows how passionate people are about this game.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 13
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 6:00:08 AM   
cpt flam

idem coming each day on forum
must have buy on release day and "again learning"
too great

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 14
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 7:06:19 AM   
misesfan

+1::Agreed.  In today's economy forking over $80 on a video game for dad?  The kids dont like it, but maybe I can teach them how.... 

I have to say I love this game, and it has definitely made the wife a WITE widow.... lol

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 15
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 9:37:43 AM   
Remmes

I have to agree. Although the price is steep compared to other games, the lifespan of WITE is so much longer and the gameplay so much deeper that the comparison isn't fair.

WITE gobbles up huge amounts of time though. Still absorbing everything being written here and trying and testing things at home (and enjoying every minute of it) Hopefully I'll be good enough to bring some serious opposition in a PBEM game soon....not there yet.

Great investment....

(in reply to misesfan)
Post #: 16
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 12:20:54 PM   
rolypoly

my cousin spent 140Ä and bought the game for himself, and for me as a gift. he said he needed some brainwork to balance his dull dayjob, and to get a game going on. that was 5,5 months ago, and my cousin hasnīt even touched the game yet. (even after listening hundreds of complaints from me, that he was an idiot to buy the game then in the first place)

I have played continuosly pbem scenarios ever since I got the game, and couldnt even think of a better strategy game. (or any other game for that matter) Im gonna start GC this weekend, and even spent some buck for a 1x1.3 meters sized WITE-gamemap, framed & laminated so I can insert/erase markings to it with boardpens. Of course I use different colours and official symbols, so it makes me feel like the REAL bossman in OKH 

this game rlz

(in reply to Remmes)
Post #: 17
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 12:31:21 PM   
lenin

We are all mad! I paid over £60 for this.

woobety- doob- de da!

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 18
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 12:54:37 PM   
coolts

quote:

...........and even spent some buck for a 1x1.3 meters sized WITE-gamemap, framed & laminated so I can insert/erase markings to it with boardpens. Of course I use different colours and official symbols, so it makes me feel like the REAL bossman in OKH†

this game rlz

Hold on. you've got a framed, laminated map! I NEED to see a picture of that. That sounds really cool, in an uber geeky way.

(in reply to rolypoly)
Post #: 19
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 1:04:46 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: coolts

quote:

...........and even spent some buck for a 1x1.3 meters sized WITE-gamemap, framed & laminated so I can insert/erase markings to it with boardpens. Of course I use different colours and official symbols, so it makes me feel like the REAL bossman in OKH†

this game rlz

Hold on. you've got a framed, laminated map! I NEED to see a picture of that. That sounds really cool, in an uber geeky way.

Yes, I am deeply impressed too!

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 20
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 1:11:38 PM   
Harovan

It's most certainly one of the best games I ever bought and well worth its money. I'm fine with paying more if the quality is right.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 21
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 2:03:33 PM   
jnpoint

It all sounds very good, but is it a game for people like me?:
I love war games with depth. I know nothing about those counters, in fact I would rather have sprites. I also like nice looking graphics.
But most important is that it is fun. What are the highlights of this game and is it worth all the money? It is quite expensive.
I'm just curious, have read several reviews but can not decide myself.

(in reply to Harovan)
Post #: 22
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 2:17:24 PM   
coolts

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

It all sounds very good, but is it a game for people like me?:
I love war games with depth. I know nothing about those counters, in fact I would rather have sprites. I also like nice looking graphics.
But most important is that it is fun. What are the highlights of this game and is it worth all the money? It is quite expensive.
I'm just curious, have read several reviews but can not decide myself.

Sprites? Sprites! You want polygons man not '80's technology.

However, if , as you say, you, "love wargames with depth", then look no furthur. I've been planing my spring offensive in the shower and worrying about the state of my Panzers on the way to the gym.

Its taking over!

ps. I really dont want to restart the whole "is it worth it?" debate as thats purely a matter of personal opinion. Lets just say that, in my case, i've got lots of £30 games gathering dust, and one £50 game that gets played EVERY day. You do the math.

< Message edited by coolts -- 6/30/2011 2:19:55 PM >

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 23
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 3:43:41 PM   
Scook_99

I have been thinking about doing a map like that, now I may be inspired to get it done. Framed and laminated, I like!

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 24
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 3:49:12 PM   
coolts

I wonder if it looks like this...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 25
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 3:50:26 PM   
jnpoint

quote:

However, if , as you say, you, "love wargames with depth", then look no furthur. I've been planing my spring offensive in the shower and worrying about the state of my Panzers on the way to the gym.

Its taking over!

ps. I really dont want to restart the whole "is it worth it?" debate as thats purely a matter of personal opinion. Lets just say that, in my case, i've got lots of £30 games gathering dust, and one £50 game that gets played EVERY day. You do the math.

It's more - I bought HOI 3 long time ago, but I never really liked it, although it has a lot of depth. So I just don't want to make that mistake twice

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 26
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 5:21:01 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: kvolk

Can't agree more. Great game that has consumed my time and attention in all the ways that are good in war gaming.

I bought WitE the day it was released and it has consumed a ridiculous amount of my time. However, since I started beta testing Panzer Corps, and continuing to play WitE, there is NO free time in my life. NONE at all. I should be working right now but of course I am playing.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to kvolk)
Post #: 27
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 5:30:18 PM   
coolts

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

quote:

Its taking over!

It's more - I bought HOI 3 long time ago, but I never really liked it, although it has a lot of depth. So I just don't want to make that mistake twice

Itís hard to say. I looked hard at HOI and thought "itís a hard-core Civ without Aztecs". That might be doing it a gross disservice, but I wasnít after an all-encompassing empire game, as Iíve got Civ5 & Shogun 2 for that. I specifically Ďwantedí an operational level strategic war-game as I had never played one.

Once I decided that, I began researching and WITE was released a week before my research and was reviewed a load of times so thatís how I got here.

Read the reviews and decide if itís for you.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 28
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 8:04:49 PM   
jnpoint

I know, but I can't help thinking that 103$ for a game is much, so it has to be a great game.
I'm thinking and reading :) and I will decide soon.

(in reply to coolts)
Post #: 29
RE: The best £50 Iíve ever spent? - 6/30/2011 8:58:13 PM   
Krupinski

I fully agree. It's one of the all time best wargames!

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The best £50 Iíve ever spent? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI